Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

I got tired of people acting so aghast that my partner was willing to make the move with me. "Are you sure he wants to do that? What about his job? Does he want you to go so far?"

As though we hadn't discussed these things prior to applying.

...perhaps people aren't used to a marriage with good communication and mutual support?

My partner and I have been together for almost 5 years and it's kinda interesting who assumes we obviously going to move together if/when we get in (we are both applying to different programs in corresponding locations)- and who... doesn't.

For instance my brother assumes we will move together, her aunt assumes we will only if convenient for school, and one of my coworkers assumed she would give up her education for mine (since my goal is PhD and hers is Masters). Shrugs, I am not sure if it means anything in a deep psychological sense, but eh I gotta amuse myself somehow.

"So you're basically going to school to hang out in the woods and play with animals."

Basically. But there'll be some other stuff too. Some not so fun stuff, unfortunately.

folks are clearly jealous ... you're obviously gonna be living the good life!

People are jealous! One person told me, "You know, professors don't make any money" when I told her grad school news. More like Sh*tty things people say when applying to grad school!

One person told me, "You know, professors don't make any money" when I told her grad school news.

Except that they do. It just takes a while.

Older friend: "So are you done after May"

Me: "That depends on what happens with grad school, could be another 5-6 years.

Older friend: "I think you're just a professional student"

Ahh yes, my dream of frantically obsessing over exams, homework, and term papers for the rest of my life is slowly being realized. Also, die in a fire.

Ahh yes, my dream of frantically obsessing over exams, homework, and term papers for the rest of my life is slowly being realized. Also, die in a fire.

I want to get that put on a shirt and business cards for when people accuse me of wanting to be a professional student

I keep forgetting that I'll still be a student! I keep thinking of grad school more as a job (which it is), and thinking of all the research and TAing, but I forget that I'll be taking courses for a few years. I am looking forward to my coursework (I think). But now that I'll be getting paid instead of paying, I'm viewing it differently.

Haha. I think there's some truth to that actually. Even though many people think attending grad school means delaying real life and a real job and whatnot, they are often intrigued by the idea once they hear some actual details. I think the research conducted in my field often interests outdoorsy people, for example.

I love my mom and she's been perfectly ecstatic and amazing during the whole process. But I found one thing she said particularly funny.

After jumping around excitedly for some time after I told her about my acceptance letter from CMU, she asked me "Are you sure it's not a ruse?"

I live outside the US and she's always believed that invitations from far away places are hoaxes to lure you in a trap, mug you and leave you broke or dead.

BTW new one:

Friend: you got into an ivy league school!

Me: Well true BUT I am not getting a lot of money from them

Friend: Let me repeat YOU GOT INTO AN IVY LEAGUE school

Me: Sure, it sounds great bu ...

Friend: How did you get into an Ivy league school? B/C apparently you aren't that bright if you aren't going there

More variety of people this time:

Wow, have you seen how much stipend money school X gives? Man, some of us have to work for a living.

I hope you don't get accepted there, it's too far away and the cat will miss you. I heard a student got murdered in the dorms there.

That's school's stupid if they don't accept you. You're just right for them since they're ranked 109th in that program. School X that you got rejected was too good for you, they know you're not bright enough.

You're going to be in school forever, avoiding responsibilities like a loser. (And what about that year off sitting around at home filing job applications and sleeping the rest of the tme? That's so much progress and being independent right?)

More variety of people this time:

Wow, have you seen how much stipend money school X gives? Man, some of us have to work for a living.

I hope you don't get accepted there, it's too far away and the cat will miss you. I heard a student got murdered in the dorms there.

That's school's stupid if they don't accept you. You're just right for them since they're ranked 109th in that program. School X that you got rejected was too good for you, they know you're not bright enough.

You're going to be in school forever, avoiding responsibilities like a loser. (And what about that year off sitting around at home filing job applications and sleeping the rest of the tme? That's so much progress and being independent right?)

People actually say these things? :blink: Even if you're paraphrasing, they're terrible! Although I have to admit to laughing a bit at the second one, about the cat and the murder, just because it's quite a combination. That one sounds like something a mom might say!

Except that they do. It just takes a while. Older friend: "So are you done after May" Me: "That depends on what happens with grad school, could be another 5-6 years. Older friend: "I think you're just a professional student" Ahh yes, my dream of frantically obsessing over exams, homework, and term papers for the rest of my life is slowly being realized. Also, die in a fire.

I want to get that put on a shirt and business cards for when people accuse me of wanting to be a professional student

I wish I could be a professional student. That would be cool...

