NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I've just found out that several universities received their NSERC USRA results today. Graduate results shouldn't be far behind...

The names of the successful NSERC USRA students at my university were circulated last week, but yes, hopefully the graduate results are on their way!

I have some new info! I heard from a source with the inside scoop that the letters won't be coming out until the budget is released. The applicants have all been ranked, but they won't know how many awards can be given out until they get the budget information. This likely puts us at early April for letters, sorry all!

I have some new info! I heard from a source with the inside scoop that the letters won't be coming out until the budget is released. The applicants have all been ranked, but they won't know how many awards can be given out until they get the budget information. This likely puts us at early April for letters, sorry all!

How do you think this factors into the rankings considering they say some of the changes will be immediate?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/03/06/technology-goodyear-national-research-council.html

Last year someone reported in this forum to have been notified by the department on March 18, 2011 whereas budget was tabled on March 22, 2011. I guess everything is finalized, including who is going to be awarded or not; and likewise the past year, we will hear from the department even before the budget is tabled this year (March 29). Hope this is the case, can't wait anymore :(

Well that can only result in more IRDF's instead of PDF's. BTW based on the below link we will have no news from NSERC till April

http://www.thestar.c...red-on-march-29

So far I understand, although an IRDF is awarded but there is no assurance of find out a suitable company. That means an IRDF may not help at all.

Am I right? Can someone please give me a better understanding?

Thanks for letting us know, afromsk! This helps me to stop checking this thread so obsessively.

I would second the comment that USRA results have no bearing on the PGS/PDF awards timing. The way I understood it when I was competing for a USRA (2008 and 2010) was that NSERC gives each university/department a fixed number of USRAs, then the department chooses how to award them. A formal application has to be sent to NSERC before the award is 100% official, but NSERC essentially just verifies that the student and project are eligible. NSERC does not have committees to rank the USRA applicants.

I highly doubt NSERC will be seeing an increase in funding anytime soon.

Especially not this year, since the government has asked every ministry to provide two scenarios for budget cuts (5% or 10%).

I was not even sure whether my application is submitted to NSERC. Am I supposed to get any letter from the department if its not been forwarded? In the online application its says submitted, where as in the online portal it says

2. Submit your application to your institution for approval (status will appear as Submitted).

3. Your institution submits your application to NSERC for consideration (status will appear as Approved).

Anybody have any idea?

I was not even sure whether my application is submitted to NSERC. Am I supposed to get any letter from the department if its not been forwarded? In the online application its says submitted, where as in the online portal it says

2. Submit your application to your institution for approval (status will appear as Submitted).

3. Your institution submits your application to NSERC for consideration (status will appear as Approved).

Anybody have any idea?

I am a PGS/CGS applicant....If the status of your online application is "Received" then it has been forwarded to NSERC by the university.

Anybody have any idea?

Your university should have told you if they were forwarding or not. Ask your Faculty/College of Graduate Studies if you are unclear.

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but on the NSERC website they give a rundown of postgraduate scholarships and under CGS/PGS M/D, in the section called "Notification of Decision, it gives a mail-by date. I have checked it in the past and it used to say notification would be given by mail by March 23rd, it now seems to say by March 31st. I would agree that they probably won't be mailed out until next week... http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/BellandPostgrad-BelletSuperieures_eng.asp

I emailed NSERC to ask about the delay:

Hi,

Word is out that the announcements have been delayed until April, due to the pending budget. I was wondering if you could confirm or deny if this is the case? (Don't need to know about my particular application, just would be nice to know not to stress this week or next if the decision isn't coming!) Thanks,

and got this response this morning:

Good morning Mr. XXXXX;

No need to stress this week, or next week for that matter.

Best of luck!