Waiting it out: theatre, performance, cinema PhD want-to-be 2012

Bats

Waiting is killing me. I'm spending more time checking my email than working on the first draft of my thesis which is due in a week. Good luck to everyone...

Not a Theatre/Performance PhD person--hopeful future film studies/lit person--but I had to jump in say that this is my EXACT situation. First two chapters of my MA thesis are due on Tuesday and I've definitely logged in more hours here than on my poor, poor neglected Ch. 1. (Thankfully used the other chapter as a writing sample so that's in better shape.)

I have a feeling it's only going to get worse too. Let me know if you find a way to shift our focus back to where it should be! : )

What film programs have people applied to?

I applied to Brown MCM, UChicago, Berkeley Rhetoric, and Yale (joint with American).

Congrats to those accepted! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

What film programs have people applied to?

I applied to Brown MCM, UChicago, Berkeley Rhetoric, and Yale (joint with American).

Congrats to those accepted! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

We overlap in all of them. :) Except I'm joint with Comp. Lit. for Yale. What is your general applicant profile/research interests?

Clarification -

I posted the statistics from the results survey on this thread to ask if anyone from this forum had got the Brown interview, Berkeley acceptance and the Northwestern interview call.

This was because at that juncture, we didn't know if anyone from this forum had posted them on the results survey.

This has led some members to think that I might have got those interview calls and/or acceptances.

I would like to clarify that I am not an applicant for any of these programs. I am sorry for any confusion my posts created earlier.

Edited by Seeking

Another update -

1) Northwestern - Screen Cultures PhD - Interview on 28th of Jan (American), recruiting between March 1st-4th

2) Northwestern - Screen Cultures PhD - Invited for Interview 27h of Jan, recuiting between 1st-4th of March

(Again, I didn't apply for this program, please don't misread!)

Did anyone on this forum have these interviews?

Edited by Seeking

Thanks to Seeking for telling me about this thread! It's nice to see that there are at least some Theatre/Performance Studies people here.

I'm not actually "Waiting it out" right now, as I'm currently in my first year of my MA in Theatre History. I am, however, shopping around for potential PhD places for Fall 2013, and I was hoping to get some insight on a few schools.

Right now I'm looking at:

Univ. of Oregon

Univ. of Washington

Univ. of Pittsburgh

Univ. of Colorado - Boulder

Univ. of British Columbia

Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Tufts

I'm looking for programs that combine theatre research/history/crit/theory with practical aspects (i.e. I love directing and dramaturgy, and I'd like to be able to do so while working on my research). I'm really trying to stay away from programs that discourage (or even forbid!) their PhDs from doing any practical work while they're *supposed* to be studying.

Two questions: (1) does anyone here know anything about these programs, and (2) if I want to work in the U.S. ultimately, is it a COMPLETELY bad idea to get a PhD in Canada? UBC was highly recommended to me, but I'm concerned about whether or not employers in the U.S. would be as willing to hire someone with a Canadian PhD. Thoughts?

Thanks! And good luck to everyone who's still waiting...

Thanks, Vicki.

As for UBC, I think if you follow it up with a research-performing/Directing-teaching Postdoc in the US, you should do fine in a US job.

I have not applied for any of the schools above, but those who applied, perhaps can discuss some of the points that led them to apply here. If there are some who decided not to apply there, can perhaps tell us why they didn't apply there.

Meanwhile Vicki, perhaps you can tell us what makes you select these programs.

This can be a good "Waiting out on Performance/Theatre" discussion.

Edited by Seeking

If it is helpful to anyone, I applied to the UCSD end of the joint doctoral program with UCI. I was contacted last week to come in this coming Thursday for an interview.

We shall see what happens.

If it is helpful to anyone, I applied to the UCSD end of the joint doctoral program with UCI. I was contacted last week to come in this coming Thursday for an interview.

We shall see what happens.

I applied to the UCI end! Congrats!!

Thanks to Seeking for telling me about this thread! It's nice to see that there are at least some Theatre/Performance Studies people here.

I'm not actually "Waiting it out" right now, as I'm currently in my first year of my MA in Theatre History. I am, however, shopping around for potential PhD places for Fall 2013, and I was hoping to get some insight on a few schools.

Right now I'm looking at:

Univ. of Oregon

Univ. of Washington

Univ. of Pittsburgh

Univ. of Colorado - Boulder

Univ. of British Columbia

Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Tufts

I'm looking for programs that combine theatre research/history/crit/theory with practical aspects (i.e. I love directing and dramaturgy, and I'd like to be able to do so while working on my research). I'm really trying to stay away from programs that discourage (or even forbid!) their PhDs from doing any practical work while they're *supposed* to be studying.

