American Studies 2012?

wintergirl

Ah omahairish, you beat me to the punch -- I hadn't refreshed to see your response. I think you might be right, though I'm staying hopeful. Best of luck; hopefully we'll get news this week!

Boss: "5:00...time to go home."

Office Worker: "But I haven't finished emailing the rejections yet."

Boss: "Eh...let 'em squirm. It'll give 'em something to do this weekend."

Office Worker: "Ummm...like get an anxiety ulcer?"

Boss: "Now you're thinking!!"

Hi all:

Was wondering if anyone knows anything/has any theories about the status with the Am Civ department at Harvard. There's one wait list and one acceptance up on the board. Should I cross this one off my list by now?

Hi all:

Was wondering if anyone knows anything/has any theories about the status with the Am Civ department at Harvard. There's one wait list and one acceptance up on the board. Should I cross this one off my list by now?

I'm wondering the same. But not giving up yet.

@jbw, @jsoliver it looks like all of their notifications comes via postal mail... whether that be a waitlist, rejection, or acceptance. i guess we all just gotta keep waiting!

Edited by alh

Hey folks, I've mostly been on the History board, just peeking here now that I'm anxious about hearing back from the Yale American Studies program. Thought I should say: I was the person who posted the Harvard Am Civ acceptance. I got it by mail, but the Graduate Administrator sent an email to all of the accepted students about a week ago, so I'm guessing that if you haven't heard by now, a direct acceptance is probably unlikely. That said, waitlist notifications could well still on their way. Good luck to all!

Meanwhile, what's up with Yale?

I've added Yale to implicits -- I feel like with all the bridge program acceptances up that it seems likely the cohort's all been notified. Then again, I could be jumping the gun. Would be incredible to get in. Really happy with my results so far, but this would just be... yah.

Edited by TripWillis

Hey everyone... does anyone have any leads reg Brown AMS? Have seen one acceptance... do we think the moment of acceptance has passed? Am so tired by the whole process :(

That's all I've seen. Currently staring at the phone and performing my most concentrated attempt at Jedi mind tricks.

@alh, I didn't apply to GWU but lived in DC for the last five years of my life and am glad to answer any ??s you have about the city.

As for Yale, I'm feeling anxious because I haven't heard from Yale yet, and I don't know if it's because I applied to AfAm and American Studies, or if the admissions gods wish to drag this process out as long as possible. I'm at the point now where I am ready and willing to hear the rest of my decisions, be they bad, good whatever. I hate that some of these programs seem to be holding onto rejections for a strange amount of time...it seems like needless suffering.

hella bummed about yale. in other news, who else was rejected from GWU's PhD program but accepted to their MA program? i'd love to chat...

Hey alh,

I applied to their PhD and got invited to the MA, as well. I also lived in DC for a few years, so in addition to fanon_fanatic, I'm happy to chime in on any city questions you might have. I won't be attending the MA because I've been accepted to 2 phd programs. However, I do think GW's program looks great and it'd be a great option if I didn't already have a funded MA under my belt and phd opportunities available. Definitely message me if you want to chat and best of luck on whatever you decide!

The best part of getting my Yale rejection today was that not 5 minutes later I got an email from the Dean of Yale College announcing that there are only two weeks left to sign up for classes (as an alum). Oh, YALE. You master of irony you.

Edited by bespeckled

GWU responded to my email asking when the final decisions would be released:

We're in the final stages of admissions decisions and should be back in touch next week with more news. My apologies for the delay.

Hello everyone! I spend most of my time on the history threads but would really love some input from my fellow interdisciplinary scholars.

Do you think a History PhD or an American Studies PhD is more marketable for Univeristy teaching? I specialize in American Indian history and identity formation.

I recieved very strong opinions about which is better for obtaining a job, but no one has won me over to either side. I would love to hear what the communities opinion is.