Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2012

guishediaz

Did anyone get a funding offer from UCB?

I got admission from UCB today. But, there is no news about the funding decisions. My placement service(IIE) told that financial support hasn't been decided yet!!

I got admission from UCB today. But, there is no news about the funding decisions. My placement service(IIE) told that financial support hasn't been decided yet!!

Same story here with my placement service (LASPAU). Looks like we might be competing for the funds since we are both Fulbright... Good Luck! Keep me posted!

wait? there's something called a double masters ?

Well, technically it is called concurrent masters, it is basically a masters in Architecture and a masters in Structural Engineering taken at the same time. The idea is that the courses for one program count as the support courses for the other, and vice versa, so that you get both degrees in about 2-3 years. My undergrad is in Architectural Engineering so it seemed like an interesting option to pursue...

Link: http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/programs/concurrent#struc

Congrats to all who just received acceptances. March is definitely an exciting time. Hopefully by the end of the month, we would have heard back from all our prospective programs and figured everything out.

@szy: It's not uncommon to garner dual degrees in related fields. Many departments have flagship dual programs.

@mrhr0bin: Same here, for UIUC and GA Tech (status still reads "No Decision Has Been Made")... two more weeks to go in March, so will keep waiting. All the best!

Same story here with my placement service (LASPAU). Looks like we might be competing for the funds since we are both Fulbright... Good Luck! Keep me posted!

They sent me the unofficial admission letter and said that Dean of the Graduate Division will review and send the offer letter soon. I would be pleased if they offer a half tuition waiver =) I think Fulbrighters do not compete for anything :D

They sent me the unofficial admission letter and said that Dean of the Graduate Division will review and send the offer letter soon. I would be pleased if they offer a half tuition waiver =) I think Fulbrighters do not compete for anything :D

Well... I already received the official admission letter and they told me in the letter that the department would offer funding in case there{s any...so I asked Francisco Armero and he told me funding is very scarce... any funding available aparently... :(

Well... I already received the official admission letter and they told me in the letter that the department would offer funding in case there{s any...so I asked Francisco Armero and he told me funding is very scarce... any funding available aparently... :(

Understood.. And so we have no much chance to get financial support. How much will Fulbright give you as scholarship per year? I am curious about if it chances from country to country. Is it 30,000$ or higher??

Understood.. And so we have no much chance to get financial support. How much will Fulbright give you as scholarship per year? I am curious about if it chances from country to country. Is it 30,000$ or higher??

Well... my grant covers housing, dining and could cover part of tuition...but don´t know how much is it.... I know their annual stipend goes between 14000-22000 a year in my country.... since UCB did not waive my tuition then I have to wait for my academic placer to check with the fulbright commission if it s possible to cover the total or a portion of the tuition.... in the meanwhile, UIUC is trying to waive my tuition...so we´ll see...

Well... my grant covers housing, dining and could cover part of tuition...but don´t know how much is it.... I know their annual stipend goes between 14000-22000 a year in my country.... since UCB did not waive my tuition then I have to wait for my academic placer to check with the fulbright commission if it s possible to cover the total or a portion of the tuition.... in the meanwhile, UIUC is trying to waive my tuition...so we´ll see...

If UIUC waive your tuition but UCB does not. Normally, FB will choose UIUC for u. Also, living cost is cheaper in Illinois, so maybe your stipend is less than what u get if u r in CA.

It 's experience of my teacher. She 's FBer

btw, anyone here get feedback from UWashington seatle, I saw on portal that there were a result today

Got the rejection from Berkeley's Arch program today. Not sure if that means I am rejected from the structural program as well, but I am assuming I will be.

Advice time. What school would you pick?

Stanford (DCI), UCSD, or Politecnico di Milano (ARCH ENG, taught in English, program is ranked 47th in world),

Stanford is the top on my list, but tuition is a factor. They are going to let me know about funding soon, but if I don't receive any, the 44k per year tuition is hard to swallow. PoliMi is offering me full tuition plus a 5,000 euro per year stipend.