Two questions: (1) does anyone here know anything about these programs, and (2) if I want to work in the U.S. ultimately, is it a COMPLETELY bad idea to get a PhD in Canada? UBC was highly recommended to me, but I'm concerned about whether or not employers in the U.S. would be as willing to hire someone with a Canadian PhD. Thoughts?

Thanks! And good luck to everyone who's still waiting...

The UCI-UCSD program is worth looking into if this is what you want! I applied to Canada and intend to come back to America to work, didn't see a problem with it. I could be wrong.

The UCI-UCSD program is worth looking into if this is what you want! I applied to Canada and intend to come back to America to work, didn't see a problem with it. I could be wrong.

I went to UCI for my undergrad studies in Drama. It is a really good program, but I don't really want to go back to CA. :-)

Thanks for the info!

Quick update on the programs I'm entertaining at the moment. I'm basically choosing programs that back up your academic studies with at least SOME form of practical theatre. I know some programs don't allow you to do practical work (i.e. directing/dramaturgy). I think it's important to do the practical aspects because most often faculty positions consist of some directing. I also want to continue doing contracted dramaturgy after PhD. So as for these schools:

Univ. of Oregon - they have a good mix; a broad range of classes for theory/crit/history, you get to teach a variety of classes as a TA (not just Theatre 101), and you get to direct a mainstage show

Univ. of Washington - I'm actually reconsidering this one. It looks like they don't really want you to do much practical work. This might be a no for me.

Univ. of Pittsburgh - In addition to your studies, you have to choose a "practical specialty," which can be directing, dramaturgy, design, etc. And you take classes towards that as well as your regular classes. It's kind of like a minor.

Univ. of Colorado - Boulder - Boulder was recommended to me by my good friend. I haven't read a lot about it yet, but their site says there are opportunities in practical work that can be applied to the degree. I need to email someone over there and get more info.

Univ. of British Columbia - UBC was recommended to me by that same friend. I don't know much about the program, actually, but their site does say they incorporate theory with practice.

Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign - this is where I am now, and I like it. I want to keep options open though.

Tufts - they are one of the most respected schools for a Drama PhD. Like Pitt, Tufts wants their students to select a practical specialty, specifically directing

If anyone has more info on these schools, please let me know. Also, if you have questions about UIUC (and to an extent UCI) let me know, and I'll see if I can answer them! Thanks again!

BreathingSister,

Have you heard anything out of UCI? I thought about applying there too, and I may next year if I don't get into the UCSD side.

No I haven't yet. The application deadline was the 15th so I would assume that the adcoms are just now starting to look at apps and maybe by/throughout March decisions will be made.

More results submissions -

UCSB waitlisted - dan0075 has claimed it on another thread.

Brown interview (American) - One person has claimed it.

Northwestern - Performance Studies PhD Interview - No one has claimed it so far.

Q -

1) Would anyone like to claim the Northwestern interview above?

2) Has anyone heard from the Northwestern Interdisciplinary Theatre PhD program yet?

Edited by Seeking

Thanks everyone for your congratulations and support! Here are my developments:

Brown: Interviewed on Monday, awaiting results

Northwestern: Rejected

Berkeley: Accepted

UCLA: Accepted

Stanford: Interview Scheduled

NYU: no word yet

Best of luck to everyone!

Clifford,

Good luck for Brown and Stanford!

Don't worry about NW - you have 2 acceptances and there is hope you'll get Brow and Stanford as well.

Would you like to tell us about your Brown interview? What kind of questions did they ask and how id it go?

Thanks for your encouragement, Seeking. I am totally thrilled with the acceptances. It is already more than I'd hoped for!

In terms of the Brown interview, they asked one question about my general interest in Brown and about 5 other questions directly related to my research proposal. They basically wanted me to flesh out the proposal, and to see how I would respond to potential challenges (ie. how does your research relate to such and such branch of performance theory). The whole process was quick and to the point.

Seriously. I never would have thought that my perception of time could change so dramatically based on this stuff.

Regardless, I still haven't heard a thing from any of my schools.

One good interview, but nothing solid, and otherwise, total silence. I have great envy for Clifford - it must be nice to have heard back from nearly everyone! Congratulations on your successes.

Edited by Bats

Bats,

Would you like to share about your Brown interview? Were you also asked about performance theory?

Clifford is certainly lucky, but let's not lose hope. Gradually, we'll also hear from the schools. Though how gradually is a matter of debate! :)