NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

Doing a quick search on NSERC's funding results database reveals a few PDF awards in 1999-2000 that were $40k. I'm not sure if that was the standard PDF rate back then (as there seem to be a very limited number), or if that was something special, but nevertheless, it looks like it goes back at that rate at least ~10 years or so. So much for cost of living increases!!

Doing a quick search on NSERC's funding results database reveals a few PDF awards in 1999-2000 that were $40k. I'm not sure if that was the standard PDF rate back then (as there seem to be a very limited number), or if that was something special, but nevertheless, it looks like it goes back at that rate at least ~10 years or so. So much for cost of living increases!!

Life is gettting tough...

I looked at the letter I received from grad studies that said my application was recommended and being forwarded to NSERC... it said to expect to hear from them "sometime in April".

I'm guessing that was just a conservative estimate?

Oh well, no point in getting worked up about it. We'll hear about it soon enough.

(You know I'm getting anxious when I'm re-reading that grad studies email)

I didn't actually hear from the grad studies department until after I received the letter last year. Crossing my fingers again for this year - I wish the CGS M lasted for more than 1 year!

I didn't actually hear from the grad studies department until after I received the letter last year. Crossing my fingers again for this year - I wish the CGS M lasted for more than 1 year!

I heard that it used to. I wish so too. Luckily I've applied to some other funding sources for next year but won't hear back for a month or so.

For those of you looking for further confirmation, here is an excerpt from the latest NSERC Contact Newsletter dated February 2012:

The 2012 competitions for [...] scholarships and fellowships will conclude shortly, and staff have begun processing the results. NSERC expects to notify applicants of their results in late March. A public announcement of the full competition results and associated statistical reports will be planned shortly after applicants are notified; however, the exact timing has not been confirmed.

(Nothing new here)

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Contact-Contact_eng.asp#3

and to add the same was true for 2010 year as well... ppl strted receiving letter arnd March-20 so if the NSERC is on time I guess, we will start receiving letter frm Monday... Ottawa guyz get ready,,,:)

Hi, Do you have a direct link to that information?

40K in 1999 with inflation (does not take into account housing cost) is near 53K in 2012!

FYI:

I e-mailed my graduate program coordinator today (at McGill) asking whether they have received any information on the PGS-CGS results. He said they don't expect to hear anything until April.

Hi Wallace,

To find that info, I went to the NSERC Awards Search Engine: http://www.outil.ost.uqam.ca/CRSNG/Outil.aspx?Langue=Anglais

Type in competition year '97-'02 (just to avoid a million hits)

Program --> Postdoctoral Fellowships

Minimum award amount = 40,000,

And voila!

As I said in my earlier post, there certainly aren't tons of awards in '99, so it makes me wonder if those might have been perhaps special ones. If you set the minimum value to 35k, there are about 20-fold more hits that show up (suggesting maybe 35 was the minimum?) I don't know.