CSU's: Anyone accepted yet?

bounce

Thanks for the feedback! I had some major transcript issues with San Jose, which finally all got figured out last week, so I may not here from the for a little while considering they are just now looking at my application! ugh, soo annoying! hopefully it wont negatively affect my admissions status!

I know how you feel. My application got declined because they did not receive my fall transcripts in time :( Oh well, it just wasn't meant to be :)...moving on.

I applied to the MSW program at SFSU and am going crazy not hearing back yet. When I log in to check my application status, it says "Accept Admission Offer-Pending Admission Decision" as well as forms to submit my immunizations and my financial aid package. Does anybody else have this showing on their page? I am confused if I am admitted with all of these on the page. Would it be there if I wasn't admitted?

Yeah, I got that too. Apparently, because this is a two-tier application; csu mentor and department, what you are seeing is the former. The important one (department) is the one that is delaying and once they approve our applications those notices will change. I am currently at Sonoma State and it is exactly the same process :)

Hey there, thanks for the info. I have the same on my website login as well, and now I have my financial aid award as well. I called the financial aid office and asked if I should accept it by the May 1st deadline even if I'm not accepted yet to the MSW program, and the woman said that I shouldn't until I am accepted. I asked then what if it passes the deadline and then I'm accepted, and she said at that point there will be a button to reinstate my financial aid. Has anyone else been thinking about this as a question and called to ask? I just want to make sure someone else calls or maybe I'll call again to Double check since sometimes people do mess up w/ information like this and you (me) end up making a mistake and not having financial aid is umm not an option lol. And since you work there, it's interesting because someone else on here said they go there but that we will all know by the end of April but you've now pointed out it will be at the earliest the end of April...meaning we might actually keep onnnn waitttingggg?? ah....

Did you notice they have extended deadline to 9 May :)

I have to respond to another program by May 1st. At this point SF has kind of pissed me off. We applied like 5 months ago. This isn't med school or law school. What has taken them so damn long? Now I am left in a predicament. Sorry, haha.. It's been a crazy week, and hearing that we wont know until the last day of April added to it.

For those of us who got interim financial aid awards from SFSU, you should have another email from the financial aid award office bearing good news that the SUG will be available to eligible graduate students for 2012-2013. It covers the tuition fee, which is probably why our awards were less than the COA. The SUG is approx the difference.

Wonderful news because tis the only free money we get....I'll gratefully accept it. Glory hallelujah! This is awesome news :-)

Yeah, I just noticed this in my e-mail too. This is really good news, although this is not the reason why everyone's awards are less than their cost of attendance. The school does not have to provide us with the total cost of attendance, that's where Private loans come in! Everything's based on the federal and california budget and what you yourself can contribute, at some point the state and feds cannot offer you anymore than the max of loans/grants that you're eligible for, and even then there are more people that are eligible but not everyone even gets the max depending on what you can contribute. Either way, this will help those people who are in most need first, which would be those who have the least family contribution, and have dependents to take care of...and then it goes next to those of us who have small or no family contributions but no dependents etc. So, although this is great news, this is not by any means a guarantee for any of us...I'll keep my fingers crossed for myself and all of you too :)

What Lisbeth said is exactly right. They don't have to award you up to the costs of attendance and for many gradstudents this doesn't happen especially in expensive cities where the COA is higher. I am not waiting on SFSU but am going to another CSU. They do expect grad students to find other sources of funding if they have to. Private loans are an option, family help, savings, or even working part time.

Everything really depends on your EFC. I think to qualify for the SUG you have to have an EFC of 800 or less which is pretty low actually. If you have held a normal job it is likely you won't qualify. Also if you still have to use your parents on your FAFSA it is less likely you will qualify.

I received an acceptance email from CSUN for their 2 yr online MSW program. It said "contingent on meeting all of the California State University admission requirements". So I am accepted into the program but not into the college itself yet...is this normal? I hope it goes through quickly as I am really excited to be going to CSUN.

