Linguistics 2012

bluetourmaline

wame0601: A lot of Canadian programs offer funding (to Canadians at least), uOttawa, UBC and McGill to name a few at the MA level. SSHRC and OGS both offer MA funding.

I say this because you mentioned being Canadian in that other thread.

Thanks! I was actually offered a teaching assistantship/full tuition remission/heath insurance in the same email. So... yay! I really couldn't be more excited right now. Can't stop beaming! Very excited to work with Walt Wolfram.

funology, yeah I know, i've already applied to U.S Schools though, oh well I guess all I can do is hope

So I don't mean to bum everyone but what would you do if you were me and you have heard from nowhere and this happens ...

I did this indepedant study (TESL research project) last spring and my idiot advisor submitted the wrong paper work, and took my school a year to process. Yesterday I find out that he gave me a C-, and not only that the course was 4 credits, and has been on my transcript since early Jan (before I applied to EMU, and after my transcript had been forwarded to a few other places. Well after grade appealing and freaking out all day he admitted he made a mistake, changed the grade to a B+ what i earned, and is re-writing his letter of rec to EMU, because he told them explicitly about the C- (I mean they saw the transcript too). He says its going to take my school 24 hours to process the grade change. But I still am freaking out to the point where I wanna cry, I mean in the last three years I have a 3.5 (almost a 3.6 with the change. (but 3.4 overall) However, in an independant study related to education and linguistics only a year ago as far as some schools know I did terrible. Do you think when its fixed I should send in a new transcript?? Also, do you think I should explain why they are getting another letter of rec? (I only used him for rec letters a few times but where he mentioned the C- hes re sending) It still makes me mad because in his second letter he just says he gave me a B+ not that he messed up the first time. Sorry for the panick, just figured you'd understand better then all my none grad school going friends.

But I still am freaking out to the point where I wanna cry, I mean in the last three years I have a 3.5 (almost a 3.6 with the change. (but 3.4 overall) However, in an independant study related to education and linguistics only a year ago as far as some schools know I did terrible. Do you think when its fixed I should send in a new transcript?? Also, do you think I should explain why they are getting another letter of rec? (I only used him for rec letters a few times but where he mentioned the C- hes re sending) It still makes me mad because in his second letter he just says he gave me a B+ not that he messed up the first time. Sorry for the panick, just figured you'd understand better then all my none grad school going friends.

Awww.. that sucks. I hope you get in one way or another (there's always next year if this year doesn't work out - just look at me). And why exactly did your advisor point out the C-? Or maybe I should first ask - how did he point it out?

Edited by busbus

He said in his letter, all the courses I've taken with him and the grades I got. So yaaa....and I know but lviing in my parents basement next year sounds right terrible. Forigen kid=hard to find american job lol. but thanks for hoping it works out :)

Edited by wame0601

Hi, everyone! My name is Claire. I wanted to join the topic because I've been going through the grad school application process and wanted to commiserate/celebrate with others!

So far I've been accepted to Indiana University (MA), University of Florida (MA), and rejected from University of Chicago (PhD - though interestingly, my application was forwarded to the MAPSS program, and they accepted me) and New York University, the latter of which is okay because we weren't a great match. I am bummed about U of C, though - I was so excited about their program. I'm hoping I can re-apply after I get an MA, since I would love to work with several of the professors there.

Congrads on Indiana, I am studying under (I am still an undergrad) someone who did his masters and Phd there...and hes literally brilliant, I am doing n awsome phonology senior project under him. I didn't apply because I want to do a masters before my PhD, and they don't fund (or didn't in the past at least, thier MA students), will you attend Indiana?

Claire, may I ask where you are deciding to go? I'm interested in applying to both programs for next year (if this year doesn't work out with my choices) and I'd like to know your thought process is for choosing. Many thanks in advance!

Claire, may I ask where you are deciding to go? I'm interested in applying to both programs for next year (if this year doesn't work out with my choices) and I'd like to know your thought process is for choosing. Many thanks in advance!

I'm not actually sure yet... it's really a very individual decision. Both Indiana and Florida have fantastic programs for my research interests.

I'm not actually sure yet... it's really a very individual decision. Both Indiana and Florida have fantastic programs for my research interests.

Hey Claire, I have decent/good knowledge of one of the programs you're considering. Message me if you want more info.

Edited by radiowires

well my anguishing is over--- in and going to JHU ! ! good luck to everyone else who is still waiting, and congrats to everyone else who has gotten into a program with which they're happy