American Studies 2012?

wintergirl

@bespeckled, thank you, and stay positive. It's still so early. What do you want to study? I noticed you applied mostly to English programs so it's gotta be something related to literature? :)

Haha, yes! I'm getting my MA in American Studies right now but my BA's in English, so I kind of straddle the line. I'm interested in American lit and film (and history and popular culture) and the role of both in creating national/regional mythologies--particularly when it comes to the US West. And you?

I took off my list of programs due to an attack of extreme pessimism, but my AmStud programs are USC, Michigan, and Yale. Fingers crossed for us all!!

Edited by bespeckled

@Fanon_Fanatic, thanks, and congrats to you on your acceptances! Yes it feels great to get that first acceptance out of the way. I was chomping at the bits all week, losing sleep and everything. Now I can sit back and enjoy the ride without stressing so much. Hey I noticed that we applied to several of the same programs. Just in case I missed this info in another post, what are your research interests?

@Bespeckled, thanks for the congrats also. I have to agree with Fanon_Fanatic that it is still early in the game. When I applied in '09' for masters and PhD programs, I didn't hear anything good until the second week of February, so sit tight and think positive.

@alh, I work on black masculinity, gender and sexuality,queer Studies, hip-hop and popular culture, and African American Literature. Because of various factors that attracted me to each program, it's hard to say which one is my top choice. But I can say that the frequent sunny weather in Southern California definitely sweetens USC's pot.

Edited by supernova1

@supernova1, I study race and visuality (literature, media and performances), and I am obsessed with racial ontology/epistemology. Hence, my love affair with Fanon, Spillers, Hartman and others. I'm most interested in constructions of blackness, but also interested in how race as a whole informs social understanding. On the performance side, I'm interested in spoken word and stand up comedy. :) And African American poetry.

@supernova1 it seems like there are lots of queer studies folks applying this year... which bodes well for where scholarship is heading in the future! also, i second your sentiment about california's weather. place will definitely play a big role in how i make my program decisions.

and to answer my own questions...i love all of the programs i applied to but feel best suited for about 4 of them. right now, i've been daydreaming a lot about minnesota. my partner was just accepted to their anthropology program and i was waitlisted for am. studies. fingers crossed for how the next few weeks go!

oh and i study gender, sexuality, feminist and queer theory, american lit, cinema (esp. the avant-garde), history, memory, the gothic, witches, popular culture, feminist art. you know the regular... bodies, fluids, sex, darkness, and horror. haha.

Edited by alh

@Bespeckled, thanks for the congrats also. I have to agree with Fanon_Fanatic that it is still early in the game. When I applied in '09' for masters and PhD programs, I didn't hear anything good until the second week of February, so sit tight and think positive

Thanks, @supernova1. : ) Trying not to sink into the pit of despair but...

All I know is that USC is freaking killing me. KILLING ME.

This might be of interest to applicants to the UMN program. I emailed the department to find out when the decisions will be available and received the following response:

"We expect all notifications to applicants to be sent out by the end of this week."

Right, I can confirm that too. I spoke to the DGS after I was admitted to the University of Minnesota's American Studies program. He said they were shooting for a cohort of 4 and folks would hear about funding in February or March. Minnesota is just now going through its schoolwide fellowship competition.

Good luck everyone!

FYI, everybody: NYU American Studies called accepted students for the PhD program last night. I do not know the status of the waiting list, but I doubt it's likely that they called waitlisted people last night because the DGS called me rather late in the evening and he still wasn't finished calling admitted students. 5/195 applicants were admitted...an inchoate but pretty assuring picture of funding was made available. Recruitment weekend is more than likely happening next weekend, which is mad. I am still in shock. They are notorious for being the LAST folks to notify people. Feel free to message me with questions!

Congrats, waitingwaitingum!

Also, do you (or anyone) happen to know anything about the application statuses for UMN American Studies? Mine changed from "Awaiting Program Decision" to "Final Review" today. I took UMN (and still do) as an unofficial rejection, but, of course now I'm a tiny bit curious as it seems like an accepted poster above also had the same status. I'm going to take it to mean "Final Review" before rejected, haha, since the 8 have already been notified. Just fishing around for non-existent glimmers of hope left and right. Yeah!

@alh I see that you've crossed out NYU American Studies. Did you get accepted/waitlisted/rejected? I haven't heard anything back yet. Based on other NYU-related comments, I don't think I made the cut or the waitlist.

@rjsmith1031 I haven't heard an "official" response from either NYU or UChicago. BUT both schools already notified their accepted students, so I'm just assuming that I didn't make the cut! With that said, I was wait-listed at Minnesota. Congrats on your acceptance! It is such a great program. What is your top choice? What do you study?

@alh Thanks you! My first choice is Yale but I am very excited about Minnesota. I study LGBT history and culture with an emphasis on gentrification and consumer culture. How about you? What are your top choices? What's your focus?

Best of luck!

@rjsmith: Your work sounds great! Is there a region you focus on? The Twin Cities have a really interesting queer past, so Minnesota would be great for that! (Have you read "Finding the Movement" by Anne Enke?) ?

I also love Yale's program (and their AMAZING LGBT resources). It's in my top along with Minnesota, Berkeley's Rhetoric program, and Brown's Modern Culture and Media. In my own work, I look at queer and feminist theory, the Gothic, pop culture, American film and literature, memory, the avant garde, the South (sometimes), otherness, etc.

Good luck to you! Yale should be reporting any day now... Fingers crossed for both of us!