CSU's: Anyone accepted yet?

bounce

@Nina moreno- I think your post about the SUG is a little misleading. You said "all regular students qualify because they are working towards a degree.". This statement is not true. I think you know what you are talking about but, I don't want people to get the wrong idea. Residents of California that have an EFC of 800 or less qualify.

@Lisbeth-What a super frustrating situation. Try to stay calm and talk with the school as soon as possible. Ranting totally acceptable.

I guess I should ask you the same question I asked Lisbeth. Where did you get your info that "Residents of California that have an EFC of 800 or less qualify." That is not what I understand from the criteria that I quoted.

What Lisbeth said is exactly right. They don't have to award you up to the costs of attendance and for many gradstudents this doesn't happen especially in expensive cities where the COA is higher. I am not waiting on SFSU but am going to another CSU. They do expect grad students to find other sources of funding if they have to. Private loans are an option, family help, savings, or even working part time.

Everything really depends on your EFC. I think to qualify for the SUG you have to have an EFC of 800 or less which is pretty low actually. If you have held a normal job it is likely you won't qualify. Also if you still have to use your parents on your FAFSA it is less likely you will qualify.

Usually, depending on your need base, they award up to the COA. You then have an option to accept the full award or not.

Where are people getting these numbers for amount of people accepted? I know SFSU has a small acceptance rate, but 25 people??? How can they have a class that small? ughh... :unsure:

It's called budget cuts :) As for where I got that number; at the information session, where we were told that they were only taking 25 new intakes and encouraged us to apply elsewhere.

It's called budget cuts :) As for where I got that number; at the information session, where we were told that they were only taking 25 new intakes and encouraged us to apply elsewhere.

I was at an informational session last October and was told that last year they accepted about 25 people, but this year they were trying to up it to 75ish people. I gues they just couldn't do it :unsure:

I got a strange letter from CSUEB in the mail today informing me that my application is incomplete and that in order for them to render a decision I needed to submit current transcripts. Strange, because I did apply via CSU Mentor, but, not to the department because I did not satisfy the prerequisite of "Human Anatomy".....tired of doing GED courses and don't intend to do anymore at grad. school. I guess they still see me as a potential candidate given SJSU outright declined my application for incomplete info......they wanted Fall transcripts, but I guess they did not get it in time. Maybe, too, unlike SJSU, CSUEB appreciates that I have a current 3.9 GPA and extensive volunteer experience. Who knows! Will call on Monday and find out.

I guess I should ask you the same question I asked Lisbeth. Where did you get your info that "Residents of California that have an EFC of 800 or less qualify." That is not what I understand from the criteria that I quoted.

You are welcome to ask your local financial aid office. You can also check on the general Cal State University link here.

http://www.calstate...._programs.shtml

Here´s a quote from the site.

provides need-based awards to cover a portion of the State Tuition Fee for eligible undergraduate, graduate, and postbaccalaureate students who are California residents. Systemwide, the priority is to award a SUG at least equal to the amount of the State Tuition Fee ($5,472 for undergraduates, $6,348 for teaching credential and $4,962 for graduate and postbaccalaureate students) to eligible students who apply for financial by March 2, who have an expected family contribution (EFC) of $800 or less, and who are not receiving a Cal Grant or other award designated to cover fees. Each campus has established local awarding policies and priorities for these funds.

Edited by allyba

I was at an informational session last October and was told that last year they accepted about 25 people, but this year they were trying to up it to 75ish people. I gues they just couldn't do it :unsure:

Strange, I was at that same information session. But, when I called to inquire about the status of my application, the person who answered the phone told me that they were only admitting 25 successful applicants, however, she did not mention whether it was sum total or per concentration. There are only two concentrations they are offering this academic year; child welfare and IFG. They are not offering SAC.

That said, it would be great though, if they admit 75 applicants as the probability of us getting in increases tremendously :)

Edited by Nina Moreno

You are welcome to ask your local financial aid office. You can also check on the general Cal State University link here.

http://www.calstate...._programs.shtml

Here´s a quote from the site.

provides need-based awards to cover a portion of the State Tuition Fee for eligible undergraduate, graduate, and postbaccalaureate students who are California residents. Systemwide, the priority is to award a SUG at least equal to the amount of the State Tuition Fee ($5,472 for undergraduates, $6,348 for teaching credential and $4,962 for graduate and postbaccalaureate students) to eligible students who apply for financial by March 2, who have an expected family contribution (EFC) of $800 or less, and who are not receiving a Cal Grant or other award designated to cover fees. Each campus has established local awarding policies and priorities for these funds.

