American Studies 2012?

wintergirl

Just had the skype interview with NYU. They were interviewing about a dozen students to select the last of their admits, and from what I understood select a waitlist as well. The admission committee asked me to share where else I had been admitted. I told them truthfully and they said they found this information "very helpful." Does that mean they just crossed me off their list?

I'd say at the very least it gives them a sense that it'll be a competitive process to get you. It might help for funding, for example, knowing they'd have to offer you a competitive package and give you first class treatment. Don't necessarily think it will hurt you, but that's my sense.

Maybe email them in a day thanking the person you interview with for the interview and suggesting that you're happy you are being considered at school ranked high among your list (if they are).

Congrats!!

Have you received any sort of schedule yet? I'm curious as to what they're going to have planned for the day and a half.

Not yet. I was told very generally there would be a meeting with some faculty I want to work with, tour of the city/univ, meeting with grad students, etc. But no formal schedule yet

Just got rejected from USC ASE a few minutes ago. 127 apps, 9 acceptances. Good luck to you all!

Me too. And it seems like Michigan's American Culture notfications have started going out? I haven't heard anything yet though.

@tripwillis.. I'm applying into a different field, but this was discussed on our forums. Apparently, every department at Yale arts and sciences needs to call/skype and conduct an interview with the students they want to admit before they admit them. I wish someone had told us about this so as to not give us false hope... so you would get a phone call or e-mail setting one up before any of the formal admissions/rejections happen from Yale:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2012/jan/11/grad-school-divided-over-interviews/

I would assume you are correct. However, someone in Art History just posted an acceptance from Yale and there had been no discussion or postings over there about interviews. I don't know i this means that the interview happened but wasn't posted or if the interview process isn't fully implemented yet.

In sociology, only one person who posted got a phone call, and then was wait listed. We haven't heard rejections yet though... so its hard to say. We had the same thing happen where no one posted about phone calls on the board... then suddenly after the fact people were like "oh yeah, I had a phone call last week" -- I don't know if they might be politely telling applicants not to talk about the interview with anyone. From what we are gathering though, they definitely implemented it in some fashion in this round. But this is in social science, and American studies might be under different purview.

I'm currently a student in American Studies at Yale and, remembering how anxious I was about the process just a few short years ago, I wanted to address the question of interviews. As you've probably seen in the YDN, not everyone is happy with the new admissions policies set forth by Dean Pollard. American Studies' faculty members have been especially vocal in their disagreement with the interview requirement. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the admissions committee refused to call applicants in protest. Personally, while I disagree with almost all of Pollard's report, I think interviewing prospective students is a fair policy, but my opinion doesn't matter. Anyway, my point is, if you haven't heard about an interview, I wouldn't give up hope. They may also just call people, ask them how they are, and then tell them they've been admitted -- it would fulfill the requirement set up by the graduate school without influencing their decisions. Also, given the way events are being scheduled in the department, I would assume that acceptances should be going out in the next few days, my bet is Tuesday, but that's just a guess. Stay sane everyone and best of luck!

Hi there, it doesn't look like anyone here applied to BU for the fall? But I thought I'd ask. I believe that they notify via snail mail? It has only been a month or so since the application deadline, and they don't appear to notify until March (thanks, results search!) but of course I am terrible with the waiting game.

I applied to Brown as well, and from the look of the results page they haven't sent word to anyone yet. I'm also on tenterhooks about Yale -- I think I was a really strong fit with some of the faculty, had good GRE scores and did my M.A. at Chicago, so I was thinking I at least stood a chance. Same goes for History of American Civ at Harvard -- this has been an extraordinarily long few weeks, especially given that I've received three rejections thus far. So, you know, fingers crossed :)