I received an acceptance email from CSUN for their 2 yr online MSW program. It said "contingent on meeting all of the California State University admission requirements". So I am accepted into the program but not into the college itself yet...is this normal? I hope it goes through quickly as I am really excited to be going to CSUN.

Erica, did you have an interview with them? They contacted to me to setup and interview two weeks ago and they never set one up!! I called the office several times. Anyway, congrats!! I am DYING to get in there!!

Thank you! I emailed back the acceptance form an hour after I was accepted. No, I did not have an interview with them but maybe this is different for those who are going the online route with CSUN. Are looking at on campuss, a satellite site or online? The only interview that I will be doing is with the Field Education unit for a field placement interview. Hang in there, it was killing me too so hopefully you will hear something soon, either way.

Yeah that's normal, to be accepted to the program and then later the university or visa versa. The university has certain requirements that the department might not have, such as some require a 3.0 for a program but a 2.75 for the university or flip flopped...as with other similar requirements. I'm sure you'll be fine though, usually a program wouldn't accept you if they thought the university couldn't.

Did anyone else get the extension for May 9th?

Yeah I got that extension for may 9th, it's not like I was told though, it just says it now and if it weren't for Nina saying so I probably wouldn't have noticed...But again, I called the finiancial aid office and the woman said that if I'm not accepted by the deadline it's fine, don't accept it and once you are accepted you will be able to reinstate it by pressing a button. I dunno...that kind of worries me and if I don't hear from them before may 9th I'll probably just accept my offer anyways just in case!

I also got the SUG award today, SFSU emailed me of a change to my financial aid so i kind of knew it had to be that and it was!! I'm really really really happy about that....however also really bummed because I probably won't be getting in if only 25 people are being accepted and I have no idea how many hundreds applied this year lol. Darnit! But I'll be happy right now because I can at least still HOPE....

Edited by Lisbeth

Has any one gotten a decision notification from CSULB within the last wee and if so did it come in the form of an email or an offical letter?

I originally thought that Long Beach rejected my application so I was completely surprised when I received a message from them this evening! They offered me a seat with the 3-year Older Adults and Families concentration. I'm going to decline their offer because I like Dominguez Hills' Community Mental Health specialization more.

Hopefully one of you will take my seat!

I originally thought that Long Beach rejected my application so I was completely surprised when I received a message from them this evening! They offered me a seat with the 3-year Older Adults and Families concentration. I'm going to decline their offer because I like Dominguez Hills' Community Mental Health specialization more.

Hopefully one of you will take my seat!

Good for you may I ask when you turned in your application? I have received appectance letter from multiple school but I do like their program and don't wanna jump the gun only to find out I've been accepted. Best of luck to you

Where are people getting these numbers for amount of people accepted? I know SFSU has a small acceptance rate, but 25 people??? How can they have a class that small? ughh... :unsure:

Well SFSU cut two of its concentrations within the last year or two or last few years, so it's only one concentration whereas it used to be three, so I think it used to be more like 3 groups of 25ish people each year...and so now it makes sense that if they cut 2 out because of budget cuts that now the school's only given them money enough to continue with one concentration...news flash to us all: California's public schools and universities are going to shit, stand up for it whenever and however you can!!! (it explains this on their website that it had to do with budget contraints and I've heard from others that there were conflicting views between department people abt. what direction the program should go).

Ok I have to vent this even though there's only I think 2 others who are going to CSUDH. I just was checking their website about the SUG award, since I was offered it for SFSU now, but not for CSUDH(where I was actually accepted). I noticed on their (CSUDH) website that they said that people who are in programs through extended university cannot get a SUG award, and then they continue to list a few programs and MSW is one of them. So I'm thinking this is not true, MSW is not through extended university, so I go to double check on their site for extended education and I cannot find the MSW program Anywhere. So to me this is weird since the MSW program is Not listed and yet it states that those of us in an MSW program cannot receive the SUG because the program is through the extended university/education. Ahhhhh sorry but I'm just so annoyed because I have to wait until monday to call both the department and the financial aid office and figure this all out. I'm really worried that the financial aid office wrongly didn't consider any of us for the SUG because they wrongly have it as being through the extended education part of the university....what on earth would they do to fix this if they've already given others this award which should have been considered for us too?? (not that I would even be considered compared to my classmates but common this is annoying...) Thanks for letting me rant, it's the only place where this would make any sense lol

