NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I am a PDF applicant, I have 4 first author IEEE Trans journals and 1 second author, 13 conference papers, I also have one best paper award. But I guess my chances are low since it seems these days people are generating journals faster than a copy machine :D

I've read that a guy who won it over here has 37 publications ??? wooooo ! lol

you can do a post doc for one single year ! can't you ?

Anyway, good luck. :-) I started to loose hope to win NSERC :-/ it feels my file is so weak compared to others :(((

you can do a post doc for one single year ! can't you ?

Anyway, good luck. :-) I started to loose hope to win NSERC :-/ it feels my file is so weak compared to others :(((

Yes, but finding an academic job is very hard and I guess I should search for more funding the year after. I dont think your application is weak, I only had one journal and a few conferences and got CGS3D three years a go.

Can someone win Vanier CGS and NSERC CGS at the same time ?

Vivaldi - in 2009, a friend of mine was first awarded the NSERC CGSD, and then got notification of the Vanier CGS a few weeks later, so he declined the NSERC CGSD. My understanding is that both can be awarded, but only one taken up. It makes sense, in the instance that if one applied for both, and got awarded both, but then decided they didn't want to go to the school that nominated them for the Vanier, since the Vanier isn't transferable, it would be possible to then decline the Vanier and take up the NSERC at another school.

Vivaldi - in 2009, a friend of mine was first awarded the NSERC CGSD, and then got notification of the Vanier CGS a few weeks later, so he declined the NSERC CGSD. My understanding is that both can be awarded, but only one taken up. It makes sense, in the instance that if one applied for both, and got awarded both, but then decided they didn't want to go to the school that nominated them for the Vanier, since the Vanier isn't transferable, it would be possible to then decline the Vanier and take up the NSERC at another school.

I'd go for vanier if I have the same chance. I have been nominated by my university for Vanier as well. But as I think that my application is too weak for NSERC now, what would I say about vanier !! I do not believe I will take any of them !!! It feels that people have become journal/conference machine generators lol

I'd go for vanier if I have the same chance. I have been nominated by my university for Vanier as well. But as I think that my application is too weak for NSERC now, what would I say about vanier !! I do not believe I will take any of them !!! It feels that people have become journal/conference machine generators lol

Don't necessarily compare yourself just on publication count. Other people may have more publications, but they could be in very low quality journals/conferences. The NSERC reviewers will take into account the quality not just the quantity.

I am also a PGS/CGS-D applicant... I have 5 conference, 1 journal and chapters in 2 books.. I think even u have a great record and I hope both of us get CGS-D3.. Good Luck!

yes, you're right.

Don't necessarily compare yourself just on publication count. Other people may have more publications, but they could be in very low quality journals/conferences. The NSERC reviewers will take into account the quality not just the quantity.

You're right. There are also some other criteria, like transcripts, community works, leadership ...etc. We'll see what will happen tomorrow as I expect people in montreal will get their letters tomorrow.

I am also a PGS/CGS-D applicant... I have 5 conference, 1 journal and chapters in 2 books.. I think even u have a great record and I hope both of us get CGS-D3.. Good Luck!

Thank you dude, wish you all the best as well ! :-)

Anyways I already have Postdoc offer and NSERC will just make me richer :D

Can you take postdoc offer with the NSERC award? Just wanted to confirm. It looks like you have to give one to take other. Not sure how much you know about it?

Ugh. Why won't NSERC just put us out of our misery already. I'm going nutso!! :(

Hahaa... yeah crazy!.. I have visited this forum as well as my email innumerable number of times. I hope, I hear the result frm the grad office atleast tom...I dont have hope of mail reaching Edmonton tomorrow...I guess, you are from Montreal. So u shud probably knw by tom..Good luck!

yes, you're right.

You're right. There are also some other criteria, like transcripts, community works, leadership ...etc. We'll see what will happen tomorrow as I expect people in montreal will get their letters tomorrow.

