CSU's: Anyone accepted yet?

bounce

Anyone receive anything from SFSU in the mail yet? Inspired by Lisbeth, I tried a different approach this time and asked the nice lady who answered the phone if there was any way I could find out if I was accepted into the MSW program or not. She gave me her well-rehearsed spiel again, except,this time with the new line that the admissions review committee were in the process of rounding up their reviews and will be sending out letters in the US Mail. She did say that they have been "periodically, sending out letters" but did not mention when they started doing that.

I certainly hope this program is worth the nail-biting wait!

I also called SFSU today because I needed to find out if I'll be finding out before may 1st or if there was any way that I can. The woman said basically the same thing as you, and that they have to be done by the end of April (their deadline) and that some notifications have already gone out. I then stated that I'm just trying get any of the three schools to tell me before may 1st so my bf won't have to pay $100 for each and waste 200 bucks if I'm accepted to one, or possibly $300 to waste! I asked her if it comes to it and it's Monday April 30th and my notification hasn't made it to my house yet, could I just call up and find out so we don't have to waste the money if I'm not accepted since I know it's so competitive this year, and she told me I might be able to get the director of admissions to tell me. So, I'm just waiting until Monday which cuts it SO close...I hope I just get something in the mail before then! At least we'll all know within a week or so...depending on where you live.

Edited by Lisbeth

I also called SFSU today because I needed to find out if I'll be finding out before may 1st or if there was any way that I can. The woman said basically the same thing as you, and that they have to be done by the end of April (their deadline) and that some notifications have already gone out. I then stated that I'm just trying get any of the three schools to tell me before may 1st so my bf won't have to pay $100 for each and waste 200 bucks if I'm accepted to one, or possibly $300 to waste! I asked her if it comes to it and it's Monday April 30th and my notification hasn't made it to my house yet, could I just call up and find out so we don't have to waste the money if I'm not accepted since I know it's so competitive this year, and she told me I might be able to get the director of admissions to tell me. So, I'm just waiting until Monday which cuts it SO close...I hope I just get something in the mail before then! At least we'll all know within a week or so...depending on where you live.

I hear you. So sorry. I wish you all the very best. I live in Northern CA. So, if I am getting a letter, it should be soon :)

So as of now i'm 3 for 3 on getting accepted to different MSW programs. I have narrowed it down to CSULB and CSUN I'm somewhat torn and would like to hear some input from my future co-workers :). Which do you think is better and why taking into account that I would like to go into Medical Social Work.

Thanks

Question for those who applied to SJSU, you guys had the application due date by the end of Jan 2012 right?

I'm not applying for MSW, but seeing how this is the only real topic going on for SJSU online I thought I'd like to check otherwise.

I'm with the Sociology department and in the same boat as most of you waiting to hear back.

So as of now i'm 3 for 3 on getting accepted to different MSW programs. I have narrowed it down to CSULB and CSUN I'm somewhat torn and would like to hear some input from my future co-workers :). Which do you think is better and why taking into account that I would like to go into Medical Social Work.

Thanks

My suggestion would be to go with the program that works for you (logistically). I sometimes think we get caught up in the school and what we deem to be prestige or what have you. I know people that work as SW that attended CSULA, CSUDH, CSUN, CSULB... At this point, it's all about attending the school that suits your needs. I wanted to attend UCLA very bad. Honestly, having that UCLA stamp of approval on my resume and that lovely degree hanging next to my husband's UCI degree would have been fabulous. However, driving 1.5 hours/day ONE WAY, never seeing my kids or husband, stressing out because of the traffic on the slow-05... it really would not have been worth it. I selected the school that is less than five minutes from my home!

Basically, I am saying, do what works best for you... Trust, we will have enough inconvenience with the homework and tests... Might as well select a program in your comfort zone.

My 2 cents!

