Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

UCSD update! So, I called and it turns out that it looks like they've made all the decisions so far...so, if you haven't heard, you're kind of waitlisted. Final decisions will be made next week. Analytical accepted a very small amount. Apparently UCSD had a large amount of students accept the offers last year so this year wasn't as big. So, if you haven't heard, good luck to everyone!

Thanks for your update but so sad to hear that. Does the so called "waitlisted" mean "rejected"? Good luck to everyone!

Thanks for your update but so sad to hear that. Does the so called "waitlisted" mean "rejected"? Good luck to everyone!

The guy I spoke with said that after the visit this weekend they may accept more people. He looked thru a stack and said I was kind of a 'finalist'...which he said was pretty much wait listed/just getting an idea this weekend...so you can interpret it however...oh, well, I'll take it for now.

I kind of wish these schools would say something like, 'not taking applications for the following depts' or 'limited spots for following dept' instead of letting us spend all this money.

So I went onto the Scripps website the other day to see if my application status had changed, and I couldn't log into the system. It made it seem like my application had been deleted. I am assuming rejection if that is the case, kind of a strange way to find out. Anybody else have that problem?

So I went onto the Scripps website the other day to see if my application status had changed, and I couldn't log into the system. It made it seem like my application had been deleted. I am assuming rejection if that is the case, kind of a strange way to find out. Anybody else have that problem?

I just tried after ur post and the same thing happend to me :X def a weird way to find out lol.

I just got the following email.

"Thank you for your email and interest to the Kellogg School of Science and Technology at TSRI. As of February 1st, the login is no longer accessible since they have expired. This is because the program is reset for the new year applicants for fall 2013. At this point, the admissions committee is still in the process of making their decisions of who will be admitted into the program as we received over 700 applications. You will receive an email stating the interview schedule no later than the end of February if you are chosen for an interview. If not, you will receive a decline email sometime in April."

Well, at least there is still hope, but I am not going to hold my breath.

I just got the following email.

"Thank you for your email and interest to the Kellogg School of Science and Technology at TSRI. As of February 1st, the login is no longer accessible since they have expired. This is because the program is reset for the new year applicants for fall 2013. At this point, the admissions committee is still in the process of making their decisions of who will be admitted into the program as we received over 700 applications. You will receive an email stating the interview schedule no later than the end of February if you are chosen for an interview. If not, you will receive a decline email sometime in April."

Well, at least there is still hope, but I am not going to hold my breath.

hmmm this seems strange because when I was offered an interview they said that the only dates that they are doing interviews in La Jolla are 2/24 and 3/2, and they wouldn't let me go a different weekend. So if they don't tell you until the end of Feb., then that gives you like no notice to go to one of the scheduled interviews. Maybe it's different for the florida campus?

Anyone know what percentage of the people that they interview are accepted?

Also, if anyone hears anything from MIT please provide an update! :)

Also, if anyone hears anything from MIT please provide an update! :)

I just called MIT, they told me applications are still being reviewed and responses are still being sent out, and it may be a few weeks (!) before all decisions are made. I haven't seen any admittances on survey in a while, so I'm still hopeful, but not too optimistic.

I haven't seen anyone else applying to Northeastern on here, but just in case, if you get an invitation to the open house it means you will be accepted even though the email says that it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I was confused, but my POI said they only send them to people who will be accepted. For some reason though they don't send out the acceptances until after the visit.

I just called MIT, they told me applications are still being reviewed and responses are still being sent out, and it may be a few weeks (!) before all decisions are made. I haven't seen any admittances on survey in a while, so I'm still hopeful, but not too optimistic.

thanks for letting me know. this is frustrating but i guess better than just being rejected. I wonder why they are taking longer than other peer institutions.

UCSD update! So, I called and it turns out that it looks like they've made all the decisions so far...so, if you haven't heard, you're kind of waitlisted. Final decisions will be made next week. Analytical accepted a very small amount. Apparently UCSD had a large amount of students accept the offers last year so this year wasn't as big. So, if you haven't heard, good luck to everyone!

Hey, is this also the case for physical chemistry at UCSD? Or was your post specifically about analytical chemistry?

UCSD is the only school I haven't heard back from, it kind of makes sense because of their late deadline (though I submitted early December), but on the other hand there is your message and the fact that a lot of people have already heard back from them.

I also read on this forum that UCSD does not accept many international students (I am an international student), and it seems to be true looking at the "results survey" that shows only domestic students got accepted so far (and bothered to fill in the result survey). Does anyone have more information on this, or is it just a vague suspicion that people have?

Edited by cynder

I also read on this forum that UCSD does not accept many international students (I am an international student), and it seems to be true looking at the "results survey" that shows only domestic students got accepted so far (and bothered to fill in the result survey). Does anyone have more information on this, or is it just a vague suspicion that people have?

It isn't just UCSD do not accept many international students, it is the public schools in California (in general) accept a lot less international applicants. All the schools in the UC system accepts fewer international students compare to private schools or public schools in other states.

If you want any numbers, Cal accepted 52 students in 2009 and only 2 of them are international, as far as I know.

And I'm pretty sure what you read about UCSD @ tgc is pretty accurate thus far.

Edited by aberrant

It isn't just UCSD do not accept many international students, it is the public schools in California (in general) accept a lot less international applicants. All the schools in the UC system accepts fewer international students compare to private schools or public schools in other states.

If you want any numbers, Cal accepted 52 students in 2009 and only 2 of them are international, as far as I know.

And I'm pretty sure what you read about UCSD @ tgc is pretty accurate thus far.

Thanks for the info!

Though I wish I had found this message board sooner, might have saved $100 on application fees :/

UCSD is the only school I haven't heard back from, it kind of makes sense because of their late deadline (though I submitted early December), but on the other hand there is your message and the fact that a lot of people have already heard back from them.

I haven't heard from them either, but I have heard from schools that had later deadlines... and I pretty much did all of mine at the last second possible. I'm doing organic though.

Hey, is this also the case for physical chemistry at UCSD? Or was your post specifically about analytical chemistry?

It's the chemistry department in general. The whole department did not have many spots and analytical even less. I've seen plenty of organic and inorganic acceptances go out, but no analytical..that's why us analytical people were hanging on. So, some may still hear good news but I'm guessing most will not.

Oh well, I'm looking on the bright side, I'll probably end up going to the lower rated school over the higher rated I've already gotten into anyway!