Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

Oh, bummer. I thought the fact Northwestern sent some rejections but haven't decided regarding my case was a good sign. Apparently it wasn't. Well, the interview with Yale is today, and Yale was always a favorite, I hope it will go well :rolleyes:

@ those who applied to Boulder.

I got my admission decison on the 22nd of March last year. So, be patient. I was admitted to an unfunded MA program, although I applied to PhD program. The first line was "Your application to the graduate program in the Department of Linguistics could not be considered for the Ph.D. because you do not meet the prerequisites for admission". It was kinda painful, since I really wanted to get into PhD program....However, it was the only school I applied to.

Finally saw some light after several rejections (I know for a fact that NYU'S rejection is on the way, my friend there said they only accepted one P-side person this year). Just got a mail by the director also my POI from Rice saying I was currently waiting-listed, but they "were authorized to accept only four people this year initially". I don't know what that 'initially' means, and I am not even sure how to reply the letter. Looks like the chance is still slim and I don't want to put my hope too high. But it's good to get some recognition after all :)

The weekend is coming :/ Have a relaxed one and hope to hear more good news from you guys next week!

That was my NYU rejection :/ From what I gathered from the e-mail though it said there was a large and highly qualified applicant pool this time around, and from what everyone's been saying, they don't accept many anyways. I guess the department comes out and says that upfront though- from my experience they're super straightforward!

Oh well, at least I was kind of prepared for it- I knew they didn't accept many and it wasn't my best fit for a program. And there's still 5 other schools so I'm not worried yet!

Yeaaahh, I'm on the wait list at Rice, too. I'm taking it as good news, but I'm not sure how ecstatic I want to allow myself to get over it. Hah, it's tricky. Considering I don't have an undergrad degree in linguistics & my GPA is pretty meh, I wasn't even sure I'd get any kind of good news from the PhD programs I applied to. I'm going to stay positive! Woo!

accepted to Columbia (teachers college) for applied linguistics, although as a Masters of Education not the Doctorate. which is perfectly fine except now I'm concerned about financial aid... we'll see what happens there. but at least it's a concrete option!

accepted to Columbia (teachers college) for applied linguistics, although as a Masters of Education not the Doctorate. which is perfectly fine except now I'm concerned about financial aid... we'll see what happens there. but at least it's a concrete option!

Congrats, Reddawg50

Like about two weeks ago my friend received a mail from her POI in Chicago saying they couldn't accept her this year. So probably they had the results for quite some time already. Not sure why no news so far.

Edited by Robertpt

huh. I emailed the general humanities admissions at chicago and said another two weeks maybe.... sounds like no one knows! I dont' want to email and 'bother' my POI .... i'm sure i'll hear eventually! don't have high hopes for chicago as it is :/