NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

My supervisor told me the opposite, but who knows. European grad studies are typically less course-based and more thesis-based, similiar to Canada. As a result, we probably come out of our MSc./PhD. with more publications than our American peers. But, of course, American schools are considered to be number one around the world, so they have that going for them.

Your supervisor is not aware of the situation then. I know at least 10 phd students in France for example, I've been in France myself at one of their most prestious engineering schools ( Ecole des mines de paris ) , and believe me, the number of publications is incomparable with the publications in Canada or the USA. In addition, in european countries, it's typical to find 8 authors for the same paper !! lol everyone puts their names , it's really silly !!!!

Maybe you should consider Cambridge and Oxford as good universities and researchers, the others are not that performant !

Edited by vivaldi

Your supervisor is not aware of the situation then. I know at least 10 phd students in France for example, I've been in France myself at one of their most prestious engineering schools ( Ecole des mines de paris ) , and believe me, the number of publications is incomparable with the publications in Canada or the USA. In addition, in european countries, it's typical to find 8 authors for the same paper !! lol everyone puts their names , it's really silly !!!!

Maybe you should consider Cambridge and Oxford as good universities and researchers, the others are not that performant !

Correct. And most of the time they complete thier PhDs in three yrs. It is reall harder in North America to do PhD than in Europe.

Any news of NSERC letter today? Ppl arnd Ottawa and maybe Montreal, u shud also ask ur grad department. Its strange havent heard frm anyone abt NSERC result today?

I think some applicants received the letter but do not have enough time to update us. :) :)

My waiting time will be much longer since my current address is outside Canada.

I have my NSERC PDF letter now. Succès! Montréal letters are arrived!

I am in Montreal and didn't receive anything. When do you usually receive letters in the afternoon or the morning time ?

Nope no emails from them, and I don't feel like contributing to filling up their busy inbox with my impatient questions about it either :)

They get paid to do that, don't you think so ? Everytime I mail a faculty member, they reply kindly. It's their job !!!

Just because a custodian gets paid to clean doesn't give me a right to throw garbage on the floor ;)

Agreed. In Montreal as well and nothing yet. They said March 31 and outside of a select few, the majority are still waiting. Patience! It will come.

Just because a custodian gets paid to clean doesn't give me a right to throw garbage on the floor ;)

It's a legitimate inquery ! didn't say we must flood their inboxes with our emails.

You're giving the wrong example !!! When we talk about rights and duties, we talk about laws and not morals ;-)

Agreed. In Montreal as well and nothing yet. They said March 31 and outside of a select few, the majority are still waiting. Patience! It will come.

I can't understand why some people got the privilege to receive their letters first :-/

It's a legitimate inquery ! didn't say we must flood their inboxes with our emails.

You're giving the wrong example !!! When we talk about rights and duties, we talk about laws and not morals ;-)

I can't understand why some people got the privilege to receive their letters first :-/

That's fair. But take a look at last years McGill stats. 50% of the NSERC quota received funding. I wouldn't lose sleep over this because you could be stressing out to get a No. I hope not, but that's the reality. Have a beer and keep yourself busy.

That's fair. But take a look at last years McGill stats. 50% of the NSERC quota received funding. I wouldn't lose sleep over this because you could be stressing out to get a No. I hope not, but that's the reality. Have a beer and keep yourself busy.

Have a beer and keep yourslef busy....i like that...keep yourself busy with the beer?

I do not drink alcoholic drinks anymore :-)

If 50% of Mcgill NSERC quota received the scholarship last year, it doesn't mean it will be the case for this year, and it also doesn't mean that you won't be from the 50% that didn't get the scholarship.

Anyway good luck dude !