Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

Still waiting on UNC and UT-Austin....only saw a few acceptances on the results page so hopefully I'm not out of the running. If anyone contacted them about their status keep us updated :)

Edited by Gringard

Still waiting on UNC and UT-Austin....only saw a few acceptances on the results page so hopefully I'm not out of the running. If anyone contacted them about their status keep us updated :)

I'm curious about UT Austin too. Maybe I'll email them this week.

Reply to above: I contacted a professor in late October to tell him I was interested in his work and ask if he planned on accepting graduate students. He replied that he did, so I applied. In mid-December he emailed me again to tell me I was in, and I received a package in the mail a few days later. Hope this helps. It's a great school, hope to see you there!

On a similar note, does anyone know if MIT will be accepting anyone else, and if so when?

Edited by HaElkoshi

Reply to above: I contacted a professor in late October to tell him I was interested in his work and ask if he planned on accepting graduate students. He replied that he did, so I applied. In mid-December he emailed me again to tell me I was in, and I received a package in the mail a few days later. Hope this helps. It's a great school, hope to see you there!

On a similar note, does anyone know if MIT will be accepting anyone else, and if so when?

yeah, I'm waiting for MIT too! No idea about when, but I guess they're not done with acceptances. If you look the chem wesbite it looks like they send admissions 'til by mid February, so we still have chances!!! I searched offers for physics here, and they have given about 30 offers from about 700 app., so I guess for chemistry should be around it... (I guess)

Does anyone know how funding works at UCLA? I received the offer letter about the "minimum" $27500 but no information on extra fellowships. I thought this was a little strange because UCLA would be the most expensive place for me to live and mostly everywhere else offered additional fellowships straight away. I believed it was pretty common in chemistry programs; a couple of them were just for the first year but that would help a lot with moving.

I don't know if I should e-mail and ask if there are possibly other forms of aid given + stipend or sit tight because maybe that info is still to come?

1) I have heard about other students talking to the AdComs-- say if they have a more *ahem* competitive offer from other schools-- about upping their stipends. Considering that LA is one of the more expensive cities to live in, maybe not a bad idea if you have a more competitive offer from elsewhere?

2) Word on the street is that fellowship information at UCLA comes around March.

Diana are you going down to TAMU's visitation weekend? If so, maybe we will run into eachother!

Yes! I sent in my weekend thingy today. What nighttime activity did you put?

Diana, which track you apply for ucsd?

Btw, to the guys who were accepted by UCSD, did you hear from the department or POI?

I applied for Organic, specifically for professors in natural products.

I hope somebody answers this:

To the people who were accepted to UChicago via e-mail, was it an e-mail from the department or from a POI? This is my top-choice school and the wait is nerve-wracking. D:

I heard back via phone call from a professor that I had contacted in the fall. I then received the official letter from the department via postal service. If you decide to inquire about your application, a good contact may be Melinda Moore - mmoore@uchicago.edu. She answered very promptly when I emailed to make sure all of my supplemental materials had been received. Best of luck!

I listed the brewery of course! What about you? My flight has me flying straight into the college station airport which is nice.

Yes! I sent in my weekend thingy today. What nighttime activity did you put?

Edited by CTchemist

1) I have heard about other students talking to the AdComs-- say if they have a more *ahem* competitive offer from other schools-- about upping their stipends. Considering that LA is one of the more expensive cities to live in, maybe not a bad idea if you have a more competitive offer from elsewhere?

2) Word on the street is that fellowship information at UCLA comes around March.

Ha, I appreciate your insight. I figure I could ask about higher stipend/fellowships, while mentioning my financial concerns, to at least hear if they have anything more to say. I'm not sure how to go about talking to adcoms about money and not come off as needy/entitled but the ability to live comfortably is part of the decision. Plus, the fact is that after adjusting for cost of living it IS the lowest offer I've received. I'm not surprised because I understand UC schools have been through their fair share of financial strain (another reason why I don't really want to push it). However, if it comes between UCLA which fits closer to my research interests, and a higher ranked school giving more money... well research interests can change anyway... (not to mean I'd sell myself to do something I don't want, that would go against what I'm going to grad school for in the first place, but a more equal offer between the schools would help de-cloud the decision)

It's good to know there's still hope to hear in March. I won't sweat it too much now; I haven't even visited anywhere yet. A lot can change.

I'm waiting for them too.....

Did you make the call and what's the answer?

No, I went online to my application and the deadline on the bottom now says 02/06/2012..I dunno whats going on. So, I'm going to wait a little longer..I feel like I'll jinx myself if I call.

Ha, I appreciate your insight. I figure I could ask about higher stipend/fellowships, while mentioning my financial concerns, to at least hear if they have anything more to say. I'm not sure how to go about talking to adcoms about money and not come off as needy/entitled but the ability to live comfortably is part of the decision. Plus, the fact is that after adjusting for cost of living it IS the lowest offer I've received. I'm not surprised because I understand UC schools have been through their fair share of financial strain (another reason why I don't really want to push it). However, if it comes between UCLA which fits closer to my research interests, and a higher ranked school giving more money... well research interests can change anyway... (not to mean I'd sell myself to do something I don't want, that would go against what I'm going to grad school for in the first place, but a more equal offer between the schools would help de-cloud the decision)

It's good to know there's still hope to hear in March. I won't sweat it too much now; I haven't even visited anywhere yet. A lot can change.

"The ability to live comfortably" is exactly how I put it when I inquired about stipends, as well as some hemming and hawing about how "well, I really like your school, but so and so is offering this much more which makes it hard to turn down." I'm in the very process of talking with various AdComs about my various offers-- hey, an extra few thousand a year is a lot of money!

That said, I'm from LA, and it's perfectly possible to find a place within biking distance of UCLA for under $800 a month.

So I am still waiting to hear from three of the schools that I applied to.... does anyone else just want to KNOW at this point whether it's yes or no? For these schools I don't particularly care if I even get in, I just want to know one way or the other.

ARGH THE WAITING IS KILLING ME.

Yep. Same. Waiting for Cornell and Northwestern, apparently UIUC is tied with Northwestern in my field and both are better than Cornell, so I could care less because I'm not going to go there and it's a toss-up between Urbana and Northwestern. Berkeley I've already written off as a rejection, so I just wanna know. It's killing me haha.

UCSD update! So, I called and it turns out that it looks like they've made all the decisions so far...so, if you haven't heard, you're kind of waitlisted. Final decisions will be made next week. Analytical accepted a very small amount. Apparently UCSD had a large amount of students accept the offers last year so this year wasn't as big. So, if you haven't heard, good luck to everyone!

So I am still waiting to hear from three of the schools that I applied to.... does anyone else just want to KNOW at this point whether it's yes or no? For these schools I don't particularly care if I even get in, I just want to know one way or the other.

ARGH THE WAITING IS KILLING ME.

Agreed... I'd be happy to pick from what I've gotten but I feel like these other schools are just trying to drive me mad. (I'm really irked by Harvard at the moment because for some reason I feel like everyone has received their official notice except for me..)