Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2012

guishediaz

Congrats =)You decided to go UIUC?? Have you heard anything about financial support from UCBerkeley yet??

Well, the Fulbright/LASPAU commitee explained me they don't do TUITION WAIVERS...so, I rejected the other offers and I'm heading to UIUC! :D

Received an acceptance email from UIUC today for M.S. Totally surprised especially after my rejections from UT and Stanford last week.

Still waiting on funding from Cornell, anyone heard anything?

I think for me right now it is between the 11-month M.S. at UIUC and the M.Eng at MIT, thoughts?

I applied for MS but haven't heard a word from UIUC, either.

Received an acceptance email from UIUC today for M.S. Totally surprised especially after my rejections from UT and Stanford last week.

Still waiting on funding from Cornell, anyone heard anything?

I think for me right now it is between the 11-month M.S. at UIUC and the M.Eng at MIT, thoughts?

Hi! what type of course, u have applied for like 11 months MS??? and M.Eng @ MIT under Prof. J J Connor?

I'm still waiting to hear about funding from CEE at Cornell, although I applied in Environmental Processes. Their graduate program coordinator is on leave until June but her temporary replacement told me that they were making decisions this week and into next week. Hoping for the best...

Thanks man. They said that their funding decisions are running late due to their large volume of applications.

I would also like to ask, is anyone here receiving financial aid from VT?

I guess most of the people here are just waiting for financial decisions from their chosen universities. Let's really hope for the best in our financial aid!

Anyone heard back from the MS program at Stanford, SEG, on funding decisions? I was accepted a couple weeks ago via letter and am currently just waiting on possible funding decisions. I know that not many MS students get funding, but still waiting nonetheless.

Hi there!

I just got accepted to UT Austin. I got the e-mail directing me to the webpage where I found the acceptance letter. There it is not written anything about the major, just saying that I have been accepted to MSc Program in Civil Engineering... Does anyone know how this work out? I applied for Structural Eng, but I chose Transportation as a second choice.

OK, crap news for me today.

MIT said I was on their waitlist and that they would reconsider my application if I'm awarded with an external fellowship. I am currentlyt applying to the Chilean's Government Fellowship, however, the scholarship's comitee won't accept my application if I am not already officialy accepted. I know I will get this scholarship for sure if I make it into MIT, since I satisfy all their requirements (I've known a lot of people less qualified than me that has won it)... so I'm trapped in a circular problem!!!!!!!

OK, crap news for me today.

MIT said I was on their waitlist and that they would reconsider my application if I'm awarded with an external fellowship. I am currentlyt applying to the Chilean's Government Fellowship, however, the scholarship's comitee won't accept my application if I am not already officialy accepted. I know I will get this scholarship for sure if I make it into MIT, since I satisfy all their requirements (I've known a lot of people less qualified than me that has won it)... so I'm trapped in a circular problem!!!!!!!

Have you explained this to MIT admissions? It seems like they would be willing to admit you without funding or contingent on your receipt of it since funding appears to be their only concern.

Anyone heard back from the MS program at Stanford, SEG, on funding decisions? I was accepted a couple weeks ago via letter and am currently just waiting on possible funding decisions. I know that not many MS students get funding, but still waiting nonetheless.

I am still waiting to hear on funding form Stanford as well. Funding is the only thing that would cause me to go Stanford, so I am interested to hear. Apparently decisions are supposed to be made by April 7. That probably means that if we don't hear by tomorrow, it is unikely that funding will be offered. I know I will be calling tomorrow to make sure.

Have no idea yet! How will I learn that?

I always thought that people get to know who they'll be researching under. But then again I'm a sophomore so I probably don't know much.

Are you accepting the offer from john hopkins? Nothing is going right for me. I am rejected from Virginia Tech and waitlisted at John Hopkins. Still to get any kinda decision from UIUC or Georgia Tech. Looks like this is not going to be my year.

I'm sorry to hear this. This is my second full round of applications. Most likely, I will accept the JHU offer within the next few days. Nothing from UIUC or GATech, either. At this point, I'm not expecting much. I hope things work out for you.

Congrats to guishediaz, Drit, and everyone else who's set for next year! G'luck to all those still waiting...

Hi there!

I just got accepted to UT Austin. I got the e-mail directing me to the webpage where I found the acceptance letter. There it is not written anything about the major, just saying that I have been accepted to MSc Program in Civil Engineering... Does anyone know how this work out? I applied for Structural Eng, but I chose Transportation as a second choice.

Not sure how it works at Austin, but I would imagine most admissions decisions do not specify the track, as it's all one and the same department... And you'll probably be able to change your mind once you get in.

Same here, just got an e-mail from UIUC... I have been admitted, but without funding...Till now I have been rejected from Rice and Northeastern University, ranking 22nd and 49th... while have been accepted to UT Austin and UIUC.... this is strange and sounds weird to me :s :P

Still waiting for Georgia Tech and Toronto...

Same here, just got an e-mail from UIUC... I have been admitted, but without funding...Till now I have been rejected from Rice and Northeastern University, ranking 22nd and 49th... while have been accepted to UT Austin and UIUC.... this is strange and sounds weird to me :s :P

Still waiting for Georgia Tech and Toronto...

Nice. Did you get funding at Austin? Is this a factor for you? Haven't heard from GA Tech, either...

I am still waiting to hear on funding form Stanford as well. Funding is the only thing that would cause me to go Stanford, so I am interested to hear. Apparently decisions are supposed to be made by April 7. That probably means that if we don't hear by tomorrow, it is unikely that funding will be offered. I know I will be calling tomorrow to make sure.

Yea, I am also waiting on funding decisions from Stanford to really finalize my decision. It doesn't seem like too many ppl have made a decison yet, although April 15 is not too far away. I am deciding mostly now between UC Berkeley and Stanford, although so far those are two schools that I haven't been offered funding from. Anyone made the decision to go to Berkeley yet?

Hi friends,

I applied for PhD in Structural engineering for the fall 2012 to four universities. Virginia Tech., Suny Buffalo, Rice Univ, Syracuse.

I got Reject from Suny Buffalo ( Applied very late, 10days after deadline ).. but admit in Rice and Syracuse.

Rice mentioned in their offer letter, " state of national economy has effected the finances of graduate programs at Rice. As a result we are unable to offer you a tuition waiver or stipend support to lessen the financial burden of being a graduate student. If you able to procure a competitive scholarship from a recognized academic, government, or grant agency in the amount of atleast $14,000 per year ( for atleast three years) we can request a tuition waiver from the office of graduate & post graduate studies. otherwise youu will be responsible to the tuition ......................."

I tried to contact few professors in rice whether any positions available under them. one told that she dont have any positions now and will keep my resume in mind if she get any future projects and funds. While other replied that he at present not recruiting any more students and if I go there he can meet and discuss..

Chances of Getting funding in Syracuse also appears to be very low.

Please suggest what should I do ? ... as Phd Without funding is next to difficult.... should I defer my admission ? and also next time will apply more univs ...

Have you explained this to MIT admissions? It seems like they would be willing to admit you without funding or contingent on your receipt of it since funding appears to be their only concern.

Yes I have... but they replied saying that they don't issue acceptance letters conditioned to obtaining external funding. It really sucks!! I need to answer to CMU by April 15th and I really don't know what to do. I'll try to tell MIT that I am willing to pay the first year from my personal funds if I'm not awarded with the fellowship.