Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

Uh, weird. UCLA *just* sent me a APPLICATIO​N RECEIPT ACKNOWLEDG​EMENT. Shouldn't I have received this earlier? This is so bizarre.

This *is* weird. They sent me mine on October 12th. What does it all mean? (going crazy, it probably means nothing).

GL - two of my friends have already been offered admission via telephone and will be at the Hisp Ling recruitment day on March 1st. My recruitment weekend for general LING is 2nd-3rd. Hope to see you around then!

So they call first? Now I have to be constantly checking my phone as well! Lol. I'm sure I'll know something soon, be it good or bad news, since this recruitment weekend is March 1. By the way PhDreaming, does OSU cover any expenses for the visit?

This *is* weird. They sent me mine on October 12th. What does it all mean? (going crazy, it probably means nothing).

I asked and this was the reply. I guess they're not done giving out decisions.

"The fee waiver was processed. You application was reviewed but in order to fill in decision, the fee waiver needed to be input into the system. Decisions will be out soon."

And I inquired how we will be notified. The response:

"You will get an email from UCLA graduate division that your decision has been submitted. Then you will be prompted to log into the website to view decision."

Edited by busbus

"You will get an email from UCLA graduate division that your decision has been submitted. Then you will be prompted to log into the website to view decision."

The website doesn't have my decision up yet, so you can take that as a data point.

Hello all, this is my first message to the forum. I just wanted to say for the record that this is the best and worst website for hopeful graduate students. I don't believe any explanation is necessary here. We all know what I mean.

I've had a particularly disappointing week, consisting of three rejections. The remaining four programs have yet to tell me their decision. I'm eternally optimistic, however, and I appreciate all of your enthusiasm and good luck wishes.

I'd like to vent briefly that as much as I love my professors, their strong belief in my academic potential and their unsolicited ego-boosting have only left me with higher expectations than I originally wanted to have in this process. It's time to bring myself down to earth and wait patiently. If it works out, it will work out. If not, I could always try again or just move on. The last option of moving on is not very common for me, so I guess I'll be trying again next year if I find myself without an acceptance.

Again, thanks to all of you for being so positive and, above all, gracious in your acceptances and rejections. I have so much hope for our generation of scholars.

I wish all of you the best.

My week can be summed up as: "Let me in to your school!" Refresh, refresh, refresh!

This is an accurate summery of my week too, LOL.

Welcome, @travgrad, I keep my fingers crossed for you (and me, and everyone else on this thread).

So they call first? Now I have to be constantly checking my phone as well! Lol. I'm sure I'll know something soon, be it good or bad news, since this recruitment weekend is March 1. By the way PhDreaming, does OSU cover any expenses for the visit?

I saw the e-mail that my friend got following the phone call and they (hisp ling) will reimburse up to $250 for airfare. It's not a lot but it's certainly enough to cover most of the flight for a domestic student. Plus the airport is like 2 miles from downtown which is pretty nifty for such a large city. Hope that helps.

I saw the e-mail that my friend got following the phone call and they (hisp ling) will reimburse up to $250 for airfare. It's not a lot but it's certainly enough to cover most of the flight for a domestic student. Plus the airport is like 2 miles from downtown which is pretty nifty for such a large city. Hope that helps.

It does. Thanks PhDreaming!

Rejection from Stanford (Educational Linguistics). I don't like only having 1 interview. It puts a lot of pressure on that one--- like if I don't make it, the rest of my life is screwed and I'm stuck in the job I'm in now (please God no). 4 answers, 9 to go...