Ok I have to vent this even though there's only I think 2 others who are going to CSUDH. I just was checking their website about the SUG award, since I was offered it for SFSU now, but not for CSUDH(where I was actually accepted). I noticed on their (CSUDH) website that they said that people who are in programs through extended university cannot get a SUG award, and then they continue to list a few programs and MSW is one of them. So I'm thinking this is not true, MSW is not through extended university, so I go to double check on their site for extended education and I cannot find the MSW program Anywhere. So to me this is weird since the MSW program is Not listed and yet it states that those of us in an MSW program cannot receive the SUG because the program is through the extended university/education. Ahhhhh sorry but I'm just so annoyed because I have to wait until monday to call both the department and the financial aid office and figure this all out. I'm really worried that the financial aid office wrongly didn't consider any of us for the SUG because they wrongly have it as being through the extended education part of the university....what on earth would they do to fix this if they've already given others this award which should have been considered for us too?? (not that I would even be considered compared to my classmates but common this is annoying...) Thanks for letting me rant, it's the only place where this would make any sense lol

Rant away. There is that little itsy bitsy detail of what is the SUG. The SUG is for needy students who are paying resident tuition fees. All regular students qualify because they are working towards a degree. For extended education, there are courses offered individually and there are those that work towards a degree. Sonoma State has a Hutchins program that offers a BA in Liberal studies via Extended Education paying full tuition for 10-12 units. That program qualifies for SUG. The financial aid office needs to make that distinction. I know because that is what I am currently doing.

Hmmm... I know the 3 year program is offered via the extended ed program; however, the 2yr program is offered through the regular colledge (not sure about the 4 yr program). I will have to research this and talk with some of my "connections" to see what all this means. Personally, I was not even aware of SUG... I applied for grants and scholarships via graduate education in hopes of gaining some kind of free money. I only want the DMH stipend; therefore, I have to wait until my 2nd year for Cal-SWEC.

Lisbeth,

After reading the website, this is what it says "Students who participate in the Older Adult Fee Waiver Program, receive vocational rehabilitation stipends, are enrolled through Extended Education (Alcohol & Drug Certificate, Orthotics & Prosthetics Therapy, CSD, MSW, MSQA, NCRP, etc.), recipients of Cal Grant A or B and students whose fees are paid by another party are NOT eligible for a SUG Award"... Basically IF you are in the extended ed program you DO NOT qualify... It's not saying ALL MSW programs do not qualify.

Unfortunately, I do not qualify for SUG... :wacko: EFC is $800 or less.

Which program are you enrolled in? I am enrolled in the 2yr - Full Time program @ CSUDH... Don't forget class enrollment begins 4/24. :D :D :D :D

Edited by MSW Bound

@Nina moreno- I think your post about the SUG is a little misleading. You said "all regular students qualify because they are working towards a degree.". This statement is not true. I think you know what you are talking about but, I don't want people to get the wrong idea. Residents of California that have an EFC of 800 or less qualify.

@Lisbeth-What a super frustrating situation. Try to stay calm and talk with the school as soon as possible. Ranting totally acceptable.

Edited by allyba

Hi Lisbeth:

I am not sure where you got that information from re "EFC has to 800 or less" because that is not what it says in this definition:

State University Grant (SUG) Gift aid for undergraduate, 2nd baccalaureate, credential and classified graduate California residents, paying resident tuition and Registration fees.

Enrollment requirement: full award = 7 units or more, half award = 6 units for undergraduates, 4 - 6 units for graduates.

Students with a fee subsidy/waiver are ineligible for this grant.

• Maximum award per semester is $2,736 for undergraduates
  • $3,369 for second BA and Master's degree students per semester.

This is a state grant and applies to " California residents paying resident tuition and registration fees". If you got the SUG in your financial aid award package, then, you obviously qualify.