I agree that journal papers alone are never a criteria (forget about the conference presentaitons, these days people present the same work again and again in many different conferences, and if thats the case, list of many same conference presentations can carry negative points during evaluation) for the selection. Your one page proposal is very important. Good luck.

Hi faming. Congratulations!!! I hope you will be awarded Banting too. Are 37 publications all journal papers? How did you accommodate all in 4 page limits?

no news yet.

Of all 37 publications, i had 14 journal articles published. 3 to 4 journal articles have been submitted (not included in these 37), 2 books and about 21 conference proceedings.

Regarding the leadership, i am reviewer for several journals and editorial board of two journals. external reviewer for a funding body.

I have applied the Marie Curie pdf (the most prestigious one in europe) and got it, but i still prefer in canada.

no news yet.

Of all 37 publications, i had 14 journal articles published. 3 to 4 journal articles have been submitted (not included in these 37), 2 books and about 21 conference proceedings.

Regarding the leadership, i am reviewer for several journals and editorial board of two journals. external reviewer for a funding body.

I have applied the Marie Curie pdf (the most prestigious one in europe) and got it, but i still prefer in canada.

WOW why dont you just apply for a faculty position, are you a recent PhD graduate? I cant imagine how you published so many papers in just 4 years of PhD. Hope you get banting.

I agree that journal papers alone are never a criteria (forget about the conference presentaitons, these days people present the same work again and again in many different conferences, and if thats the case, list of many same conference presentations can carry negative points during evaluation) for the selection. Your one page proposal is very important. Good luck.

yes, you are correct!

Publication is only one criteria. I had no repetition in my conference proceedings.

The quality of proposal is very important.

For banting pdf, the research leadership and the synergy between applicant and university is important as well.

The most important thing is whether the reviewers like you or not. :D

WOW why dont you just apply for a faculty position, are you a recent PhD graduate? I cant imagine how you published so many papers in just 4 years of PhD. Hope you get banting.

Thank you so much, Marmoor!(i had my viva in december 2011)

I have ever applied one faculty position at iowa state university, unfortunately, i had very little teaching, they refused me :(

Although no one questions my research and professional aspects. they wanted a person had more teaching.

I have to do some teaching during my pdf, otherwise, i am lame.

Edited by faming

• no news yet.

Hi faming. Your achievements are amazing. What is your area of research?

I can't understand something, if a journal paper takes between 5 months and 1 year to be published, how can a person publish 14 in 4 years ? ( not considering the conferences ? )

Hi faming. Your achievements are amazing. What is your area of research?

thanks, silicon.

I puublished two articles during M Sc.

my research is not hot, human factors, in particular protection of human from a clothing perspective.

thanks, silicon.

I puublished two articles during M Sc.

my research is not hot, human factors, in particular protection of human from a clothing perspective.

Thanks faming. I think human factors are quiet interesting and hot area. I wish you good luck with Banting fellowship application too.

I can't understand something, if a journal paper takes between 5 months and 1 year to be published, how can a person publish 14 in 4 years ? ( not considering the conferences ? )

Thanks for your question.

Sometimes it is true that it takes 5 months to 1 year to publish an article.

I even had some of them published after 1.5 years.

But there are still some fast journals, which takes 3 to 4 months.

Now I only submit my articles to those journals with a fast peer review period.

Also, one needs luck in publishing an article: if the article was sent to two reviewers with strong opinions, then it is over.

I still remember I had very hard time during my first two years of my PhD life: I usually worked 15 hours per day to perform experiments.

Thanks faming. I think human factors are quiet interesting and hot area. I wish you good luck with Banting fellowship application too.

thank you for much, silison!

Good luck with you too.

Let us cross our fingers and hope we all get the ones we have applied.

Cool. Thank you for your clarification :-)

But the problem of "fast publishing journals" , is that they do not have a great impact factor, and my supervisors usually don't go for them, still it could be a nice strategy to try both