American Studies 2012?

wintergirl

@rjsmith1031 I haven't heard an "official" response from either NYU or UChicago. BUT both schools already notified their accepted students, so I'm just assuming that I didn't make the cut! With that said, I was wait-listed at Minnesota. Congrats on your acceptance! It is such a great program. What is your top choice? What do you study?

A very reputable face-to-face source told me that NYU isn't even close to finalizing things. I wouldn't necessarily cross them off your list yet.

A very reputable face-to-face source told me that NYU isn't even close to finalizing things. I wouldn't necessarily cross them off your list yet.

That may be true in the case of a wait list, but I'm going this week for recruitment activities...all of the accepted cohort has, in fact, been notified. I just don't want anybody to get their hopes up on false premises. But like I said, it's probably true that a wait list hasn't been finalized yet.

@waitingwaiting: I don't have any insider info, but, based on past results, they should report sometime between now and the end of the month. Who knows when it'll happen? :)

@nix: thanks for the info! that's definitely encouraging!

I crossed NYU off my list too...who is this reputable source? :P

A professor at NYU. Where I also study. This is not to lead you astray with "false premises" - I'm just serving up information as more or less received.

Edited by nix

A professor at NYU. Where I also study. This is not to lead you astray with "false premises" - I'm just serving up information as more or less received.

No problem with that at all: I'm just corroborating and creating a more complete picture for those in the dark with no contacts at all. I didn't mean to insinuate you were lying, btw, by using the phrase "false premises"; perhaps "incomplete details" would have been better.

@waitingwaiting: I don't have any insider info, but, based on past results, they should report sometime between now and the end of the month. Who knows when it'll happen? :)

@nix: thanks for the info! that's definitely encouraging!

Forgot to respond to this, sorry. Seriously! Who knows. NYU really subverted their typical notification timeline this year. There's really no telling. I hope you hear something soon!

Forgot to respond to this, sorry. Seriously! Who knows. NYU really subverted their typical notification timeline this year. There's really no telling. I hope you hear something soon!

Do you have any idea the size of the cohort NYU is aiming for this year? Is there anything else that you know? This was my top choice program and I'm having a hard time letting go!

Do you have any idea the size of the cohort NYU is aiming for this year? Is there anything else that you know? This was my top choice program and I'm having a hard time letting go!

To my knowledge, the cohort size is 6 (one person deferred). Don't give up hope, though... I know nothing about the wait list. If you have any other questions, feel free to message me. Wishing you the best!

Does anyone have any advice for interviews? This will be my first. What kinds of questions will the ad com ask?

Did your contact give you a time estimate? My person said 10 minutes which I assume isn't enought time to destroy me with "gotcha" questions. But definitely review your SoP if you're like me and pitched different angles of your interest areas to different programs. Look at their work again. Review your CV. SMILE (if you can). My current program x-ed a candidate after an interview because they said (among other things) that she didn't seem that interested and also seemed ... very sour. Don't be sour (you know that already!).

There's a list of the most common interview questions floating around these forums somewhere. That might hold actual advice that you can actually use ...

Came here today to check on USC and Yale only to find this. I've responded to numerous messages the past several days regarding NYU, and I am withdrawing myself from the speculation game. Best of luck to everybody who now has interviews! I'm slightly confused, and that just goes to show that none of us can predict this crazy, crazy process. All we can do is stay positive throughout.

At this point I'm hoping we DON'T hear from USC this week. My cup of (assumed) rejections runneth over already.

For what it's worth, I have Michigan's American Culture program also notifying this week last year. Anyone else apply there?