I love my mom and she's been perfectly ecstatic and amazing during the whole process. But I found one thing she said particularly funny. After jumping around excitedly for some time after I told her about my acceptance letter from CMU, she asked me "Are you sure it's not a ruse?" I live outside the US and she's always believed that invitations from far away places are hoaxes to lure you in a trap, mug you and leave you broke or dead.

B) Nice

As a 2nd year teacher, a representative from UofM came to observe my classroom today. Afterwards, he asked me what my plans were for the following year. Upon telling him I was going to do my doctorates at USC, he responded with a "Oh, you know, that's funny. I recently saw a list of the top 10 Education programs, on no, I meant top 20 programs, UC Berkeley and UCLA were on there, and of course Michigan was there too, but USC wasn't on the list."

My mental thought process:

A. What list were you looking at again?

B. Check the list again.

He then left my classroom saying "Have fun in grad school! Well, not so much fun with all the loans you'll have to take out."

My immediate response: "Oh, I have an incredible financial package, free ride to college and an amazing stipend. So yes, I will have tons of fun in grad school." (Cue double fist pump in the air!)

He left my classroom thinking I'm nuts. Heh... =.=''

Edited by hitomimay

As a 2nd year teacher, a representative from UofM came to observe my classroom today. Afterwards, he asked me what my plans were for the following year. Upon telling him I was going to do my doctorates at USC, he responded with a "Oh, you know, that's funny. I recently saw a list of the top 10 Education programs, on no, I meant top 20 programs, UC Berkeley and UCLA were on there, and of course Michigan was there too, but USC wasn't on the list."

My mental thought process:

A. What list were you looking at again?

B. Check the list again.

He then left my classroom saying "Have fun in grad school! Well, not so much fun with all the loans you'll have to take out."

My immediate response: "Oh, I have an incredible financial package, free ride to college and an amazing stipend. So yes, I will have tons of fun in grad school." (Cue double fist pump in the air!)

He left my classroom thinking I'm nuts. Heh... &--#62;&--#60;''

haha good for you. Also note: California weather >>>> Michigan weather!

haha good for you. Also note: California weather >>>> Michigan weather!

Thanks! Wish he didn't make that comment in front of my students. Ugh.

And oh man, I was in Cali last weekend for their Campus Visit, and they must have turned on the good weather for us, cuz it was AMAZING!!!

Cafe press. There are lots of things from this site that should be used there. Maybe we should start a "grad cafe press." :ph34r:

Friend: you got into an ivy league school!

Me: Well true BUT I am not getting a lot of money from them

Friend: Let me repeat YOU GOT INTO AN IVY LEAGUE school

Me: Sure, it sounds great bu ...

Friend: How did you get into an Ivy league school? B/C apparently you aren't that bright if you aren't going there

While amusing, I think the reality of finances is beyond people sometimes. I already have a lot of debt. Without the right funding offer, I could be in a world of trouble. I'll still go, but I'd prefer not to owe $200k at the end of it...

While amusing, I think the reality of finances is beyond people sometimes. I already have a lot of debt. Without the right funding offer, I could be in a world of trouble. I'll still go, but I'd prefer not to owe $200k at the end of it...

the worst part is the offending friend in this case has ACTUALLY gotten their masters and SHOULD know better

Backstory: applied to 1 graduate program last year (d'oh!), didn't get in.

Mother-in-law (to my husband): Have you heard back from any graduate programs yet?

Husband: Not yet but...

Mother-in-law: So what if she doesn't get in this year? Do you have a Plan B?

Husband: Well, we're still waiting to....

Mother-in-law: DOES THAT MEAN YOU'LL HAVE BABIES?!?!?!?!

Husband: *Crickets*

Uhm, yes. This is a binary circumstance; having children and getting an advanced education are mutually exclusive. Clearly, one either has a master's degree or is a mother.

(I've only managed to read about 5 of the 23 pages for this forum, so I hope this isn't a duplicate.)

Mother-in-law (to my husband): Have you heard back from any graduate programs yet?

Uhm, yes. This is a binary circumstance; having children and getting an advanced education are mutually exclusive. Clearly, one either has a master's degree or is a mother.

(I've only managed to read about 5 of the 23 pages for this forum, so I hope this isn't a duplicate.)

If it is a duplicate, that's because it's sadly common! I'm not quite old enough for everyone to inquire about the status of my uterus yet, but I'm sure it's annoying. Especially when education and motherhood are thought to be mutually exclusive! Most of my professors (male and female) are parents, and they balance everything just fine.

Nope a pretty unique tale in this instance ... although there was one where a parent inquired their child would find time to settle down

Nope a pretty unique tale in this instance ... although there was one where a parent inquired their child would find time to settle down