Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

me: Yea, the job market isn't too good for English PhDs.

friend: Well, at least you can always teach. That's a plus.

me: (confused as to what they thought I meant by "job market")

you silly bean! Teaching isn't part of the job market ... teachers are just random people the plop in front of kids w/no formal training whatsoever!

me: (With a big smile) I got into Wisconsin!!!

them: Wis? What? Is it in Eroupe?!!!

me: No! (and I walk away...)

that person just proved the point I was making to Stately Plump about teachers

LOVE the comic above hahaha!

When I tell people I'm worried and nervous about not getting in anywhere, they answer back "It's not a big deal, you'll save money not going to school"

Yeah, my dreams will be crushed and I'll have no idea what to do with my life...but hey! I'll save some money ;) lol

At my local megamart, the beer from Wisconsin is shelved among the imports. Go figure.

have you heard people from that part of the world speak? They are basically foreigners if you ask me

have you heard people from that part of the world speak? They are basically foreigners if you ask me

My husband laughs at my Sconnie accent. Apparently i'm accent-less until my parents call, and then i slip immediately into, "Oh YAH, Mum, we hadda big snowstorm here, don'tcha know. Them neighbors upstairs got snoooooowed in. Uff-da!" You can take the girl off the farm, as someone said...

My husband laughs at my Sconnie accent. Apparently i'm accent-less until my parents call, and then i slip immediately into, "Oh YAH, Mum, we hadda big snowstorm here, don'tcha know. Them neighbors upstairs got snoooooowed in. Uff-da!" You can take the girl off the farm, as someone said...

but once she is engaged in a telephonic conversation, she returns to her native tongue?

Hahaha. It's not uncommon. I have an American accent throughout the day, and then some British accents dot my conversation when I talk to old family friends (especially my "not"s and "don't"s), and extra heavy dose of Chinglish with my parents. My SO says it's obvious who I talk to on the phone the way my accents change. :D

The only accent I ever picked up was visiting family in Houston. Apparently my speech tuned into hillbilly in a week... "what's y'all doin'? I pick it up instantly on the phone. It's kinda hilarious.

The only accent I ever picked up was visiting family in Houston. Apparently my speech tuned into hillbilly in a week... "what's y'all doin'? I pick it up instantly on the phone. It's kinda hilarious.

1. "Y'all" is a southern term

2. Technically it isn't "hill billy" it is either Appalachian-Americans, Mountainous-Americans or regional variants

3. Houston? That's more of a Texan twang, distinct onto itself

4. If anyone says Texas is the south, is a damn liar! Oh and deserves to be shot

5. Accents are the best when they are clearly phony

Haha, that's a long list of corrections. Let me address them one by one.

1. "Y'all" is a southern term

It's also ubiquitous in Houston. This plays into number 4 below.

2. Technically it isn't "hill billy" it is either Appalachian-Americans, Mountainous-Americans or regional variants

Fair enough. However, my family told me they were turning me hillbilly (with pride, I might add).

It is definitely different than the weirdness that comes out of the mouths of my Georgian friends.

4. If anyone says Texas is the south, is a damn liar! Oh and deserves to be shot

That depends on which Texan you ask, they're either Southern (sometimes), their own damned country (usually), or both (often).

5. Accents are the best when they are clearly phony

Agreed. :lol:

It is definitely different than the weirdness that comes out of the mouths of my Georgian friends.

That depends on which Texan you ask, they're either Southern (sometimes), their own damned country (usually), or both (often).

My Texan SO says Texas is not "southern"; it's Texas.

As insufferable as those miserable beings who inhabit that state are, there is one thing I will never challenge a Texan on and that is state pride. They are Texans first and foremost, anything else next. Who else celebrates a phony independence day besides them? That's right Texans, I called your holiday malarkey! In the parlance of the streets ... shots fired

lol I get the whole "wait.. you want to live on the west coast? Isn't that really far?" thing too, even from people I don't see that often (or really care enough about to consider staying for).

Whenever i tell people my program, they go "but... I mean I guess you don't need that degree?" or "well you an always do law after".

The best is when I worry a bit about getting in or not, and people go "well you can always apply again next year, it's easy". Applying was more stressful than this waiting part.

As insufferable as those miserable beings who inhabit that state are, there is one thing I will never challenge a Texan on and that is state pride. They are Texans first and foremost, anything else next. Who else celebrates a phony independence day besides them? That's right Texans, I called your holiday malarkey! In the parlance of the streets ... shots fired

Despite the inclinations of my personal biases, I don't actually find that Texans are, on average, any more "miserable" than people from other places

Concerning "independence," any celebration of the decentralization of hegemony (racist history or not) is a plus in my book.

"You need to stop checking your e-mail so much. Seriously. It's just crazy."

THIS. I get this from everyone all the time. Also, I was accepted to U Toledo for social psychology as well. If you interviewed on a Friday, we probably met one another. :)

"How much did it cost to apply to ALL those schools? Seems like a waste of money."

"You need to stop checking your e-mail so much. Seriously. It's just crazy."

"You applied to 12 schools?! It can't be that hard to get in."

your wrists must be tired from slapping so many people :(