Keep in mind my undergrad is in Architectural Engineering, and I have 2 years experience in general contracting. I currently live in SF, so Stanford would mean not having to relocate. I am also married, and my wife can continue her career if we stay in USA, but would have to figure out some type of part time work/teach english if we went international. If you were me, how much tuition help would Stanford have to offer to choose them over the stipend in Italy at a lesser known program?

Appreciate any help or advice you can offer!

Got the rejection from Berkley yesterday... frustrating. Well, I guess it'll make my decision easier. UCB, Stanford, MIT and CMU are my top choices (computational mechanics applied to seismic engineering), so still waiting to hear from Stanford & MIT.

Congrats to all of you who made it to UCB!

Orticio,

I guess that they are still revising all the apps. If you check the result surveys for the previous years you'll see that some admission notifications came even after April 15th.

Got the rejection from Berkeley's Arch program today. Not sure if that means I am rejected from the structural program as well, but I am assuming I will be.

Advice time. What school would you pick?

Stanford (DCI), UCSD, or Politecnico di Milano (ARCH ENG, taught in English, program is ranked 47th in world),

Did you visit UCSD? I was accepted to both Stanford and UCSD (still...still waiting on UCB), and I was much more impressed with UCSD's structural program. Stanford's facilities are childish at best, which was surprising considering that it is a private institution. In addition, UCSD has about four times the number of structural faculty that Stanford has and about the same number of students. My impression was that if you wanted to do research (both computational and testing based), UCSD is a far better school. If you just want to do straight coursework (Masters), it seems like a wash, with both schools having good course offerings. However, UCSD has a far more diverse structural program (considering that their Structural department is independent of their Civil Engineering department, hence UCSD not being ranked). Thus, you can take structural classes that are not applicable to civil structures.

And then there is the price tag. Stanford's cost seems too high to be competitive. However, as you mentioned, it would be close to where you live, so that really must be a factor. Obviously both are good schools, but I got the feeling that Stanford relied on their name to draw students instead of the merit of their structural program. I could definitely be wrong, but those were the impressions I got from attending the grad event for both schools.

Did you visit UCSD? I was accepted to both Stanford and UCSD (still...still waiting on UCB), and I was much more impressed with UCSD's structural program. Stanford's facilities are childish at best, which was surprising considering that it is a private institution. In addition, UCSD has about four times the number of structural faculty that Stanford has and about the same number of students. My impression was that if you wanted to do research (both computational and testing based), UCSD is a far better school. If you just want to do straight coursework (Masters), it seems like a wash, with both schools having good course offerings. However, UCSD has a far more diverse structural program (considering that their Structural department is independent of their Civil Engineering department, hence UCSD not being ranked). Thus, you can take structural classes that are not applicable to civil structures.

And then there is the price tag. Stanford's cost seems too high to be competitive. However, as you mentioned, it would be close to where you live, so that really must be a factor. Obviously both are good schools, but I got the feeling that Stanford relied on their name to draw students instead of the merit of their structural program. I could definitely be wrong, but those were the impressions I got from attending the grad event for both schools.

Have anybody received PhD admission decisions( Structural) from UCSD, Northwestern, and NCSU? They are taking too long to make decisions. So far I have seen that UCSD has given a few Masters admit , but no PhD. Does anybody know, by when the decisions could be made?

I've got my rejection from UCSD this morning (4.00 a.m?!), didn't even hurt, wasn't going to accept it either. Best of luck for all, it is almost over!

Edited by Crix

I've got my rejection from UCSD this morning (4.00 a.m?!), didn't even hurt, wasn't going to accept it either. Best of luck for all, it is almost over!

by email or checking the website??

@ guishediaz: Congrats for your acceptances!! However, it must be frustrating to depend on the fulbright guys to make the decision!! I supose they'll consider your interests (UCB I guess) in deciding where to send you. Good luck!

@ orticio: they sent it by email.

@ guishediaz: Congrats for your acceptances!! However, it must be frustrating to depend on the fulbright guys to make the decision!! I supose they'll consider your interests (UCB I guess) in deciding where to send you. Good luck!

@ orticio: they sent it by email.

Hopefully! This is my list of preferences:

#:1 UCB

#:2 UIUC

#:3 Austin or VT (dunno yet)

#:5 Gatech