Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2012

guishediaz

Thanks, it is a relief to get in, but now I have to choose one. I'm interested in earthquake engineering and want to supplement with some construction management classes. Out of curiosity, you mentioned MIT and Berkeley, why would you put MIT over Stanford for structural given the rankings?

I am actually leaning towards Stanford because of their strong program and great location. Anyone have thoughts on why others are better?

Big congratulations to you for getting into all these top schools. If earthquake engineering is your interest, I would suggest Stanford, Berkeley or UIUC. MIT has virtually nothing going on in earthquake engineering, where Stanford has Dr. Deierlein who is a hot-shot in this field. Berkeley and UIUC also have some hot-shots in their rank too. Good luck.

Hey guys, do you think Lehigh has a good grad program of Structural Eng.?? I´ve heard so, but I wanna make sure cause I didn´t heard anything about it during my senior year at Cornell...

Thanks!!

Thanks, it is a relief to get in, but now I have to choose one. I'm interested in earthquake engineering and want to supplement with some construction management classes. Out of curiosity, you mentioned MIT and Berkeley, why would you put MIT over Stanford for structural given the rankings?

I am actually leaning towards Stanford because of their strong program and great location. Anyone have thoughts on why others are better?

Congrats on your acceptances! I'm leaning towards Stanford too (got into MIT but waiting for Berkeley)! Have any of the schools offered fellowships to you? I think that would probably be the deciding factor for me =)

Congrats on your acceptances! I'm leaning towards Stanford too (got into MIT but waiting for Berkeley)! Have any of the schools offered fellowships to you? I think that would probably be the deciding factor for me =)

Thanks! Congrats to you, too! No funding offers so far

Hey guys, do you think Lehigh has a good grad program of Structural Eng.?? I´ve heard so, but I wanna make sure cause I didn´t heard anything about it during my senior year at Cornell...

Thanks!!

Congrats on your acceptance. Lehigh is definitely way up there for structural engineering, with top research facilities - were you at the open house? A couple of the professors I dream[ed] of working with (Fahnestock and Garlock) are both Lehigh grads. Plus, it seems they have really strong industrial ties, if you're looking to go professional. It's a relatively small program, though.

Guys just received an email fro Francisco Armero under the subject "Berkeley Application Update". Got accepted at 1:30 Eastern time!!!! They invited me to their Open House on April 6th. Anyone else?

Guys just received an email fro Francisco Armero under the subject "Berkeley Application Update". Got accepted at 1:30 Eastern time!!!! They invited me to their Open House on April 6th. Anyone else?

Congrats. You've made it to your first choice program.

Congratulations! Just got good news from JHU, as well. In with half-tuition fellowship. Amazed and humbled!

Congratulations!! Will you be heading to California?

Quick question, does anyone know about phd program differences between Cambridge and US grad programs (aside from the year difference), for structures. I am still waiting to hear back from Austin but I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Thanks

Out of curiosity, you mentioned MIT and Berkeley, why would you put MIT over Stanford for structural given the rankings?

I didn't know that, but then I'm an undergrad. All the rankings that I saw regarding CEE put MIT on no. 1 for PhD programs. I guess it's also because I would like to go into computational structural mechanics or Finite element analysis ( which of course is a bit on the mechanical side ) rather than geotetch, as you and a lot of others are. I just didn't really know that there were any 'structural' specific rankings out there.

Mate I hope you don't mind me askin, could you give us a look at your stats. And congrats for nailing the schools. It's really inspiring.

cheers.

Edited by szy

Congratulations!! Will you be heading to California?

Well this is definitely my top choice and I would love to attend. Since I am a Fulbright I have to wait for my academic placer to confirm the funds and that's it I guess. Are u planning to go to the Open House? Is there anyone else planning to attend it?

Well this is definitely my top choice and I would love to attend. Since I am a Fulbright I have to wait for my academic placer to confirm the funds and that's it I guess. Are u planning to go to the Open House? Is there anyone else planning to attend it?

That's great! I'm not sure if I'll be at the open house in April. I am actually in CA now visiting Stanford at the end of the week. Today I'm planning on checking out Berkeley, too. I'll let you know what I think.

Guys, the new USNEWS Civil-grad rankings are out! These are the top ten:

#:1 UCB & UIUC

#:3 Gatech & Stanford

#:5 Austin

#:6 MIT & Purdue

#:8 Cornell , U Michigan - Ann Harbor & VT

#:11 Carnegie Mellon & Texas A&M

I am an undergraduate student , i got admission on JHU(Ms) and Lehigh(PhD) University in structural Engineering,i had written a book during my undergrad,my GPA is 3.7 and i am still waiting to hear from austin university and minnesota,TOEFL score is 96!

This morning I was admitted into Stanford's DCI Master's program. Very excited. Hope I get some type of funding because 43k tuition per year... ouch!

SF resident so I will be attending the open house on Friday.