mcstev13

Is anyone here going to:

UWisconsin-Madison 2/24 - 2/26

TAMU 3/2 - 3/4

Northwestern 3/8 - 3/10

Penn State 3/16 - 3/20

ACS National conference in San Diego

UMinn-TC 3/30 - 4/1

My next 6 weekends are going to be away from all my friends! I would love to make some new ones.

Good luck everyone! Congrats to people still getting acceptances.

I sent a message to the UCLA chemgrad e-mail about if there are potential fellowships and they said I would have to apply myself and pointed me towards the GRAPES database (http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/grpinst.htm)... sounds like a headache. I haven't looked at it thoroughly but haven't found much of what I was looking for, several are for doing research at a specific place for example. One for student athletes. A couple more were just loans (I selected fellowship/grant)... :/ Has anyone else had more luck?

I've been looking mostly in the Palms area, and I do see some decent apartments in the $800/month range. I wonder how bike-able UCLA is from there though, I know there are buses but I dislike the idea of always having to rely on them. Are there any other areas you would recommend that are relatively close to campus? (I've heard K-town recommended before, but it seems that would require a pretty long commute...)

Before I say this, I would like to note that I am African American, and a left-leaning Independant who has visited LA many times.

I didn't want to bring this up, but her it goes. Are they, in an offhand manner, telling you to apply for public housing? It wouldn't be bad to live in the "projects" if you were going to Iowa State, or the University of Kansas; but, you are talking LA county, the land of gang banging. I couldn't imagine where you would end up if you did this. It is totally un-realistic that you can live in LA county, let alone Pasadena on less than $50K a year. I just worked up a budget, and came to $25K for rent on a studo apartment, lights, gas for your car, and groceries, and that was low balling most of the figures. This is bare bones living. I am thinking about the same thing with Boston U. If I get in, I will be sad, because I know I can't afford to live in Boston on that stipend. I will have no other choice but to take out $20-25K in loans to cover basic living expenses.

I am thinking about the same thing with Boston U. If I get in, I will be sad, because I know I can't afford to live in Boston on that stipend. I will have no other choice but to take out $20-25K in loans to cover basic living expenses.

I don't know about LA, but you can actually get by in Boston on a budget. Mass transit is good enough that you can move into cheap areas and still be connected. You can live in some pretty decent neighborhoods for cheap because like half the population of Boston is made up of students.

Before I say this, I would like to note that I am African American, and a left-leaning Independant who has visited LA many times.

I didn't want to bring this up, but her it goes. Are they, in an offhand manner, telling you to apply for public housing? It wouldn't be bad to live in the "projects" if you were going to Iowa State, or the University of Kansas; but, you are talking LA county, the land of gang banging. I couldn't imagine where you would end up if you did this. It is totally un-realistic that you can live in LA county, let alone Pasadena on less than $50K a year. I just worked up a budget, and came to $25K for rent on a studo apartment, lights, gas for your car, and groceries, and that was low balling most of the figures. This is bare bones living. I am thinking about the same thing with Boston U. If I get in, I will be sad, because I know I can't afford to live in Boston on that stipend. I will have no other choice but to take out $20-25K in loans to cover basic living expenses.

The graduate housing at UCLA is also quite expensive ($1150/month for a 1BR) and not very close to campus. The housing in the surrounding areas is even more expensive than the graduate housing.

Has anyone heard anything about the stipend at UT Austin?

I sent a message to the UCLA chemgrad e-mail about if there are potential fellowships and they said I would have to apply myself and pointed me towards the GRAPES database (http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/grpinst.htm)... sounds like a headache. I haven't looked at it thoroughly but haven't found much of what I was looking for, several are for doing research at a specific place for example. One for student athletes. A couple more were just loans (I selected fellowship/grant)... :/ Has anyone else had more luck?

I've been looking mostly in the Palms area, and I do see some decent apartments in the $800/month range. I wonder how bike-able UCLA is from there though, I know there are buses but I dislike the idea of always having to rely on them. Are there any other areas you would recommend that are relatively close to campus? (I've heard K-town recommended before, but it seems that would require a pretty long commute...)

The graduate housing at UCLA is also quite expensive ($1150/month for a 1BR) and not very close to campus. The housing in the surrounding areas is even more expensive than the graduate housing.

Has anyone heard anything about the stipend at UT Austin?

West LA, Palms, Venice... all that stuff is affordable, and not even CLOSE to the sketchy east LA scene. I've spent time in Mid-Wilshire, K-Town, and know people who live there for $600-800 even (with roommates though). I might have a different definition of bikable than others though-- I think anything within a half hour on bike (about 6-7 miles) is a reasonable bike commute. If you're looking to stick to that, or well under, probably West LA or Palms is the best bet.

