Waiting it out: theatre, performance, cinema PhD want-to-be 2012

Bats

Congrats to everyone who has made it into their school of choice.

My question:

I applied to NYU's MA Performance Studies program and have NOT heard anything. I know some acceptances just went out...Do you think they do rolling admissions, or is it a really bad sign that I haven't heard anything yet...?

Thanks all :) and best of luck to everyone.

I applied to CUNY-Brooklyn for MA in Theatre History & Criticism. I received an e-mail from the head asking for my supplementary materials, saying they were going to start reviewing applications in early March.

Congrats to everyone who has made it into their school of choice.

My question:

I applied to NYU's MA Performance Studies program and have NOT heard anything. I know some acceptances just went out...Do you think they do rolling admissions, or is it a really bad sign that I haven't heard anything yet...?

Thanks all :) and best of luck to everyone.

Mine came at the end of the day on Friday, so it seems reasonable that there's still more to come!

diermh,

I contacted the UCI Drama department today and he said that committee members will contact who they're interested in for interviews by late February, otherwise "official letters" (meaning rejections) will be sent out in late March/early April. Perhaps the two schools are on similar timelines?

That could very well be. When I interviewed a couple of weeks ago at UCSD, I was told they'd be interviewing for the next few weeks, and that decisions would be going out shortly after that. I suppose (taking them at their word) that would place UCSD's admissions notifications at early to mid-March, but I can't say for sure.

Ok, so finally I got a rejection email from Northwestern IPTD. I long expected it.

Perhaps shows what's in store for me in future as well.

I must compliment Northwestern for the very thoughtful and kind email.

Edited by Seeking

So I've just stumbled across this forum, and am a wild mix of emotions right now.

I have to ask, has anyone heard acceptance/interview from Northwestern IPTD?? Seeking, yours is the only answer I've been able to confirm and I have heard nothing at this point. Not sure what to think

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide

Ok, I have this huge dilemma, folks. I know it's not a bad dilemma to have, but I am really worried about this. I am so afraid I am going to make the wrong decision and then second guess myself every second of the day after I can't turn back and change my mind. I have three schools from which to choose. School #1 is giving me a 12k assistantship for 3 fully committed years, and I loved every single faculty member there and the grad students all seemed genuinely happy. There is also major opportunity for practical work and research with one the biggest up and coming scholars in the field. However, the school isn't as highly reputable as the other two and is rural. School #2 is commiting 20k for 4 years and is very highly regarded as a top research institution. However, the grad students did not seem very happy and there was no opportunity for practical work. On the other hand, it is in an amazing location at the epicenter of research in my field. School #3 is commiting 16k for three years and 14k for an additional two years. It is also a highly regarded research institution with a single faculty member who inspires me to no end. I am a fan boy of his. There is also a practical/specialty requirement built into the degree. However, it is in an isolated city and I am not super excited about the coursework options. RECOMMENDATIONS?!

Hey OutThere - I know that all the interview invitations have all been sent out for NW IPTD. But I have also received a formal rejection from them, like Seeking. The fact that you've heard nothing leads me to believe that you are maybe on the waiting list. Good luck.

salvatura - that's a tough one. For some reason, I like the idea of School #1. If you really love all the faculty and the students all seem genuinely happy, AND you'll be able to keep up your creative practice - what could be better? At any rate, when I read your message, I get the feeling that it's where you really want to go. If I were you, my second choice would be School #3, just based on the built-in practical requirement. But... what do I know?!

Bats, I hope you don't feel too bad about NW IPTD, since you have got some great offers!

Just for the benefit of other applicants here -

Would anyone like to claim the Columbia Theatre PhD rejection on the results page?

Perhaps I should stop listening to sad music for the time being - it seems to be affecting me.

Hi Seeking,

The Columbia rejection was mine. I'm not totally surprised about the rejection for many reasons, and honestly, I'm just excited to know at this point rather than continuing to wait on another app! I was the one asking a bit ago if anyone else had applied there. I don't think many folks on here did since I didn't get any responses.

Best of luck to all!

Ok, I have this huge dilemma, folks. I know it's not a bad dilemma to have, but I am really worried about this. I am so afraid I am going to make the wrong decision and then second guess myself every second of the day after I can't turn back and change my mind. I have three schools from which to choose. School #1 is giving me a 12k assistantship for 3 fully committed years, and I loved every single faculty member there and the grad students all seemed genuinely happy. There is also major opportunity for practical work and research with one the biggest up and coming scholars in the field. However, the school isn't as highly reputable as the other two and is rural. School #2 is commiting 20k for 4 years and is very highly regarded as a top research institution. However, the grad students did not seem very happy and there was no opportunity for practical work. On the other hand, it is in an amazing location at the epicenter of research in my field. School #3 is commiting 16k for three years and 14k for an additional two years. It is also a highly regarded research institution with a single faculty member who inspires me to no end. I am a fan boy of his. There is also a practical/specialty requirement built into the degree. However, it is in an isolated city and I am not super excited about the coursework options. RECOMMENDATIONS?!

Hey Salvatura--I am inclined to agree with Bats. Having visiting a few programs, I am starting to feel like this happiness quotient is the number one most important factor. Grad school can be a grueling, demoralizing, uphill journey. I think it's impt to surround yourself with people who are committed and passionate and remind you why you are doing this in the first place. On the other hand, it's nice to have spending money. Just do what my father recommended to me long ago. Relax. Ask yourself the question. Whatever comes to your mind first is your answer :).

Drocket,

It is quite uplifting to see you keeping a brave and positive front about it.

I see you have one admit and good luck for the ones you are waiting on!

You're right, it is quite intriguing to see that not many people seem to have applied to a school like Columbia for Theatre PhD!

Drocket,

It is quite uplifting to see you keeping a brave and positive front about it.

I see you have one admit and good luck for the ones you are waiting on!

You're right, it is quite intriguing to see that not many people seem to have applied to a school like Columbia for Theatre PhD!

Thanks, Seeking. I'm trying! :)

The one program I've been accepted to involves unclear funding, so I'm just hoping for one more with guaranteed funding so that I don't have to worry! Best of luck to you!

Hello friends! I just wanted to update you all on my status. After much careful deliberation and advice from respected colleagues in the field (including the Professor of Interest of one of the rejected schools), I accepted the very impressive offer from University of Pittsburgh to be an Irvis Fellow in my pursuit of the PhD in Theatre and Performance Studies with graduate certificate in Cultural Studies. I am super excited!