American Studies 2012?

wintergirl

@R_Escobar

The most marketable things for university teaching are publication track record, excellent dissertation (and ability to communicate what it is in the job letter/talk), and teaching experience. If you're in an interdisciplinary field, then you'll still need to publish in history if you want a job in a history dep. that requires scholarship. So my argument is that one isn't better than another, it's what you do with it while you're a student. You might have more explaining in an interdisciplinary field (but maybe not, b/c you'd have to argue for fitness in an interdisciplinary dep. if you're just history), but it really comes down to good scholarship and good teaching experience and fitness for the job opening. I think there's more "wiggle" room in interdisciplinary studies like Am. Studies, but that's only going to be "marketable" if you're savvy about it.

@R_Escobar, I think the best way to compare is actually to compare placement rates at each institution for their respective disciplines. Also, keep in mind that since History and American Studies are closely related, it's possible that you could apply for positions in American Studies with a History degree. I'm not in History, so I don't know how strict History departments are about interdisciplinary degrees. The program I came from (interdisciplinary Communication program) had professors trained in Comm, Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Philosophy, and History.

Another way to look at the issue would be what jobs you would be qualified to hold in which disciplines. American Studies folks teach in a variety of places, not just American Studies departments. History, probably a little less so, although interdisciplinary programs will usually hire faculty from every discipline based on the department's strengths. Thinking through what introduction courses you want to teach, which of the two areas are more competitive for jobs (I hear the American Studies job market isn't that great right now), and whether you'll be able to take your degree and apply to a variety of disciplines might help you work out your questions. But I reiterate that seeking out the placement rates for each program is probably the very best indicator of how well these programs are doing in preparing their students for careers. That, and I second @climagiste's advice that whatever program you pick, building your resume along the way will really help you a lot.

Hi everyone,

Congrats to all the acceptances out there. I've been hearing back from schools, and I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping to get some feedback on.

I just heard back from GWU American Studies, and I'm accepted if they find funding, which they will be looking for in the next few weeks. Is this basically a wait list, or is something else going on? I've been invited to their information and recruitment weekend, and I'm wondering if these may serve as an interview? Any insight would be great.

Also, I've gotten acceptances to Indiana and W&M. I'm coming from religious studies, so I'm not as familiar with the AS landscape. I just haven't seen many/any applicants for these two schools, and I'm thinking this is a bit odd.

Still waiting on Maryland...

Thanks a lot!

To those of you waiting to hear about funding at GWU, it's definitely a complicated situation, and I would recommend speaking to your recommenders, or even to the DGS or the Graduate Coordinator at GWU who will probably be glad to answer questions for you since they've already let you know your status. If they are waiting for funding only, then it essentially means that you're accepted without funding. However, some schools will not bring in students they can't fund, and therein lies the tension. I would take it as a great sign that they want you, and that they want you funded. It's also a good sign that you've been invited to the recruitment weekend. For some folks on waitlists, attending the recruitment weekends are not an option at all. So again, a positive sign that they want you.

While I know it adds to your anxiety overall, GWU is one expensive school, so going in with funding is ideal unless you come from lots of money.

I am crossing my fingers for each of you that you hear good news about your funding!

Thanks rjsmith, suzzzanna, and fanon for your responses. Interesting news--makes me think that there were quite a few people who got this same message! I'm hoping to get some answers soon. I'll definitely share anything I hear. Best of luck!

This is not technically an "American Studies" program, but some posters here may have applied to it as well: Has anyone heard anything from Stony Brook's Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature program? I'm getting sort of antsy about it, and didn't know if anyone had contacted them.

GWU - I'm in the same boat as @chambjn and @rjsmith1031. Really hoping that the university will be able to find funding for those who want to attend. Guessing I'll be seeing some of you at the informational meeting at the end of March in D.C.

And apparently I'm in this boat as well. So that's at least four of us that are essentially wait listed. I wonder how many outright acceptances they had, which might also make a difference for us if some of those acceptances opt for another program...

And apparently I'm in this boat as well. So that's at least four of us that are essentially wait listed. I wonder how many outright acceptances they had, which might also make a difference for us if some of those acceptances opt for another program...

Well, I wasn't "outright accepted" either, but did get a similar email with invitations. I did withdraw my name from consideration for funding though, as I've decided to go to Emory for the ILA. I hope they find funding for all of you!

• 1 month later...