Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2012

guishediaz

Just got into UCSD as well. What's the funding situation there? I find their website to be pretty unhelpful.

Seems like you guys received your decision from UCSD on Saturday. That's unusual. I still haven't got my decision from UCSD. Is there still time left for today? It's one of my dream schools. I am dying to get a (positive) decision from them.

By the way CONGRATS to all those people who are posting their acceptance news.:)

Edited by mrhr0bin

Seems like you guys received your decision from UCSD on Saturday. That's unusual. I still haven't got my decision from UCSD. Is there still time left for today? It's one of my dream schools. I am dying to get a (positive) decision from them.

By the way CONGRATS to all those people who are posting their acceptance news. :)

I'm applying to master's programs. It looks like you're going for PhD; I always assumed schools took care of PhD apps before master's so this is strange.

I also found it interesting that I heard on a Saturday.

I'm applying to master's programs. It looks like you're going for PhD; I always assumed schools took care of PhD apps before master's so this is strange.

I also found it interesting that I heard on a Saturday.

May be I am waitlisted or something. Fingers crossed. I talked to the department secretary. She told me that my application has been reviewed, but no action was taken. :wacko:

May be I am waitlisted or something. Fingers crossed. I talked to the department secretary. She told me that my application has been reviewed, but no action was taken. :wacko:

Good luck on that! Who invited u to the interview on VT?

Good luck on that! Who invited u to the interview on VT?

Thanks. Dr. Eatherton interviewed me over phone. Did you talk to anyone at VT recently?

Edited by mrhr0bin

Thanks. Dr. Eatherton interviewed me over phone. Did you talk to anyone at VT recently?

Nop. I havent ...but I have to contact Dr. Eatherton soon... kuz I met hiom last october and we were interested in working together.... He is nice! Good luck with him!

Did he mention if he has funds?

Hey, I applied to MSc Structural Engineering, Fall 2012, to

UT Austin

Georgia Tech

Illinois

Toronto

Rice

Northeastern...

I am an international applicant. Have not heard anything yet from them... Anyone has any info regarding any of these programs? My first choice would be Austin... waiting is killing me :@

UT Austin

Georgia Tech

Illinois

Toronto

Rice

Northeastern...

I am an international applicant. Have not heard anything yet from them... Anyone has any info regarding any of these programs? My first choice would be Austin... waiting is killing me :@

Yes. This waiting sucks. I have my MS thesis to finish. Also need to finish my journal paper. But all I am doing these days is refreshing my email page every two minutes.

By the way I got my northeastern decision last week. Hopefully you will get yours by next week. Wish you all the best.

Edited by mrhr0bin

UT Austin

Georgia Tech

Illinois

Toronto

Rice

Northeastern...

I'm an international applicant, too, but currently in the US. Applied to MS at Illinois and GA Tech, too, but haven't heard back, either. Good luck!

I'm an international applicant, too, but currently in the US. Applied to MS at Illinois and GA Tech, too, but haven't heard back, either. Good luck!

Would you mind sharing your profile?

Would you mind sharing your profile?

Undegrad: Williams College 2010

Majors: Physics, Music

GPA: 3.53

GRE: M 790, V 690, AW 4.0

Research: theoretical and experimental physics (honors thesis in optical fiber applications research)

Teaching: TA for two physics courses, resource center/peer tutor in physics

Publications: co-author on paper in Phys. Rev. (quantum entanglement) (not sure if this counts for CEE)

Awards: co-recipient departmental physics prize for research and teaching, sigma xi (probably not a big deal...)

Current: teaching mathematics at private boarding school (OPT STEM)

(I'm not sure what else to include in profile...) Thoughts: would have loved to take some basic CE courses at nearby institutions (audit or credit), but no time/no paperwork. Seems like it's tough to break into CE with physics background and not-so-stellar GPA...we'll see! (By the way, no funding for Lehigh MS yet, but I am grateful to have been accepted anyway!!)

Edited by Jrock4real

Undegrad: Williams College 2010

Majors: Physics, Music

GPA: 3.53

GRE: M 790, V 690, AW 4.0

Research: theoretical and experimental physics (honors thesis in optical fiber applications research)

Teaching: TA for two physics courses, resource center/peer tutor in physics

Publications: co-author on paper in Phys. Rev. (quantum entanglement) (not sure if this counts for CEE)

Awards: co-recipient departmental physics prize for research and teaching, sigma xi (probably not a big deal...)