Ok. Thanks. Will come down from my soapbox now :)

Edited by Nina Moreno

Usually, depending on your need base, they award up to the COA. You then have an option to accept the full award or not.

They sure try to award up to the COA if they can. They do not make any promises about doing so and often aren´t able to award up to the COA for people that have higher EFCs-these days even people with somewhat medium EFCs may not get an award that completely covers the COA. They may have to seek private loans to cover the rest if needed. It happens to a lot of students. Most financial aid offices will give you the disclamer somewhere that they ¨make every effort to award up to the COA.¨ They do try. As expenses go up more and more students though have to seek additional funding sources.

Got a call today from a representative at Cal State Northridge. They were able to set me up with an appointment for this Tuesday via Skype. (That's pretty awesome considering I live 7 hours away from the LA area.) Can anyone who has interviewed with CSUN give any tips for the interview, or perhaps let me know what kind of questions they asked you? Also, do they let you know if you get accepted if they like you after the interview? Any kind of help would be awesome! =)

Got a call today from a representative at Cal State Northridge. They were able to set me up with an appointment for this Tuesday via Skype. (That's pretty awesome considering I live 7 hours away from the LA area.) Can anyone who has interviewed with CSUN give any tips for the interview, or perhaps let me know what kind of questions they asked you? Also, do they let you know if you get accepted if they like you after the interview? Any kind of help would be awesome! =)

What?!?!?

They contacted me through email on April 5th saying that they wanted my availability to set up a phone interview and I still haven't heard from them!

Congrats though!

Lisbeth,

After reading the website, this is what it says "Students who participate in the Older Adult Fee Waiver Program, receive vocational rehabilitation stipends, are enrolled through Extended Education (Alcohol & Drug Certificate, Orthotics & Prosthetics Therapy, CSD, MSW, MSQA, NCRP, etc.), recipients of Cal Grant A or B and students whose fees are paid by another party are NOT eligible for a SUG Award"... Basically IF you are in the extended ed program you DO NOT qualify... It's not saying ALL MSW programs do not qualify.

Unfortunately, I do not qualify for SUG... :wacko: EFC is $800 or less.

Which program are you enrolled in? I am enrolled in the 2yr - Full Time program @ CSUDH... Don't forget class enrollment begins 4/24. :D :D :D :D

Hey, yeah that's what I was able to find and read myself as well. It's just a little confusing since it's listed as "MSW" not the "3 year MSWs", so it makes me wonder if they really did consider those of us in the 2 year programs with the correct EFC for the SUG or not. I'm sure I'm just worrying and they only meant the 3 year one, however they don't even list the 3 year MSW under the extended university site anywhere that I could find. I just became curious since I was offered the sug for SFSU, however knowing where dominguez hills is located (LA county) it's likely also that there simply were others with the same EFC (0 :wacko: I didn't work hardly at all last yr. while going to school for another field I didn't end up going into) but also have dependents etc. which adds to their need and therefore would get it before me! So I'll just have to make sure that they at least consider those of us in the 2 yr. programs.

Unfortunately, I do not qualify for SUG... :wacko: EFC is $800 or less.

Which program are you enrolled in? I am enrolled in the 2yr - Full Time program @ CSUDH... Don't forget class enrollment begins 4/24. :D :D :D :D

Hey yeah I'm in the 2 yr full time program as well, that's why I want to make sure that they considered me for the SUG. I'm assuming you meant that you don't qualify for it because your EFC is more than $800, right? And yeah I noticed that it says we can enroll on 4/24, so I called them like a week or two ago and asked if we're supposed to enroll in courses but Claudia said "no, you're going to get something in the mail that describes how and when to enroll in which courses". I'm not sure how we were supposed to know this, but I was like umm ok so don't enroll even though we can? And she said yup, but then I was like ok but will there be space for me still, I don't want to lose my choice of courses, but she still said no don't worry you'll get something in the mail and you don't enroll until after you've come to our orientation with the actual department. I'm not sure if you know which courses to enroll in or you're just using your packet that we got, but I'd call her yourself and see. I'm probably going to call again and tell her that it's a little confusing since some people might be enrolling while others don't.

