Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

Congrats, Reddawg! That's fantastic. Can't wait to be where you're at. :)

This Georgetown thing is killing me & I don't know why. Probably because it's the only program I haven't heard anything from still. Saw there were a few rejections in the results ... but no admits in socioling yet. Wondering if I'm on a waitlist. Or, I don't know. I'm over-thinking it. I'm half posting this because I'm being superstitious & convincing myself it will result in an email from them tomorrow AM.

Don't know if I could handle being on 3 "waitlists"! I really want to see where I'm at with Rice, but I'm trying to be patient, too. I also submitted a conference abstract that I will hear back on by March 31st, so of course I'm eagerly awaiting those "results" as well.

Mystic-- I hear you!!! My prof said that Gtown was in the processo hiring TWO new socio faculty... so that complicates things. It's the last school that I'm waiting to hear from (sort of-- still waiting on official news about funding from elsewhere which is the determining factor there).... Hurry up!!!

Hey guys, I have a total noob question (I'm new to Linguistics after 5 years in the English department :P ). Can you use the "lx" abbreviation in any context other than "sociolx"? I've only ever seen it in sociolx but, you know, I'm just curious...

Hey guys, I have a total noob question (I'm new to Linguistics after 5 years in the English department :P ). Can you use the "lx" abbreviation in any context other than "sociolx"? I've only ever seen it in sociolx but, you know, I'm just curious...

I mainly see it in sociolx. But I have seen it used in other subfields... not really common. But I use it myself!

I heard from all of the programs I applied to now. U Hawaii was the last one, though they can only offer me the MA program, not the Ph.D.

Who posted their result from UH? I saw "decent" funding. Does that mean it's more than the $10,000/year tuition waiver (when tuition is currently $13,392?)

hi everyone! glad to join the discussion. I also apply for linguistics this year. I'm an international undergraduate and major in English. I plan to go for Ph.D. study but because of my limited exposure to linguistics during my undergraduate study, I applied for M.A. programs first. So far I have recieved one rejection from Kansas and one non-official admisson from Purdue. Still no message from UIUC.

I have a question here. I actually don't know much about US linguistics programs, their main approaches, reputation and so on. So I would like to know more about Purdue's Linguistics program: how's its professors, reputaion and position among US linguistics programs, achievement of students and the like. Does anyone know something about this program? Thanks a lot!

I heard from all of the programs I applied to now. U Hawaii was the last one, though they can only offer me the MA program, not the Ph.D.

Who posted their result from UH? I saw "decent" funding. Does that mean it's more than the $10,000/year tuition waiver (when tuition is currently $13,392?)

I also got into the MA program (I applied as Ph.D) they were vague about funding in their initial email (I have yet to get the official letter in the mail). I also would like to know more about funding!

Looks like we may be classmates next year :)

I just got into syracuse MA with no TA. Not my number one choice, and it sure has heck tops a rejection. I can't go without fudning (international student means harder to get loans, even if I could the debt would be huge). Anyways, what are your thoughts on me contacting professors trying to find an RA? Do schools ever give RA's to students who don't get departmental TA"s? Again, its not where I want to go I am justgetting worried, and want to make sure I have a decent option

Btw saw two acceptences for Syrcause Linguistics MA in the results, are you guys going??? and to make my self feel better for not even getting waitlisted for a TA, what was your teaching experience like? I am shocked, not to sound full of myself because I have plently of flaws and really wouldn't ohave been surprised if they rejected me....but I have a ton of teaching experience or so I thought......so I was 'sure' that if I got in I would get one...

I haven't heard anything from Harvard yet, is anyone else in the same boat? I saw that rejections, interviews, and acceptances all seemed to happen last month, so I'm left wondering if they lost mine or perhaps I'm in some weird wait-list pile.

Hah, yeah if nothing happens this week... No, no, that's not possible. Something has to happen. In the meantime I'm planning a trip to visit NC State. I'm really excited to check out the campus/city, meet the faculty (WW!) & students, etc. It's not an organized visit (I invited myself!) -- anyone have any tips for this type of visit in particular? Fortunately I have a friend in the department so I'm feeling a bit more at ease about it than I otherwise would.

