Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

I just called York - same as U of C: by the end of the month...!!! This is insane. 12 more days is way too many... I can only assume I didn't get in. Has anyone heard from U of C at all?? I have been presented with some awesome opportunities that depend on my getting in to U of C :(

If by UofC you mean the University of Calgary, I got an email on April 20 letting me know that I had been waitlisted.

I had hoped to return to Toronto from San Francisco to start my MSW but I will instead be going to NYU to get my MSW. So disgusted with the disorganization with York and U of T. Good luck everyone!

Anybody else hear back about the waiting list for York's 2-year MSW? I got the e-mail the day after I wrote them asking about my status. Maybe e-mailing them is the the way to get a status update ... still no change on MyFile, though.

Hi all,

I was accepted to U of T's MSW last week after the second time being wait listed. My average was only B + but to try to get in this year I retook a research methods course in order to get a better mark than my 73% - got 95% on a distance ed course from Athabasca. The course was actually a fair amount of work but it was pretty interesting and luckily no stats were involved :) . Apparently U of T sees your research course mark as pretty important in sorting through applications. (Of course, I'm sure your overall GPA and diversity of work/volunteer/life experience is even more crucial).

I wish everyone the best. I look forward to working alongside you all in the social work field one day!

p.s. still not heard from York at all....what a joke!!

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know for those on the waitlist for York, you should hear something really soon from them regarding yoru status. I just received an email from their department that the department's orientation is next month (June 13th). Fingers crossed for favourably results! And yes I do agree that it is ridiculous that York has been so unorganized! As a former undergraduate student, I knew that this was one of the negatives dealing with York. However, I think that each school and their individual departments have their own cultures which includes the negatives and positives. It is certainly something to think about when considering which school to go to. I have personally heard of both the good and the bad from former students at the three universities I applied to for social work.Anyways good luck and keep us posted!

so i've been following this thread forever, and freaking out because i was waitlisted. I decided that i would only apply to U of T and no backups, which i realized was a horrible idea. But i got a phone call today with an offer of admission. Hopefully you guys hear back soon.

so i've been following this thread forever, and freaking out because i was waitlisted. I decided that i would only apply to U of T and no backups, which i realized was a horrible idea. But i got a phone call today with an offer of admission. Hopefully you guys hear back soon.

OMG! That's great news! Congratulations! :)

I called York to voice my frustration today.

Result: MORE waiting.

The lady said that their goal is to inform all students within the next two weeks. And, she knows that they've been saying that for awhile, but they got 500 applications for 20 spots and they moved and their short staffed. Basically a whole bunch of things we already knew.

She said that they're not done looking at applications yet. Sounds like bull to me, but who knows.

Good luck to everyone!

Edit: this is for the two year MSW program only.

Edited by praying4MSW

This is crap! 2 more weeks from York?! some people have clearly found out already, so it would appear that they have made up their minds on a few applications, so they must know - especially if they are sending admissions info out in June... I am trying to get my Plan B in place (not really sure what that is, but I guess I'll take a stats course and find a new job...). Good luck keeping your sanity everyone!

The lady said that their goal is to inform all students within the next two weeks. And, she knows that they've been saying that for awhile, but they got 500 applications for 20 spots and they moved and their short staffed. Basically a whole bunch of things we already knew.

Ah yes. Two weeks is their catch phrase. They said that back at the end of April.

Good luck everyone and hang in there!

I've been following this feed for a while. Haven't heard much said about the MSW program at the University of Windsor. I have been accepted there (after being waitlisted for U of C and rejected from U of T and Laurier). Anyone else going to Windsor for the MSW program?

I've been following this feed for a while. Haven't heard much said about the MSW program at the University of Windsor. I have been accepted there (after being waitlisted for U of C and rejected from U of T and Laurier). Anyone else going to Windsor for the MSW program?

Hi Steph, congrats on getting accepted! I have also been accepted for the University of Windsor. If you are interested to talk, let me know.

Still no word from York for me. Status still same on Myfile.

ALTHOUGH I was talking to a recent MSW York grad the other day, and she said that she was waitlisted and didn't her back from York until about 4 weeks before classes were scheduled to start!!!!

I nearly crapped myself when I heard this.

At this stage I can only assume that York is trying to discourage MSW hopefuls with this prolonged waiting game?

Hi Steph! Welcome! I don't know anything about U Windsor, but when did you find out about being waitlisted at UofC? (I still have heard nothing from them)

I heard about being waitlisted at U of C in the last week of April (via e-mail). Seems strange that I'm on the waitlist but they still haven't sent out all their admission decisions...I'm not sure how that works.

Hi Steph, congrats on getting accepted! I have also been accepted for the University of Windsor. If you are interested to talk, let me know.

Thanks, same to you! It would be great to chat, I haven't heard of any else being admitted yet.

Still no word from York for me. Status still same on Myfile.

ALTHOUGH I was talking to a recent MSW York grad the other day, and she said that she was waitlisted and didn't her back from York until about 4 weeks before classes were scheduled to start!!!!

I nearly crapped myself when I heard this.

At this stage I can only assume that York is trying to discourage MSW hopefuls with this prolonged waiting game?

The wait list e-mail I received from York said that, in the past, people have been accepted off the wait list as late as August. People could drop out of the program at the last minute, I guess, if they get accepted off a waiting list elsewhere. By the way, my status on MyFile never changed to indicate I am on a waiting list. My experience with Admissions at York is that they have no clue what the School of Social Work is doing anyway, so I wouldn't count on it ever changing.

I received an email response from York's department of social work after asking what my status is, as my file still states 'no decision yet'. I was told that they have already sent out first-round acceptances and refusals & that they are waiting to hear back from the first-round acceptances. I was also told that I was 'likely' on the the waiting list if I had not received anything from the department as yet.

So yes, it would've been nice if they had told the waitlisted applicants that they were in fact waitlisted. That way we would know that we are waiting for someone to not accept an offer of admission and/or change their mind at the last minute :/

Hang in there!

I just got a response the same as you Pleaseacceptme... this sucks, is all I can say. out of the 20 people they have accepted, I can only imagine that a few will say no and then how many of us of the 500 that applied are waitlisted??