Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2012

guishediaz

hey u r in NJ too! Which school? I'm from Rutgers-NB

I'm currently teaching at a high school in Mercer Co. Graduated from Williams a couple years back. Have you decided where you're headed next year?

Hi friends,

I applied for PhD in Structural engineering for the fall 2012 to four universities. Virginia Tech., Suny Buffalo, Rice Univ, Syracuse.

I got Reject from Suny Buffalo ( Applied very late, 10days after deadline ).. but admit in Rice and Syracuse.

Please suggest what should I do ? ... as Phd Without funding is next to difficult.... should I defer my admission ? and also next time will apply more univs ...

If you can afford to take a year or two off, possibly while gaining some useful professional experience, this might be more beneficial and improve your chances in the next round. I took 2 years off to teach (largely because nothing worked out in my first round—got rejected from 6 PhD programs and A&M admitted me to the MS instead). Although my route was crazy, since I majored in physics and I'm currently teaching high school math!

Thanks everyone for your support! Turned down UIUC's MS offer today (no money). Heading to JHU for a PhD! Good luck everyone.

Edited by Jrock4real

Also, @hisushank, I know grad school apps are expensive, but you certainly want to apply to more in the future, if you can afford it. I applied to 10, and I only got 1 realistic option. But then, I guess MS is a different ball game.

Deferring your admission is also an option, but you could also try your luck with other programs (grad school deferrals (MS) are usually not binding; you could confirm if this is the case for the Rice PhD, though). I guess they grant these on a case-by-case basis. I hope things works out.

I'm currently teaching at a high school in Mercer Co. Graduated from Williams a couple years back. Have you decided where you're headed next year?

wow that's really nice!

Right now I'm waiting for Stanford. If it rejects me, I will choose Berkeley.

wow that's really nice!

Right now I'm waiting for Stanford. If it rejects me, I will choose Berkeley.

Well, i hope you hear from them soon enough. Stanford and UCB are both awesome choices. Are you going for MS or PhD?

@Crix: Good luck. Let us know how it goes. @mrhr0bin: I do hope you get off the JHU waitlist. Did you hear from Georgia Tech yet? I called last week and they said they had a ton of applications and were still in the review stage, and probably would not get back before April 15. (I guess I didn't make first cut.)

@Crix: Good luck. Let us know how it goes. @mrhr0bin: I do hope you get off the JHU waitlist. Did you hear from Georgia Tech yet? I called last week and they said they had a ton of applications and were still in the review stage, and probably would not get back before April 15. (I guess I didn't make first cut.)

I called GA Tech yesterday. They told me that they had the record amount of applications this year and it's taking a lot of time to review. I am not expecting anything from there. And I am not expecting anything better from JHU or Northeastern either. Basically I have braced myself for another round of applications (may be in a year or two). So let's see. Good luck to all of you guys.

I called GA Tech yesterday. They told me that they had the record amount of applications this year and it's taking a lot of time to review. I am not expecting anything from there. And I am not expecting anything better from JHU or Northeastern either. Basically I have braced myself for another round of applications (may be in a year or two). So let's see. Good luck to all of you guys.

I'm hopeful the next round would be better! This is also my "second" round in three years. First year (still college senior), applied to 7 PhDs (got into 1 MS). Second year, applied to 1 PhD and denied. Third year (this one), applied to 10 MS programs and going for PhD. So, I hope this gives you some encouragement. Best wishes.

UT Austin vs UIUC?!?!?! Help needed!!!

Considering a case without funding,,, just a coldblooded opinion?!?!?

I'd also go UIUC, if you've not visited either, yet. Sure Austin has its charms (academic and otherwise), but if you're into structures, UIUC's legacy is hard to beat.

Congratssss!!! Who was your POI at Stanford? Is it Dr. Deierlein or Dr. Billington?

Thanks! I am interested in Dr. Deierlein's and Dr. Miranda's work. I was Interviewed by Dr. Miranda, but I have 6 months to decide who to work with.