Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

Has anyone heard from UT Austin recently? I have tried contacting a few people there and gotten no response. Also, their first visitation weekend is coming up this week. Can they really be done sending out offers already?

Hey guys,

I've been following this forum for awhile to keep up with what other applicants have heard and haven't heard. I finally got sick of just reading and decided to join. I've posed the school I'm applying to in my signature. My stats are:

Applicant: domestic

GPA: 3.92

GRE: 157 V, 157 Q, 3.5 A ----yeah yeah not great. I didn't have time to take it again and was slightly misled by other undergrads who are at top universities now that the GRE doesn't matter....I think I screwed myself a little here. Stanford emailed me to ask my GRE scores then I got a rejection 3 weeks later :/

Chem GRE: 720

Research: 2 years same lab, 1 publication (second author)

1 summer fellowship from CPRIT

anyways, @synorg, here's hoping columbia gets back with some good news!! I haven't heard anything this week either. but if not, i think Princeton and UC Irvine are still good for organic!

Edited by pzh

Has anyone heard from UT Austin recently? I have tried contacting a few people there and gotten no response. Also, their first visitation weekend is coming up this week. Can they really be done sending out offers already?

I'm an undergrad at UT Austin and I know the prof who is in charge of grad admissions. I've talked with him about the admissions process and the impression he gave me was he takes his time with deciding. I would bet he's not done sending out offers.

Edited by pzh

I'm an undergrad at UT Austin and I know the prof who is in charge of grad admissions. I've talked with him about the admissions process and the impression he gave me was he takes his time with deciding. I would bet he's not done sending out offers.

Good to hear, thanks.

Do you guys know how POI (not in admission committee) can affect the final decision in UCSD?

i don't think non-adcom prof. can't change the decision much unless s/he knows you well enough that s/he wants you badly.

Thanks for the info! I hope thats the case.

Hey, is this also the case for physical chemistry at UCSD? Or was your post specifically about analytical chemistry?

UCSD is the only school I haven't heard back from, it kind of makes sense because of their late deadline (though I submitted early December), but on the other hand there is your message and the fact that a lot of people have already heard back from them.

I also read on this forum that UCSD does not accept many international students (I am an international student), and it seems to be true looking at the "results survey" that shows only domestic students got accepted so far (and bothered to fill in the result survey). Does anyone have more information on this, or is it just a vague suspicion that people have?

I am a current graduate student at UCSD and UCSD has sent out all of their offers already. We just recently had visitation weekend this past week and the other visitation weekend will be in early march. If you haven't heard back from UCSD there's still a chance you might be able to get in if people decline their offers. It seems like everyone who visited this past weekend will most likely choose to do their graduate at UCSD.

I am a current graduate student at UCSD and UCSD has sent out all of their offers already. We just recently had visitation weekend this past week and the other visitation weekend will be in early march. If you haven't heard back from UCSD there's still a chance you might be able to get in if people decline their offers. It seems like everyone who visited this past weekend will most likely choose to do their graduate at UCSD.

Sad news indeed. Ow well, atleast picking a grad school gets easier with one less choice to consider ^^

Honestly though, Im mainly disappointed in the fact that as an international student it seems my odds were much lower to start out with. If I had known that I would have never applied to UCSD.

Do you have any idea how many international students were accepted this year (and last year)?

pzh, when are you visiting chicago?

mailed Berkeley and this is what i got

"Most of our admission offers have been made. It's possible that there could be a few additional offers throughout February. Admitted students are notified by phone or email right away and all other students will be notified around March 1."

well this is as close to rejection as i will get before march.

Any word on UM Twin Cities or UW Madison? I know both have sent several letters out already, but does anyone know anything more about these schools?

I was accepted to UM-TC Feb 1st and to UW-Madison Jan 23rd. I don't know anything else though.

This makes me pretty depressed.

I just heard back from Columbia today via email. Biosciences visit weekend is March 2-5, and the second visit weekend is March 23-25. It's good to hear that they're still making decisions!

Congrats! I was bummed about not hearing anything last week. I guess there's still a small chance. I'd definitely go to the second weekend if I had the chance.

pzh, when are you visiting chicago?

not sure yet actually. im going to plan all my trips out in the next few days so i'll let you know. are you going to chicago? if so, when?

mailed Berkeley and this is what i got

"Most of our admission offers have been made. It's possible that there could be a few additional offers throughout February. Admitted students are notified by phone or email right away and all other students will be notified around March 1."

well this is as close to rejection as i will get before march.

i called and got the same response. i saw on the grad acceptance list someone got into Berkeley today ...and he had a crazy app...4 publications or something. my app definitely doesn't compete with that so yeah....im thinking rejection for me

"The ability to live comfortably" is exactly how I put it when I inquired about stipends, as well as some hemming and hawing about how "well, I really like your school, but so and so is offering this much more which makes it hard to turn down." I'm in the very process of talking with various AdComs about my various offers-- hey, an extra few thousand a year is a lot of money!

That said, I'm from LA, and it's perfectly possible to find a place within biking distance of UCLA for under $800 a month.

I sent a message to the UCLA chemgrad e-mail about if there are potential fellowships and they said I would have to apply myself and pointed me towards the GRAPES database (http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/grpinst.htm)... sounds like a headache. I haven't looked at it thoroughly but haven't found much of what I was looking for, several are for doing research at a specific place for example. One for student athletes. A couple more were just loans (I selected fellowship/grant)... :/ Has anyone else had more luck?

I've been looking mostly in the Palms area, and I do see some decent apartments in the $800/month range. I wonder how bike-able UCLA is from there though, I know there are buses but I dislike the idea of always having to rely on them. Are there any other areas you would recommend that are relatively close to campus? (I've heard K-town recommended before, but it seems that would require a pretty long commute...)

Edited by nechalo