Hey everyone, since I may be the first one on here to know, I did Not get into SFSU. What a bummer, but it was pretty much anticipated to be this way anyways :(. (If you didn't read previously, I only know because I went out of my way to call and then find out who to email and only because I needed to know by May 1st to save $100 acceptance fee that my bf would be paying to go there for undergrad. So this saves us one of the three $100 deposits he might have had to pay and I explained this in my email so I think that's the only reason they were willing to tell me. )

In the e-mail I received, she let me know that their acceptance and denial letters are going out early next week. She also stated that she checked my score on their database, so everyone gets some type of score.

Good luck to the rest of you who still don't know, I'll keep my hopes up for you!!

And for anyone waiting for a reply from Sac State, they started sending out letters. I received mine yesterday, but was not admitted into their program. Sucks because I thought I'd get into their program since I got my bachelor's from there. =( Good luck to the rest of you waiting on word at Sac State!

Good for you may I ask when you turned in your application? I have received appectance letter from multiple school but I do like their program and don't wanna jump the gun only to find out I've been accepted. Best of luck to you

I'm sorry it took a while to respond. I turned in my application at the end of October of last year.

Hey everyone, since I may be the first one on here to know, I did Not get into SFSU. What a bummer, but it was pretty much anticipated to be this way anyways :(. (If you didn't read previously, I only know because I went out of my way to call and then find out who to email and only because I needed to know by May 1st to save $100 acceptance fee that my bf would be paying to go there for undergrad. So this saves us one of the three $100 deposits he might have had to pay and I explained this in my email so I think that's the only reason they were willing to tell me. )

In the e-mail I received, she let me know that their acceptance and denial letters are going out early next week. She also stated that she checked my score on their database, so everyone gets some type of score.

Good luck to the rest of you who still don't know, I'll keep my hopes up for you!!

Sorry to hear about your rejection to SFSU! I know the feeling, it is awful. I was wondering if you would mind sharing your stats? How much work experience did you have, and what was your GPA upon applying? I am extremely nervous, as I know their program is very competitive.

Awww.... so sorry to hear that but good luck on your other endeavors :) Thank you for the info.

Funny that I decided to e-mail the admissions director for SFSU today as I spoke of above, because right now I just checked my SFSU (it didn't say this earlier today) because the person above said theirs told them an answer, and sure enough it states this:

"After careful review of the application materials you have filed with the Office of Admissions, we regret to inform you that your application for admission to San Francisco State University has been denied. An official letter explaining the reason(s) for our decision will be or has been sent to you."

I just wonder what they mean when they say they will explain the reason(s) for their decision...I wonder if it will really say why, that'd be pretty neat if it's true, or funny if it's like "because your sh*t's weak" LOL

Edited by Lisbeth

And for anyone waiting for a reply from Sac State, they started sending out letters. I received mine yesterday, but was not admitted into their program. Sucks because I thought I'd get into their program since I got my bachelor's from there. =( Good luck to the rest of you waiting on word at Sac State!

Did the email come from Irma or graduate studies?

Edited by Sacstatehopeful

Did the email come from Irma or graduate studies?

I feel like I am going crazy here waiting to hear if I got in after being told I was waitlisted to my top school. I keep spinning about it. I think about it every day. Waiting is really hard. I know it will all work out in the end. If I don't get in this year I can just apply again next year. I can take more classes that count towards it, I can network better with people at the school, and I can be patient. It just sucks.

well i have not gotten a response yet from sac state. Im assuming Monday will be the day i get some type of decision. I feel like i will not get in due to my age (21) and the lack of experience (1 year with 2 internships in human services). But who knows what can happen.

For those who've interviewed with CSUN, what're some good questions to ask them if they ask for questions? I've been trying to think of some, but can't really figure anything out for some reason. I know it'd be good to ask questions, rather than say you don't have any. Can anyone suggest anything? Just thought I'd ask.