Having a roommate (i.e., sharing a 2 BD with another person, not having someone in the same room as you!) would certainly be cheaper than getting a studio or a 1 BD, which in those same areas can range from ~$700-$1500.

If you're willing to drive, you can find SUPER CHEAP housing (I'm talking under $800 for rent and all utilities), but then you'd have to commute daily from the San Fernando Valley or something and deal with the miserable rush hour traffic on the 405.

Not going to lie, UCLA is pretty high up on my radar, despite the relatively low stipend (proximity to my family is nice). If I go, I plan to get my own place off-campus, probably in the West LA area. The current UCLA students are living there, on that same average (or lower) stipend, and they manage somehow, right?

Edited by prfshift

@prfshift

You right. The current students are making it work, and it would be nice to share some info about how they are pulling it off though. If I am coming from Ohio to live in LA, I personally am not comfortable in moving into an apartment with a roomate I found on Craig's list or some other site. He/she may need to "rough it" for a year, until he/she makes some friends and is in the position to share an apartment. I really need to know, know you to share an apartment with you. I shared a 2BR apartment with my good friend from college in the Bay Area (Richmond/Oakland-I know?) for 6 mo. before my start date with my former company. You talk about expensive. We payed $750 each for proximity to San Francisco.

Has anyone heard back recently from Caltech? Are they done accepting students? It's the last school I'm waiting on..

I know that one of their visiting weekends is in 2 weeks, so that doesn't give people very much time, but they have a later visiting weekend also so maybe people could still be accepted. You could try calling the graduate office. I'm in the same boat with MIT and it's frustrating!!!

Hi, I'll be applying to grad school next year, but I just wanted to ask if anyone has been accepted with the only form of research experience being their thesis and minor projects conducted in school instead of a summer internship?

Hi, I'll be applying to grad school next year, but I just wanted to ask if anyone has been accepted with the only form of research experience being their thesis and minor projects conducted in school instead of a summer internship?

Yes. My only research experience was my thesis research - I worked on the same project for three years (including summers). I also have a fair amount of tutoring experience and a year of teaching experience, so ymmv.

When do you all think it's time to give up hope...?

door is probably closed for Harvard, but you should probably be more concerned with deciding between three stellar options! :)

Has anyone heard from Boston yet? I am on the verge of calling them tomorrow to see if they made any decisions. I don't see any results on the Results Survey page, and I am worried. I have one acceptance one rejection, and am waiting on Boston (deadline 1/1/12) and Michigan Appled Physics (deadline 1/15/12). This seems like a long time, as March is a little less than two weeks away.

I'm waiting on Scripps, although I find it hard to believe that they're still actually considering people... since the visitation weekends are essentially upon us.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. the prospects don't seem great but that's what the grad office lady said when I voiced my concern about not hearing back with interview weekends so soon.

Has anyone heard from Boston yet? I am on the verge of calling them tomorrow to see if they made any decisions. I don't see any results on the Results Survey page, and I am worried. I have one acceptance one rejection, and am waiting on Boston (deadline 1/1/12) and Michigan Appled Physics (deadline 1/15/12). This seems like a long time, as March is a little less than two weeks away.

same here .... havent heard from Boston yet .... ( among the 5 universities I applied it was of the earliest deadline of Jan1) .....

I just got a phone call today, so hopefully they'll be contacting people this week. Good luck!

I have not heard back from UCLA and UPenn . shall i consider it as rejection or still they are making admssion offers.?

I was told late last week that UPenn was still making decisions. I was told specifically that the organic division was still working through their pile and that they hoped to notify everyone soon - whatever that means...

Visiting question: If a visit is scheduled for a Friday and everyone departs on Saturday, do the current grad students or prospective or both ever go out on that Friday night?..Or that Thursday for that matter..just figured people wouldn't really know each other before the scheduled stuff. I'm just deciding if I should stay one or two nights since I live within driving distance (two hours). If people hang out, grab a beer, etc, I might stay to get a better (informal) feel for the environment :) Anybody have info on this?

Edited by jlh5639

Visiting question: If a visit is scheduled for a Friday and everyone departs on Saturday, do the current grad students or prospective or both ever go out on that Friday night?..Or that Thursday for that matter..just figured people wouldn't really know each other before the scheduled stuff. I'm just deciding if I should stay one or two nights since I live within driving distance (two hours). If people hang out, grab a beer, etc, I might stay to get a better (informal) feel for the environment :) Anybody have info on this?

Yes, there is usually a friday night event. It is probably worth it to stay for both days, they are pretty fun.