NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

Thats bad newz tht PGS-CGS result will be known around April..:( :(.. I will personally talk with my grad advisor today afternoon and let u all knw... By tht time, if any one else has other information plz post!

I may have said this before... in the 2009 competition (2010 award year) I received notification on March 26th directly from Grad Studies at my university (in BC) and then got the letter later that week (I think). So, I'm hoping we here out west at least hear next week, but I am obviously eager to hear when others are notified, or I wouldn't be on here!

I may have said this before... in the 2009 competition (2010 award year) I received notification on March 26th directly from Grad Studies at my university (in BC) and then got the letter later that week (I think). So, I'm hoping we here out west at least hear next week, but I am obviously eager to hear when others are notified, or I wouldn't be on here!

Last year I was living in BC and got the letter around the end of March/beginning of April, so this is probably the norm. Now I live in Montreal, so I'm hoping it will come earlier. It varies from year to year. From the looks of it, no one received a letter today, so its really hard to estimate. I really need to stop lurking this forum...

Not sure if any of you recieved this email from NSERC. I recieved an email entiredl "Nomination​s open for NSERC Innovation Challenge Awards / Appel de candidatur​es pour les prix Défi innovation du CRSNG" It looks like the letters are in the process of mailing or already mailed. My guess is that some of us should recieve letters from NSERC by this Friday. Good luck to all.

In 2007, I recieverd my PGS-D award letter on March 21, 2007. The letter was dated on March 16. This year my guess is that we should recieve the same by March 23. This is purely based on my guess, but I am also very optimistic about the positive outcome of my PDF application. But lets wait and see. I will post you information here as and when they become availabe.

In total, I had 6 in # 1 journals: 4 published and 2 accepted in J. Appl. Phys. (American Institute of Physics) and IEEE Journals. But what gives me confident is not my publicaiton record but the justification of location, my resaerch thesis, and my one page proposal. My proposal is not crowded, despite 7 references in it, it really has all of the components needed for it to be successful. The proposal is a very realistic and related to my background and qualification, which I prepared in collaboration with a world class leader in my resarch. I did put significant amount of time in preparing my application (in collaboration with research professors), and later realised that I should have instead applied for Banting fellowship, by that time I had already missed the deadline. It was worth putting my effort. However, I am nervously waiting to hear some positive outcome from NSERC some time soon.

I talked with my grad advisor and she havent heard frm NSERC yet... I guess, NSERC is a bit late this year. Though. most probably I will be electronically mailed before I get the NSERC letter so hopeful of learning the outcome by this week!

Usually, candidates are the ones who get the information earlier than the Departmental Secretaries (when it comes to NSERC PGS, CGS applications). The order of notification goes like this: (1) Candidate, (2) FoGS (Faculty of Graduate Studies, and (3) Department). However, by the time candidate receives the letter, the information might be already available in the FoGS and possibly to the corresponding Departmental secretaries.

Not sure if any of you recieved this email from NSERC. I recieved an email entiredl "Nomination​s open for NSERC Innovation Challenge Awards / Appel de candidatur​es pour les prix Défi innovation du CRSNG" It looks like the letters are in the process of mailing or already mailed. My guess is that some of us should recieve letters from NSERC by this Friday. Good luck to all.

I received an e-mail about the Innovation Challenge Awards, but these have nothing to do with the CGS/PGS or PDF awards. Because of mailing time my department knew about my award before I did (last year).

Usually, candidates are the ones who get the information earlier than the Departmental Secretaries (when it comes to NSERC PGS, CGS applications). The order of notification goes like this: (1) Candidate, (2) FoGS (Faculty of Graduate Studies, and (3) Department). However, by the time candidate receives the letter, the information might be already available in the FoGS and possibly to the corresponding Departmental secretaries.

So does all the students get notified by FoGSR or only the successful applicants? I know NSERC notifies all the students.. I stay in the west so most probably, I will be notified by FoGSR or department.

So does all the students get notified by FoGSR or only the successful applicants? I know NSERC notifies all the students.. I stay in the west so most probably, I will be notified by FoGSR or department.

I did not receive a PGS D award last year, but still received a 'rejected' letter dated March 18, 2011. I received the letter (directly from NSERC, mailed to my house) around the 20th or 21st of March.

Edited by stanvx

I did not receive a PGS D award last year, but still received a 'rejected' letter dated March 18, 2010. I received the letter (directly from NSERC, mailed to my house) around the 20th or 21st of March.

Yes I agree thats what NSERC does: sends letter directly to the candidate at first.

A bit of a random thought... I've had a PGS-D for a bit, so it was my first time applying to NSERC in a couple of years (just defended at the end of '11). It was new to me that the PDF submission was now performed electronically. From what I recall in the past, the PGS was submitted via the university. Has anyone in the past applied for a PDF? Was it always electronic, or is that a new thing this year? If new, it makes me wonder if perhaps the results might also be electronic (that would sure be great!). So far however, no updates to my submission on the online system. Hmmm... I should really stop contemplating/guessing! It is what it is - in a week or two, we should all know :)

A bit of a random thought... I've had a PGS-D for a bit, so it was my first time applying to NSERC in a couple of years (just defended at the end of '11). It was new to me that the PDF submission was now performed electronically. From what I recall in the past, the PGS was submitted via the university. Has anyone in the past applied for a PDF? Was it always electronic, or is that a new thing this year? If new, it makes me wonder if perhaps the results might also be electronic (that would sure be great!). So far however, no updates to my submission on the online system. Hmmm... I should really stop contemplating/guessing! It is what it is - in a week or two, we should all know :)

If you have applied electronically (thats what I did, and not very sure how people submitted their application in previous years!), and if you log into your NSERC accout, you will be able to see that your application status as has changed to "Recieved" from "submitted". We would not be able to get any other updates other than that they recieved our application electronically. The NSERC webpage somewhere mentions that they do not send an award notification via email. In any event, we should be able to obtain a letter (hopefully very positive) from NSERC some time soon.

I feel like last year was the first time they did the electronic system, but they still mail you the results. I think they e-mailed or otherwise electronically notified my department, however.

In total, I had 6 in # 1 journals: 4 published and 2 accepted in J. Appl. Phys. (American Institute of Physics) and IEEE Journals. But what gives me confident is not my publicaiton record but the justification of location, my resaerch thesis, and my one page proposal. My proposal is not crowded, despite 7 references in it, it really has all of the components needed for it to be successful. The proposal is a very realistic and related to my background and qualification, which I prepared in collaboration with a world class leader in my resarch. I did put significant amount of time in preparing my application (in collaboration with research professors), and later realised that I should have instead applied for Banting fellowship, by that time I had already missed the deadline. It was worth putting my effort. However, I am nervously waiting to hear some positive outcome from NSERC some time soon.

Are you working in the area of semiconductor device growth or Photonics?

Since the deadline for applications is October 15th, and the notification of decision is 23 weeks from that deadline (on NSERC website), that would put notification at March 24th (a Saturday, so next business day is Monday the 26th).

These are dates for people applying directly to NSERC, but I'm sure it works out the same for people applying to schools directly........