Waiting it out: theatre, performance, cinema PhD want-to-be 2012

Bats

Hi All,

I received an email note Friday night from UCSD stating that I was in. The faculty member said that funding was still up in the air, however.

Still, I'm excited. Here's to the next step!

I have yet to encounter anyone on this site applying for either the MA or Ph.D department at UToronto, but after sending an email about two weeks ago I got an e-mail back this morning that said:

"Hi, Eleanor.

Yes, we received a full application package from you. We hope to have our invitations distributed by email by the end of this week.

Take care,

Bruce"

I feel like this means I didn't get in. Don't most people who get accepted basically get "unofficial" words of acceptance from the grad coordinator when they ask if everything went through and when they'll receive notice?

Pretty bummed. Really would love to move to Toronto.

I have yet to encounter anyone on this site applying for either the MA or Ph.D department at UToronto, but after sending an email about two weeks ago I got an e-mail back this morning that said:

"Hi, Eleanor.

Yes, we received a full application package from you. We hope to have our invitations distributed by email by the end of this week.

Take care,

Bruce"

I feel like this means I didn't get in. Don't most people who get accepted basically get "unofficial" words of acceptance from the grad coordinator when they ask if everything went through and when they'll receive notice?

Pretty bummed. Really would love to move to Toronto.

Hey Eleanor,

I actually applied to the U of Toronto phd program as well. I think it's a reach for me as far as overlap between POIs research and my research, but it looked like such a great program that I had to apply. I don't know how notification typically goes from U of Toronto because there isn't much posted on here from previous years. So, I'd say yes, it's typical for admitted applicants to receive word in advance, but the fact that he mentions "invitations" implies (to me) that they haven't extended advanced notices yet. But who knows? At least we have a timeline and know it will be via email rather than snail mail! Best of luck to you!

drocket--

Thanks for replying! I'm just applying to the MA program right now as they said they aren't accepting applicants without MAs to their PhD programs anymore. Where did you get your MA/what is it in? Hah, considering you are also applying to American Studies programs I guess there would be some reach at a Canadian school for some of your interests. What are you looking to focus on? I'm interested in women's phenomenologies in contemporary theatre, particularly the avant-garde. And some other stuff, but that's what I highlighted in my SOP.

I suppose it is good to have a timeline now, but man, I'm kinda glad he didn't get back to me on Monday! One less day to agonize.

Hey Coiny,

I too received a congratulation email message from Austin on Tuesday,alone with an enclosed letter saying that I had been accepted.

Hey drocket,

Last time I heard from UC Davis was four weeks ago when they contacted me regarding my transcripts. I don't know what's going on.

Hey drocket and Clown,

Congrats on your acceptance! I just got an email from Austin saying that I'm on the wait list and there is still possibility I'll be accepted if any of the admitted decided not going. So, just wondering is Austin your top choice and will you be attending the program for sure? Thanks!

Hey drocket and Clown,

Congrats on your acceptance! I just got an email from Austin saying that I'm on the wait list and there is still possibility I'll be accepted if any of the admitted decided not going. So, just wondering is Austin your top choice and will you be attending the program for sure? Thanks!

Hey Coiny,

It's in my top three, of which I'm still waiting to hear from one... And I'm waiting on funding info which certainly matters in my decision making. I am really excited about it and will make a decision ASAP as I know there are people waiting. Best of luck and I'll let you know more when I do!

Hey drocket,

Last time I heard from UC Davis was four weeks ago when they contacted me regarding my transcripts. I don't know what's going on.

Strange!

I had the same contact with them about 4-5 weeks ago. it was confusing and I actually had to re-send them one of my transcripts and got zero communication until 3 days ago that they'd received it. Hopefully we'll hear more soon!

Clown and Drocket

Sorry I'm late to the game, but I just stumbled onto this forum. I was accepted for the PPP program as well. I had a discussion with one of the faculty about finances. It sounds like $5400/semester and partial tuition. The remainder is approximately $1500 for fees and such. The TA would be a 50% appointment. However, this is tentative because they have to wait on the legislature to approve the state budget. Please let me know if you hear anything different. UT is my top choice, but I have a family so money will play into my decision. I also applied to Northwestern (rejected), LSU (accepted), and University of Washington (still waiting).

• 2 weeks later...