Waiting it out: theatre, performance, cinema PhD want-to-be 2012

Bats

ive applied for 9 programs but i really dont know where i stand. i am 35, with bushels of experience making work, performing, and teaching. my recs and statements are bold and strong. i worry about my antique undergrad GPA (3.24) and my 5 year old unpracticed-for GRE score (560/780/4.5).

who do i even think i am applying for these schools, for applying to Brown and Stanford and UCLA and Northwestern and Berkeley.... but sometimes i think i am definitely going to get it. i've done so much, i've proven myself!

essentially, i am lost. i have no clue.

anybody else? any insight?

other worries or relaxing?

There are not many PhD applicants for theater/Performance/Drama on this site, though cinema studies gets many of them. In fact, yours is the first one I have seen in performing arts PhD - most of them seem to go for Masters.

Cinema stream may be tough, but I feel you have a fair chance in theater/performing arts.

What matters here is whether your profile fits their strengths. Some schools emphasize upon the applied aspects of theater more, some emphasize more on theory, critical studies and history, while others try to have a balance between the two.

I had looked at the Northwestern statistics and they seem to get about 50 applications for 2-3 slots. They emphasize a balance between practice and theory.

So, what matters is what kind of experience you have and what you want to do there.

Edited by Seeking

I am applying in Performance Studies (mostly PhDs), broadly speaking. Although only one or two actual performance studies programs, as my work lies between dance studies, philosophy and critical theory, and cinema studies.

I am also worried... as I think most of us are at this point in the process. It's really difficult to know where one stands! In my case, wanting to work on dance is a bit tricky, for all sorts of reasons.

I did notice that certain departments (Brown in particular) really emphasize that work outside of academics is important, so if your writing is also strong then I'm sure you'll have great chances!

I did notice that certain departments (Brown in particular) really emphasize that work outside of academics is important, so if your writing is also strong then I'm sure you'll have great chances!

I hope you guys are right! Thanks for the hopefulness.

Edited by Bats

Yeah, UCI Drama accepts TWO people. It's insane, but if you are allowed in you know it will be a stellar experience and job prospects after will be better. It doesn't bode well for self-esteem during the application process, and there is no commiseration potential on a forum as such! Boooooo

BreathingSister,

You are right. Perhaps the Drama/Performance studies applicants feel so left out that they are more of lurkers than participants on this forum. Past years' results show about 10-12 results submissions a year. But there are not that many posts from them on the forum.

I do hope you get into your dream program! Good luck!

Edited by Seeking

Statistics so far -

Vanderbilt - Accepted (American)

Brown - Interview (Result not known) (International)

Berkeley - Accepted (American)

Anyone here got any of the above communications? Accepted the offer?

Edited by Seeking

I posted about the interview at Brown! I was contacted by the department coordinator on Friday in order to set up an interview over Skype with the graduate program and department directors. I don't have any info on how many interviews they are conducting or how the process works, sadly.

I posted about the interview at Brown! I was contacted by the department coordinator on Friday in order to set up an interview over Skype with the graduate program and department directors. I don't have any info on how many interviews they are conducting or how the process works, sadly.

Which program is this for? Modern Culture and Media? Or something else?

Hey all,

so nice to see more perf studies people on here! Judging from the forum posts, you'd think none of us used this site. Here are my stats:

Berkeley: Accepted

UCLA: Accepted

Brown: scheduled for interview 1/30

Stanford: scheduled for interview in feb

i'm guessing the northwestern boat has sailed, since I havent been contacted for an interview yet and it sounds like others have.

Does anyone have any insight into the NYU process? Although officially they accept people who dont have MA's from Tisch, all their current students appear to have them. Someone told me it's basically impossible to get into the PhD if you havent got the Tisch MA.

Have people heard similar rumors? I don't want to scare anyone. I may have completely wrong information. But if anyone could provide some clarity that would certainly be appreciated.

Solidarity and sleeplessness...

Congrats, Clifford! You will certainly have your choice of programs!

I heard the same rumour about Tisch, and so naturally, I neurotically looked at the background of every single PhD student listed on the website (even though I'm only applying to the MA). It seems to be true: only TWO out of the many PhD candidates have MAs from outside programs. So it seems that it is possible, but not likely, to get an offer without a Tisch MA.

Clifford, do you mind sharing what your research interests are (by PM perhaps, if you don't feel comfortable posting them publicly)? It seems we have Brown and Tisch in common. And best of luck on Monday's interview with Brown, which I am also awaiting with a combination of excitement and dread (but mostly just excitement)! Which faculty at Brown are you particularly interested in working with?

Tillium,

Congrats for your acceptance and good luck for other schools!

Clifford,

Congrats for Berkeley and UCLA and good luck for your coming interviews!

It would be nice if we update our status here for others to know and it would be really nice to hear from others as well, who have not yet come on board.

We still don't know who got the interview from Northwestern. I posted earlier to ask if anyone got that interview, but so far no info.

Edited by Seeking

Hi everyone,

glad to find some other theatre scholars in the forum. I'm finishing up my MA at Brooklyn College and waiting for decisions from five PhD programs. I've applied to Pitt, UT Austin, UC Santa Barbara, University of Maryland, and University of Washington.

Waiting is killing me. I'm spending more time checking my email than working on the first draft of my thesis which is due in a week. Good luck to everyone...

Dan