Edited by Lisbeth

Hi SooperGLLY the interview was pretty short maybe 15-20 minutes max. They definitely read my application beforehand. They asked me questions specific to my background. Example, I work and went to school at UCLA and they asked why Northridge. They also asked about why I wanted to be a social worker. The second half of the interview was my questions for them. Be prepared to ask a least a few questions about the program or social work. I think this was just as important as the questions they asked me.

Hope this helps-

Hillary

Hey yeah I'm in the 2 yr full time program as well, that's why I want to make sure that they considered me for the SUG. I'm assuming you meant that you don't qualify for it because your EFC is more than $800, right? And yeah I noticed that it says we can enroll on 4/24, so I called them like a week or two ago and asked if we're supposed to enroll in courses but Claudia said "no, you're going to get something in the mail that describes how and when to enroll in which courses". I'm not sure how we were supposed to know this, but I was like umm ok so don't enroll even though we can? And she said yup, but then I was like ok but will there be space for me still, I don't want to lose my choice of courses, but she still said no don't worry you'll get something in the mail and you don't enroll until after you've come to our orientation with the actual department. I'm not sure if you know which courses to enroll in or you're just using your packet that we got, but I'd call her yourself and see. I'm probably going to call again and tell her that it's a little confusing since some people might be enrolling while others don't.

Ok, I just spoke to Claudia... She said yes, a letter will go out in May regarding orientation and the classes we are to register for. HOWEVER, if you like, you can register according to the class list online. I am going to register according to what I see online - no need to wait. Honestly, that letter should have gone out with our acceptance letter. I hope this is not a precursor of what is to come!

Ok, I just spoke to Claudia... She said yes, a letter will go out in May regarding orientation and the classes we are to register for. HOWEVER, if you like, you can register according to the class list online. I am going to register according to what I see online - no need to wait. Honestly, that letter should have gone out with our acceptance letter. I hope this is not a precursor of what is to come!

Hey, yeah I spoke with her again today as well. I was going to let you know the same thing because I pushed it this time and she was like well yes technically you can enroll now except for the seminar course because that course will be assigned to you and we don't know those yet. Plus when I spoke to the financial aid office today, they made it clear to me that the SUG awards haven't been awarded yet to anyone because at CSUDH they get decided on After people have enrolled for the semester, to see what type of courses you're taking. So I'll only be considered after I enroll. They couldn't tell me if waiting until May to enroll whether others would possibly be awarded it before me, but that I should enroll as soon as I can.

Just so I know, what online list are you speaking of when you said you'll follow the online class list? I think even though I'm waiting on SJSU CSULA (waitlisted) and SFSU, that I might as well enroll just in case...better safe than sorry! Plus they don't require a deposit of any kind to accept admittance which is nice. And yeah, that letter should already be to us if we're able to enroll tomorrow. Not that anyone will take our spots because they're only there for us, but in terms of financial aid stuff it should have been explained so we have the best chances.

I also called SJSU today just to confirm the last date we might hear by, and the admin assistant said May 29th. So then I asked if some of us will hear before then just to push the convo. along a little and she said oh yes and now they're starting to e-mail people as well. She didn't know anything about phone calls, but I know some have said on here they were called with good news. She then suggested that I could e-mail dr. goldman and let him know that I'm already having to enroll in another school soon and to ask abt. my application. However, personally I don't think this would help and I'm more worried it might be pushy and hurt me so I won't be doing that right now. I will be e-mailing on Friday though to ask if I've been reviewed yet because May 1st is the deadline for my bf to pay his $100 deposit to accept admission there, and it's just so expensive for him to be accepting 3 schools just because I don't know where I'm accepted/rejected.

I also called SJSU today just to confirm the last date we might hear by, and the admin assistant said May 29th. So then I asked if some of us will hear before then just to push the convo. along a little and she said oh yes and now they're starting to e-mail people as well. She didn't know anything about phone calls, but I know some have said on here they were called with good news. She then suggested that I could e-mail dr. goldman and let him know that I'm already having to enroll in another school soon and to ask abt. my application. However, personally I don't think this would help and I'm more worried it might be pushy and hurt me so I won't be doing that right now. I will be e-mailing on Friday though to ask if I've been reviewed yet because May 1st is the deadline for my bf to pay his $100 deposit to accept admission there, and it's just so expensive for him to be accepting 3 schools just because I don't know where I'm accepted/rejected.

