Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

Despite the inclinations of my personal biases, I don't actually find that Texans are, on average, any more "miserable" than people from other places

Concerning "independence," any celebration of the decentralization of hegemony (racist history or not) is a plus in my book.

As a board-certified and former five-time hater of the year award recipient, I have to say Texans get a little too overprotective over the natal state. Therefore once you 'go in', they are more liable to retaliate in a more violent manner and these are just jokes (till someone gets a black eye). As for that last one ... I ain't touching that sir :)

I wont be applying to Grad Schools until next fall, but I'm beginning to get some of these annoying comments! Here are the most irritating thus far:

• "That's going to cost you like $100k! How will you ever pay that off" ... And then I have to explain what funding is.

• " You're going to apply to Yale, Columbia, AND Johns Hopkins?! I didn't know you were that smart.".... Gee, thanks

[*]"More school? You know you won't be out in the workforce until your 25/26 [i'm 20]?"... I typically respond sarcastically, "wait... what?! I didn't even think of that... I better reevaluate my future aspirations..." <_<

and lastly, I had this conversation earlier today

Friend: "You want to study what?"

Me: "Biostatistics"

Friend: "I've never heard of that... I don't even know what bio....biowhatever is....?

My Texan SO says Texas is not "southern"; it's Texas.

My DH would agree, I then remind him that he's giving up his TX license and plates in the fall and laugh maniacally.

My husband laughs at my Sconnie accent. Apparently i'm accent-less until my parents call, and then i slip immediately into, "Oh YAH, Mum, we hadda big snowstorm here, don'tcha know. Them neighbors upstairs got snoooooowed in. Uff-da!" You can take the girl off the farm, as someone said...

My mom grew up in the Northwoods, she hasn't been back for more than a week at a time in 30 years. 15 minutes on the phone with a relative and she's back to long o's and sounding so out of place.

I'm interested to see what happens this fall. DH is an army brat who has lived in here longer than anywhere else, and I have pieces of Penn Dutch, a teensy bit of centex, and in general speak too fast (at least for Texans, I'm perfectly understandable up north).

Relative: So, ready for the job hunt?

Me: I'm going to grad school, actually.

Relative: Oh, you got in?

Me: ...yes.

Relative: How long does grad school take? Two years?

Me: Closer to five for a Ph.D, usually.

Relative: What are you studying again?

Me: Linguistics.

Relative: ...and what are you going to do with a Ph.D in that??!

(it never ends, I swear.)

Edited by radiowires

I'm starting to think the best answer to that question is something along the lines of,

"be happier than you, apparently."

Will they even understand that?

Response from partner to first rejection: "they're a bunch of assholes there anyway."

Me: "they were pretty nice about it."

Partner: "I hate them."

Perfect support system. B)

This was the story of my life last year! I can't tell you how many times I was filled with loathing and rage at people I didn't know, haha. When you hurt my baby, you hurt me...possibly more. ;) I can only hope that my husband is as supportive next year. But I'm sure he will be, that's why I've kept him. Ha.

So I joined Tulane's admission facebook page, and I noticed that they posted a list of places from where different admitted students are from this year to show I guess that people apply from all over the u.s. The first one listed is albuquerque where I'm currently living. so mentioned it to a co-worker who is a tulane grad alum, and i asked her what were the chances that was me and she said: "pretty good, everytime i say something about tulane here people ask me if its an international school"

win!!! lol

I hate the "You'll get in somewhere" thing! My partner's parents and I had an awkward conversation which consisted of "Well, what would a sociology professor teach?" "Um, sociology?" "And what is that, exactly?"

"That's like psychology, right?" Or..... "Why do you need a PhD in sociology to be a social worker?"

When implicit rejections become real ones:

"Oh, that's too bad, but I thought you were already rejected from that school."

are these people even friends?!?!?!

"WHAT IF YOU WANT TO START A FAMILY? YOU'LL BE AT LEAST 30 WHEN YOU COME OUT!"

I'm currently on a quest to change the perception that grad school is another 5+ years of undergrad both academically AND sociodevelopmentally (made up that word)...people seem to think that more school is such a DELAY of REAL LIFE that in fact I would be incapable of commencing toward milestones that one might achieve in their 20s.

I'm currently on a quest to change the perception that grad school is another 5+ years of undergrad both academically AND sociodevelopmentally (made up that word)...people seem to think that more school is such a DELAY of REAL LIFE that in fact I would be incapable of commencing toward milestones that one might achieve in their 20s.

I really wish people could understand that grad school is a job, one with very long hours and relatively little pay! It took me awhile to really accept that academia is, and has always been, my calling. It's not an easy road. Plus, people do get married and have children in grad school!

See my reply is this: I expect to find a sugar momma ONCE I graduate

Funny, most of the married couples my husband and I are friends with, at least one of the people in each couple is in, or has recently graduated from some sort of graduate/postgrad program (exception being my PT and his wife, between them they have 5? degrees and 3 kids so they are just overacheivers).

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll get into a lot of places!"

Then when I express my fear that I won't get in anywhere...

"You have transferable skills and good experience, so I'm sure you'll still be able to get a good job."

Not really making me feel any better. The reason I applied to grad school was because I don't want to work the sort of job that I have been doing. These 'transferable skills' would be helpful if I wanted to stay in my current realm of work.

I know people are just trying to be supportive and positive, but I'm having a hard time with these comments.

Edited by ukulele11

Don't tell my in-laws that it isn't a delay in real life! It's the only excuse they'll except for why we aren't popping children out. Apparently "we aren't sure we want kids" isn't possible.

I have an argument with my mother when she hears that I got 4 rejection so far. This is really frustrating, I just want to share my anxiety in waiting for reply from grad school. But... it seems she does not understand, I don't know what I should do anymore... Maybe it is better if I just keep my mouth shut after all.

I have an argument with my mother when she hears that I got 4 rejection so far. This is really frustrating, I just want to share my anxiety in waiting for reply from grad school. But... it seems she does not understand, I don't know what I should do anymore... Maybe it is better if I just keep my mouth shut after all.

come to grad cafe ... like your local bar, we understand your pain, we rarely judge and the barkeep rarely expects a tip