@LinguisticMystic Raleigh's awesome! I've never been to State, but I know plenty of people who go there and love it. I just recently took my first trip to Raleigh and the city's just a ton of fun. Love NC. Also, go wolfpack, they just got the final spot in the NCAA Tournament :)

I have to hear back this week. I want to make a decision soon! I'm hoping to hear from Pitt tomorrow (for the second time)!

LinguisticMystic thats an awsome idea. When I flew home for X-mas, I was only about 5 hours away from Syracuse, and without even being admitted, anmd I loved it. I met a few faculty and they were wonderful, and also a few students. Its the only school (besides the U of Minnesota) which I am right near that I visited and it was a great experience that I am sure it wold be even better for you because your acutally going as an admitted student.

elizabethrose14 I feel the excat same way, I literally dreamt i got in to Mich State with funding, I woke up with a huge smile on face....then reality hit.....

Hey guys, I actually can think of one concrete question I have about my options. If I get off the waitlist at Rice (fingers crossed!), would it be silly to get my master's at NC State instead of going for the PhD at Rice? I'm not really sure what's the preferred practice in linguistics -- would be straight to PhD in psychology I'm pretty sure. I really love both programs. Any insight?

Any opinions on the one year MA in linguistics? I have an offer for a one year program, and I'm waiting on a two year program. Are linguistics departments generally cool with one year (and British) masters degrees?

Any opinions on the one year MA in linguistics? I have an offer for a one year program, and I'm waiting on a two year program. Are linguistics departments generally cool with one year (and British) masters degrees?

Hey, I acutally just talked to a professor who has both a MA and PhD about this very thing. He said that as a student with good grades but not "great grades" as many top linguistics applicants have I was making the right choice by not walking into a Phd program. However,when I asked about the event that I get no funding offers, looking overseas to like a one year program, he recomended against it, because i want to stay in the U.S.A. He said if I didn't care where I would be located, then that would be fine. He did say though that there is nothing that says you can't get into an American PhD Program with a one year MA degree from overseas, but based on his experience and role for a while in admissions at INdiana it is frowned upon. I'll be interested to see how others reply to this, becuase I am not saying hes right....and belive me I am praying things work out for me now, I just asked becuase I was getting scared I won't get in with funding anywhere

if you get into Rice's PhD program with funding (that is better than the NC State Master's funding), the choice should be very easy... if you get into a PhD program but without funding, or poor funding, it could be better to get a Master's, and then re-apply to PhD programs so that you get into one that is better and covers your expenses.

If the program you're talking about is Edinburgh, then absolutely. That's an excellent program.

If the program you're talking about is Edinburgh, then absolutely. That's an excellent program.

Ladyling, I could kiss you! I'd heard that long ago, but since then no one has been able to offer me any information on the reputation of the program. This is what happens when you're isolated from academia AND switching departments :P

Also, yay for USCS! I grew up in Santa Cruz, which is why I applied to SFSU (and so last minute!). In-state tuition is looking really nice right about now...

How are you liking the program there? Do you mind if I ask your focus? Feel free to PM/ignore me if that's too personal.

if you get into Rice's PhD program with funding (that is better than the NC State Master's funding), the choice should be very easy... if you get into a PhD program but without funding, or poor funding, it could be better to get a Master's, and then re-apply to PhD programs so that you get into one that is better and covers your expenses.

Rice's funding would be better if I got in. I guess I just didn't want to admit to myself how disappointing it will be if I don't get off of their waitlist. Dammit!

Rice's funding would be better if I got in. I guess I just didn't want to admit to myself how disappointing it will be if I don't get off of their waitlist. Dammit!

With only four quota on the line, I don't expect too much from Rice. With the competition this year, I don't think many ppl will give up their spots either. But I do hope the final results could come out soon.