Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

Does anybody know if food is covered by the graduate school as well? Irvine hasn't mentioned any dinner plans for the night before the visit...anybody going to Irvine in the next few weeks know about this? They took us out to dinner on the last visit I had and then there was a bbq at the deans house the night of the visit. Breakfast was covered at the hotel...Irvine doesn't mention any of this but we do pick up a packet when we check in.

Also, people going to Irvine this weekend, whats your interest and where will you be traveling from? Might as well 'meet' now :) I'm coming from San Diego on the train and my interests are analytical/inorganic..would like to get into materials research.

I interviewed with a gateway program that feeds intro depts like chemistry at Irvine and they were happy to cover expenses before and after arrival to Irvine, even if its not part of the official schedule (IE...dinner during trip there/hoe)

I called Irvine Chem and they said they do not provide money back for the food the night before or the day after the visit. Any food you pay for is on you. They cover lunch and dinner the day of the visit...make sure to eat breakfast at the hotel I guess. Bummer.

I called Irvine Chem and they said they do not provide money back for the food the night before or the day after the visit. Any food you pay for is on you. They cover lunch and dinner the day of the visit...make sure to eat breakfast at the hotel I guess. Bummer.

They have not given us many details on the visit compared to my other visits.

They have not given us many details on the visit compared to my other visits.

Yeah, I agree..it kinda makes me nervous. I visited Riverside for Chemical engineering last weekend and we knew all the details. The visit for chem engineering at Irvine is crazy nice actually..I know this from I guy I met at Riverside. It's Friday and Saturday, dinner tonight with grad students, they're taking them on a tour to the beach and having a bonfire as well one night. I hope the lack of details and lack of extra care isn't an indication of anything...keeping an open mind...

UCLA stipends were just raised by the department to a baseline of $28k (so the minimum amount you are guaranteed), and an additional $5500 for the first year if you start in the summer.

Someone I met at the visiting weekend was offered a fellowship from them, so I guess they're starting to release the fellowship information too.

Edited by prfshift

The website for my application to UW Madison was recently updated to say that I actually don't have an application for their program anymore.

I know many people have heard from them, and it's not really my top choice, but should I be concerned that they possibly deleted my application?

The website for my application to UW Madison was recently updated to say that I actually don't have an application for their program anymore.

I know many people have heard from them, and it's not really my top choice, but should I be concerned that they possibly deleted my application?

I just checked mine and it says "in review" still. IDK what happend with your application though. I'm pretty sure the next visitation is this weekend so I'm just assuming rejection for me.

i got an email from upenn this morning saying my online status was updated (i had already been contacted about my admission two weeks ago). their first visit is two weekends from now, and there's only one. i get the impression that they've made their decisions so far, but they mentioned in my letter that there was a waitlist

identitycrisis, fe3lg0odhit, Gringard: What divisions of UW-Madison did you apply for?

I talked to the secretary on Monday and she said that the organic division had sent out most, if not all, letters of acceptence. I'm chem bio, so she said that they had a waitlist created because they were unsure of how many offers to extend (it's a new program, so they don't have much for historical data). In any case, I'm just going to assume that I'll be denied...

Edited by babar

identitycrisis, fe3lg0odhit, Gringard: What divisions of UW-Madison did you apply for?

I talked to the secretary on Monday and she said that the organic division had sent out most, if not all, letters of acceptence. I'm chem bio, so she said that they had a waitlist created because they were unsure of how many offers to extend (it's a new program, so they don't have much for historical data). In any case, I'm just going to assume that I'll be denied...

I'm materials. When we are talking about the application status do we mean the one that shows up in My UW? Because mine's still listed as pending.

When we are talking about the application status do we mean the one that shows up in My UW? Because mine's still listed as pending.

Mine says, "Your application has been received and will be reviewed by your program. Please refer to this page for updates."

Edited by babar

Mine says, "Your application has been received and will be reviewed by your program. Please refer to this page for updates."

That's what mine says. I applied to Materials.

The secretary told me last week over the phone that the Materials division hadn't actually finished making decisions yet.

She said she hopes they'll be finished by the end of this week.

Thanks Amirhossein B. By chance, do you know how many (international) students do they accept in general? I applied to the chemistry program with the interest in their Molecular Biophysics program. but it seems like their program isn't big enough to accept many students.

Thanks Amirhossein B. By chance, do you know how many (international) students do they accept in general? I applied to the chemistry program with the interest in their Molecular Biophysics program. but it seems like their program isn't big enough to accept many students.

I don't know exactly how many internationals they accept each year. You may try asking their secretary, Ashlee Edwards. If you have not received anything so far, maybe you have been wait-listed.