American Studies 2012?

wintergirl

Any American Studies applicants around?

Out of the 10+ PhD applications I'm doing, I'm only applying to a few AmStud programs so I usually hang out in the Literature forum with the other English program applicants.

But I'd love to hear other AmStud applicants' thoughts on schools, the application process, fields of study, etc etc. So holler if you're here! : )

I was in the same boat. I got a B.A. degree in English and wanted to diversify my applications. I added a few American studies programs to my applications list. I ended up getting into University of Alabama's American studies M.A. program, which is fully funded for two years. It gave me an edge on English Ph.D. applications and allowed me to escape the debt trap that makes a lot of English M.A. programs so stressful. They fully fund all of their students, and it's a great way to make yourself more competitive for Ph.D. programs, while avoiding excessive debt.

I'm thinking about applying to the American Studies program at Yale. My interest is in art history and religion so I am mostly looking at art history programs but the Art Historians whose interest most fit mine aren't currently in art history programs. Sally Promey at Yale is in the American Studies program. So, I am thinking about it. But, they only accepted 8 of 260 applicants last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm really considering applying to Alabama's American Studies program. From what I've read about the program, it seems to be a good one, and I like the idea that I could receive funding. Even if I don't receive funding, I would get in-state tuition since I live in Alabama.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else applying to Yale's AmStud program? I wish they had more information about the admissions process on the department's website. Feels like I'm flying blind (except for the Grad School's instructions)...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else applying to Yale's AmStud program? I wish they had more information about the admissions process on the department's website. Feels like I'm flying blind (except for the Grad School's instructions)...

I'll be applying next year to Yale in the Film program, which can be combined with American Studies--I was debating combining it with either Am. St. or English, but after looking at some of the student profiles for American Studies (and also the course offerings), I'm doing English instead... soooo intimidating.

I am applying to some American Studies programs, as well as Comm and African American Studies, and then a few interdisciplinary type of programs--15 in all. I'm applying to UMD, UMich, UMinn, NYU and USC for American Studies.

Edited by fanon_fanatic

hello!

I was hoping that whoever received an email from the DGS from Minnesota's American Studies program could please share more information? Do you know if they already emailed everyone that was offered admission? Thank you so much.

I second nenanubes comment!

My application to the program still says "Awaiting Program Decision." What does it say online for you? "Final Review"? "Accepted"?

Thank you!

The person offered admission kindly replied in the Results forum:

From the earlier posted acceptance in response to questions. I received an email from the Director of Graduate Studies offering me admission. No details on funding yet. My ApplyOnline status didn't change until today, and now it says "Final Review." There's no official letter from the Graduate School yet. Beyond that, I have no other information and haven't asked any questions. Very excited! Visiting weekend March 23-25.

I also want to thank whoever posted the Minnesota acceptance details. Thank you and more importantly congratulations!! Judging from past forum discussions and the results of previous years I am personally going to assume I was rejected. Still, I could be (and hopefully am) wrong. Best of all luck to everyone.

Yes, thank you to the poster for adding more details! Congratulations!

One more question: did you have a pre-exisiting relationship with the DGS? Or was this your first contact?

Thank you!

I also want to thank whoever posted the Minnesota acceptance details. Thank you and more importantly congratulations!! Judging from past forum discussions and the results of previous years I am personally going to assume I was rejected. Still, I could be (and hopefully am) wrong. Best of all luck to everyone.

I wouldn't give up all hope. UMN does send out customized acceptance emails (I know because a friend of mine is already in the program), so I'm hoping that it just takes a little time for them to email people. I emailed the DGS and he said I would hear something "early" this week—since folks have historically been rejected later in the year, I'm hoping for good news or at least being waitlisted. Hoping for today...such a nervous wreck, I really like this program.

And apologies for my solipsism earlier: congratulations to whomever was admitted!

I can't guarantee it, but I would probably say it's a safe bet to assume all people have been contacted. The only reason I say that is because I had been in communication with the DGS earlier in the week and he said I would hear back from them "early in the upcoming week." I'm assuming they notified all of the wait-listed folks yesterday evening at once. That would lead me to believe all 8 accepted students have already been notified. I think that's all the info I have, but feel free to PM me if you wanna know more.

If anyone is interested, University of Maryland (College Park) is contacting people. I received a phone call yesterday evening from the DGS congratulating me on my acceptance into their PhD program. Coincidentally, I also received a phone call from the DGS at Northwestern's Performance Studies program inviting me to the campus on March 1 for an interview. I'm excited!! Now I can take a sigh of relief and wait for the results to come in from my other 6 schools. Good luck to everyone!!

If anyone is interested, University of Maryland (College Park) is contacting people. I received a phone call yesterday evening from the DGS congratulating me on my acceptance into their PhD program. Coincidentally, I also received a phone call from the DGS at Northwestern's Performance Studies program inviting me to the campus on March 1 for an interview. I'm excited!! Now I can take a sigh of relief and wait for the results to come in from my other 6 schools. Good luck to everyone!!

Congratulations @supernova on your first acceptance. Feels good to get it out of the way huh? :)

Congrats to both of you on your acceptances!! I'm only a *teeny* bit insanely jealous. : )

Looks like USC's the next one out of the gate, right? I've heard zilch from the dept about my application, except for getting my SASE (I sent that instead of a postcard) back a couple of weeks ago saying they had my materials. Wonder if they'll be on the same timeline they were last year.

Sigh. The waiting is indeed the hardest part...