For those who've interviewed with CSUN, what're some good questions to ask them if they ask for questions? I've been trying to think of some, but can't really figure anything out for some reason. I know it'd be good to ask questions, rather than say you don't have any. Can anyone suggest anything? Just thought I'd ask.

I'm wondering the same thing! My interview is on Monday via Skype, Eeek!! I have never done one of those before. I'm thinking we should just ask about what kind of student they look for, how they want to improve the program, what makes a candidate grad student material in their eyes, etc.

I'm not too sure! Good luck! When is your interview?

Hey nemo6211 can't find your public post that i have in my email, where you wrote you feel my pain etc. but I was seriously just being humorous when I said what if they wrote "your shi*'s weak" lol I really do think that'd be great in a funny way. I'm not even that bummed surprisingly...I guess because SFSU was never my first choice and now I don't have to worry abt. their high living costs. I'm still stoked that I got into one school and am confident that I'll do whatever I end up doing regardless of where I go, so no big deal. I would have been really needing that consolidation if I got in no where though, I would literally hate to redo applying to MSW programs. I wouldn't mind applying to another type of program in the future, but to redo something again would piss me off, so if CSUDH likes me, I love them back!! lol

For the Northridge interview I asked about the LCSW process, demographics of CSUN social work student, job prospects for MSWs and what type of field placement I might get. Just ask about things you are curious about they are very friendly.

I hope this helps,

Hillary

Came from a lady named Maria Dinis. I guess she's a professor and part of the graduate admissions dept.

I had this lady for a class at CSUS...She is an idiot, and be thankful that you don't have to cross her path.

So I got rejected by SFSU. I had about a 3.0 GPA overall with decent GRE scores (including a 5.5 on my analytical writing portion), I can't remember if we were even required to submit those or not. I had good letters, and worked at a psychiatric office for over a year, paid internship. I applied to CSUN for their masters in sociology program, because I am a soc undergrad, and I got in there as well as SJSU for a masters in urban planning program. I liked these three areas of sociology, so I decided to give myself options. I am going to go to Northridge. I did think that an MSW program would have been great though. I enjoy working with people, and enjoyed that aspect of human services. I didn't know SF was so competitive when I applied. I thought moving to SF would be cool, and then later found out how hard it is to get in. In the end I am a little annoyed that it took them almost 6 months to tell me (and everyone else) that we were rejected. If their programs so "great" you would think that they could work harder on getting through the applications. I had decided that even if I was accepted I wouldn't go there because I needed to make a decision by the 1st, so I am not necessarily mad that I didn't get in, although I would like to have said I was one of the 17% or however low it is. I want to hear back from others who applied! Good luck everyone!

So I got rejected by SFSU. I had about a 3.0 GPA overall with decent GRE scores (including a 5.5 on my analytical writing portion), I can't remember if we were even required to submit those or not. I had good letters, and worked at a psychiatric office for over a year, paid internship. I applied to CSUN for their masters in sociology program, because I am a soc undergrad, and I got in there as well as SJSU for a masters in urban planning program. I liked these three areas of sociology, so I decided to give myself options. I am going to go to Northridge. I did think that an MSW program would have been great though. I enjoy working with people, and enjoyed that aspect of human services. I didn't know SF was so competitive when I applied. I thought moving to SF would be cool, and then later found out how hard it is to get in. In the end I am a little annoyed that it took them almost 6 months to tell me (and everyone else) that we were rejected. If their programs so "great" you would think that they could work harder on getting through the applications. I had decided that even if I was accepted I wouldn't go there because I needed to make a decision by the 1st, so I am not necessarily mad that I didn't get in, although I would like to have said I was one of the 17% or however low it is. I want to hear back from others who applied! Good luck everyone!

Hi: Nothing....my status remains "pending decision". SFSU did not require GRE. Even though your GPA helps, they weigh other factors as well. They also said in the instructions that 3.00 GPA is the minimum but it does not guarantee admission. I am sorry you got a negative response, but glad you have other alternatives. Good luck.