Current: teaching mathematics at private boarding school (OPT STEM)

(I'm not sure what else to include in profile...) Thoughts: would have loved to take some basic CE courses at nearby institutions (audit or credit), but no time/no paperwork. Seems like it's tough to break into CE with physics background and not-so-stellar GPA...we'll see! (By the way, no funding for Lehigh MS yet, but I am grateful to have been accepted anyway!!)

Your Physics background looks pretty impressive. I have no idea how much it will help you to get into CEE programs. But it got you to Lehigh where I couldn't get into with my substantial CEE background. Wish you all the best.

Your Physics background looks pretty impressive. I have no idea how much it will help you to get into CEE programs. But it got you to Lehigh where I couldn't get into with my substantial CEE background. Wish you all the best.

Thanks. At Lehigh, I would have to take a whole year of leveling courses (six of them). It would be nice to be able to do some research while getting these out of the way. Maybe it won't have to be this long elsewhere. Besides physics, I took a bunch of math courses, as well, plus econ and comp sci... but, yes, I really want to go into structural, so I'll be happy to go anywhere with the best offer.

All the best in your applications, too. I do hope you get better news from the other programs!

Yes. This waiting sucks. I have my MS thesis to finish. Also need to finish my journal paper. But all I am doing these days is refreshing my email page every two minutes.

By the way I got my northeastern decision last week. Hopefully you will get yours by next week. Wish you all the best.

What's your major?!

Hi to all!

I'm applying to CEE PhD programs at MIT, UCB, CMU, Stanford, UCSD, Texas Austin and Caltech.

I've only heard back from CMU (accepted!).

I'm applying to a scholarship from the Chilean Government that has April 17th as its deadline, so I need answers ASAP!!

My background:

- Civil Engineer (graduate with highest honors)

- MSc. Seismic Engineering (graduate with highest honors)

- GPA: 3.14 (top 30% of class of 700 people - best and most competitive Chilean school, ranked first was 3.4)

- GRE: Q:164 (91%), V: 156 (72%), AW: 3.5 (29%)

- TOEFL: 106

- 2 Conference publications

- 1 Journal publication (ISI)

- 2 years of work experience designing industrial steel buildings (HATCH)

- 1 internship in designing concrete builidings (Skidmore, Owings & Merrill)

Edited by Crix

Got into Stanford as well. My letter said that funding decisions would be made at a later date. Anyone going to the visitation on March 16?

I will definitely be going. Its only a 3 hour drive for me :)

By the way, that's exactly what my letter said too. Why oh why can't they let us know sooner on funding!?

Edited by Trigg_18

Yes, I got the decision late yesterday by email

Congratulations!!!! Did they offer funding? What time did you receive the decision? Did it directed you to the website or it already said you were accepted in the email?

Congratulations!!!! Did they offer funding? What time did you receive the decision? Did it directed you to the website or it already said you were accepted in the email?

Thanks! I got it around 4:30PM eastern time. The website has not been updated with the decision information yet. The email says that the official acceptance will be from the Graduate Department, this is just an email from the structures group to let me know to expect the letter soon and that I have been admitted. It didn't say anything about funding

Spanish GPA 8.0/10

Cornell GPA (senior year, as an exchange student) 3.50/4.3

Toefl iBT 104/120

Gre: Q 167 (95%), V 155 (67%), W 4.0 (49%)

Summer internship in a Construction Company as field engineer

applied to: UC San Diego, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, USC and Lehigh

I´ve only heard back from Lehigh (accepted), still waiting for the others...

gl to you all!!

congrats to structeng. that's inspiring man, it really is.

I'm gonna assume that it's between MIT and Berkeley ( or maybe not ;) ). What's gonna be your concentration. cheers

congrats to structeng. that's inspiring man, it really is.

I'm gonna assume that it's between MIT and Berkeley ( or maybe not ;) ). What's gonna be your concentration. cheers

Thanks, it is a relief to get in, but now I have to choose one. I'm interested in earthquake engineering and want to supplement with some construction management classes. Out of curiosity, you mentioned MIT and Berkeley, why would you put MIT over Stanford for structural given the rankings?

I am actually leaning towards Stanford because of their strong program and great location. Anyone have thoughts on why others are better?

Thanks, it is a relief to get in, but now I have to choose one. I'm interested in earthquake engineering and want to supplement with some construction management classes. Out of curiosity, you mentioned MIT and Berkeley, why would you put MIT over Stanford for structural given the rankings?

I am actually leaning towards Stanford because of their strong program and great location. Anyone have thoughts on why others are better?

I believe Stanford program is a very good one, specially for its location, talking about Earthquake Engineering... but MIT's great as well.