Yeah, I hear you Lisbeth and I am sorry. Too bad these guys don't care. Just as they don't care that when they decide your financial award they base it on gross salary and not net.......by the time you pay for the bills and everything else you hardly have anything left to save even. It sucks, big time. I certainly hope we hear soon.....in the next few days.

I was in the same predicament, however I actually emailed Dr. Goldman to ask when we would be notified. He sent me an email back saying that I wouldn't be offered admission and "best of luck on my professional career"...... I don't understand how I didn't at least get waitlisted, am I wrong to think I am a competitive applicant because I was accepted to NYU? & my "mySJSU" still says my application is "referred to grad department" (pending review) so I'm wondering what's really going on...

I was in the same predicament, however I actually emailed Dr. Goldman to ask when we would be notified. He sent me an email back saying that I wouldn't be offered admission and "best of luck on my professional career"...... I don't understand how I didn't at least get waitlisted, am I wrong to think I am a competitive applicant because I was accepted to NYU? & my "mySJSU" still says my application is "referred to grad department" (pending review) so I'm wondering what's really going on...

When did you e-mail him, was this recently? I'm sorry to hear that's what his response was, that really sucks. That's kind of why I don't want to email him, I'd rather be rejected formally...well even if it's through e-mail at least it'd be them reaching out to me first. Although I'm sure SJSU has a list of applicants that they didn't offer admission to yet, and eventually will, I don't think they have a wait list in which we are notified that we've been waitlisted. My assumption comes from the fact that for instance CSULA sent me a formal letter informing me that I am waitlisted back in the first week of March, whereas I haven't heard of anyone being told they're waitlisted this year at SJSU but have heard people have been accepted...which leads me to believe that the only people who are getting in at this point are when others are rejecting their acceptances and then a spot becomes available. I could totally be wrong as all of this is kept pretty secret for each school. It is a little weird that he just told you like that though instead of saying that you've been reviewed and will know within the next two weeks, but then again you did ask and he simply answered. Keep in mind too though that the admin told me she didn't know how many people applied but her estimate was like 500, and 117 will be or have been accepted, but that's All concentrations together...like 3 concentrations of I dunno how many for their full time and then for the part time as well. I do know that public schools can sometimes be more competitive than private universities, especially now, because simply they cost less and more people have been applying so it becomes very competitive. Whereas private universities usually have more space because they don't depend nearly as much on public funding and can afford to accept more people and offer more financial aid to cover their higher costs. Don't be hard on yourself, I'm sure you're as great if not better an applicant than many, and MANY more great applicants will not get into their first choice public university this year, many people are applying to them in hopes to keep debt in check so we're fighting for those spots together :)

Edited by Lisbeth

Anyone receive anything from SFSU in the mail yet? Inspired by Lisbeth, I tried a different approach this time and asked the nice lady who answered the phone if there was any way I could find out if I was accepted into the MSW program or not. She gave me her well-rehearsed spiel again, except,this time with the new line that the admissions review committee were in the process of rounding up their reviews and will be sending out letters in the US Mail. She did say that they have been "periodically, sending out letters" but did not mention when they started doing that.

I certainly hope this program is worth the nail-biting wait!

Edited by nimo6211

Hi SooperGLLY the interview was pretty short maybe 15-20 minutes max. They definitely read my application beforehand. They asked me questions specific to my background. Example, I work and went to school at UCLA and they asked why Northridge. They also asked about why I wanted to be a social worker. The second half of the interview was my questions for them. Be prepared to ask a least a few questions about the program or social work. I think this was just as important as the questions they asked me.

Hope this helps-

Hillary

Thanks Hillary, that does help a lot! =)

And just to clarify, with you or anyone reading this. CSUN don't offer their courses on their campus, correct? It's only online or the three off-campus locations they have listed? Just want to make sure I'm reading that correctly.

EDIT: Whoops, I guess I was just on a different page on their website. I see that they have an on-campus program too! LOL mybad!

Edited by sooperGILLY