What are you reading?

misterpat

I'm reading "dorky stuff" (i.e., not published in the last 100 years) too, but I'll share my short-list of non-dorky fiction that I'm going to read soon--Netherland by Joseph O'Neill and The Attack by Yasmina Khadra.

Netherland is really good. He's an excellent writer.

I'm currently reading Don Quixote for a book club, Rising Up and Rising Down by William T. Vollman, and various working papers written by professors from the departments I'm applying to. Needless to say, I've flown through some fluffier material while in the middle of all of these.

Text books - lots of Latin American plays + an ethics book + a Guatemalan novel from the forties and a lot of research on genocide and its warning signs (thesis). For fun: re-reading HP six and seven in preparation for the movie that's coming out this summer. For fun / prep for potential interviews: books on Spanish history, history of Spanish literature, history of the Spanish language, and literary criticism. If I get time: Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond, The Basque History of the World by Mark Kurlansky, Don Quijote de La Manca, Gabriel Garcia Marquez stuff, and basic Philosophy stuff.

Weew. Great thread!

I freaking HATED that movie. I've never been so angry at a movie before in my life, and I refuse to read the book. I just could not shake the feeling of sadness for a full 24 hours - I can't believe how much the movie affected me and I HATE it. Okay, sorry :)

You are angry because it made you feel something? Isn't that the point? Doesn't that mean it was good? I dunno, you're probably joking. It's just that I used to live with a girl who always had to talk during films. What really got her going was when she saw people in any form of emotional or physical distress - 'Why is that necessary?' she'd cry, 'How can this film be good?' She's not as bad as the people who I'd have in seminars who would decide that they hated a book on the grounds that they wouldn't want to be friends with the main character. 'He was so creepy, urgh, it was a terrible book.' Erm, you were reading Lolita... I think that's the point.

Right now I am reading Lord Jim by Conrad, which is fantastic. But it has taken me eight weeks to read just over two hundred pages! I used to read two or three novels a week, plus criticism. The worrying is getting to me - Conrad's prose is quite winding, if you lose track of something you have to start the whole epic paragraph all over again. I have also re-read all my Alan Moore comic books. They go down much more easily.

For funsies I'm reading A Natural History of Seeing, which discusses the evolution of the eye from photoreceptive pigments to the more complex invertebrate and vertebrate eyes. I'm getting a Master's in evolutionary biology and teaching human A&P, so it's about ten sorts of awesome to me.

I'm also reading More Sex Is Safer Sex: The Unconventional Wisdom of Economics, because economic theory has always intrigued me. That, and Steven E. Lansburg is frickin' hilarious.

I'm also reading More Sex Is Safer Sex: The Unconventional Wisdom of Economics, because economic theory has always intrigued me. That, and Steven E. Lansburg is frickin' hilarious.

I considered reading that, but wasn't sure if it was going to be good. I thought it might just be someone trying to cash in on the popularity of Freakonomics. Good stuff so far, then?

The Big Necessity - Rose Geroge (Mostly on the subway)

A Sociological History of Excretory Experience: defecatory manners and toiletry technologies - David Ingils (Mostly at home)

The Civilizing Process - Norbert Elias (On-going when I am motivated)

I try to divide my leisure reading so it's half "serious" literature and nonfiction and half fun, lightweight literature and nonfiction...but I definitely end up reading more of the fun, lightweight stuff. But that's what's great about not being in school! I can DO that!

...And all my classmates in my current grad program talk about me because I actually read scholarly and nonfiction shit on my spare time (granted, it's an applied program, so thinking more deeply than I need to has been pretty much superfluous :roll: ). However, I don't feel "quite" as ridiculous after going through this thread...

Daniel Everett's Don't Sleep There Are Snakes. It came out pretty recently and it's all about his experiences living with the Piraha tribe in Brazil. Highly recommended, esp if youre into anthropology, linguistics and/or philosophy of language.

I'm reading Kant's Critique of Pure Reason and The Gaze of Orpheus by Maurice Blanchot. I'm a huge fan of the former and kind of lukewarm on the latter: Blanchot seems to have only one idea, which he repeats continuously in page after page of turgid prose.

Yes, I'm a huge nerd.

Ah, thanks a lot. Linguistics is actually the only subfield I don't do, but this sounds so interesting that I'm going to pick it up.

Do! it's that rare gem - a book that's profound and also utterly readable. let me know what you think!

Motherless Brooklyn, by Jonathan Lethem. Which is really good so far, and is resurrecting an old desire of mine: to be a detective. Maybe a plan B if I'm not accepted.

Throughout the whole long process I've read Infinite Jest by Wallace and Mrs. Dalloway by Woolf, and I've been trying to stay up on my lit theory, to varying degrees of success.

Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.

Playing the Game: The Streetsmart Guide to Graduate School

I prefer more "academic" books to novels. Since I like movies and want to make them novels only read as slow movie to me...I'm odd. :D