Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

Ahh yes, my dream of frantically obsessing over exams, homework, and term papers for the rest of my life is slowly being realized. Also, die in a fire.

Ahh, yes. Taking on more debt than the federal government has been my life's aspiration since I was but a wee lass.

In related comments, though perhaps better suited for a "Sh*t people say when you've graduated from grad school" forum:

"You're paying how much every month in student loans? Dude, that's more than my mortgage."

Thanks for the reminder. I am aware I could single-handedly fund the space program with my student loan debt.

Ahh, yes. Taking on more debt than the federal government has been my life's aspiration since I was but a wee lass.

Did you also dream of holding public newsconferences about how you bankrupting your grandchildrenand how your colleague across the bed from you needs to cut back from his/her spending in order to stem this heavy debt being accumulated?

Did you also dream of holding public newsconferences about how you bankrupting your grandchildrenand how your colleague across the bed from you needs to cut back from his/her spending in order to stem this heavy debt being accumulated?

Obviously! Especially since my student loans don't go away when I die.

Don't worry Sally Mae has an aethereal department ...

Welcome to the department of paying for all the stuff you thought you got away with. We accept pounds of flesh.

forum.thegradcafe.com/www/ips_kernel/classAjax.php</b> on line <b>327</b><br />

"You only applied to ONE program?!?"

Just got accepted! No longer need to defend myself from incredulous looks/questions! :D

Congrats!

I have heard all of these...

1. Don't worry it will work out.5. Your cousin had a hard time getting into grad school and she had better get grades then you.....

- my response: Yes, but thats med school, and she didn't do well on the MCATS

- the reply: well I really hope your write because other wise you'll be stuck in the middle of no where Canada, living in your parents basement

Thanks for making me worry less ....sigh

I'm assuming that's a rent free basement?

have heard all of these...

1. Don't worry it will work out.

2. Linguistics isn't that competitive its not even science

3. Oh don't go there, so and so went there and hated it.

4. If you get a Phd you'll be how old before you get out of schooL?!?!

5. Your cousin had a hard time getting into grad school and she had better get grades then you.....

- my response: Yes, but thats med school, and she didn't do well on the MCATS

- the reply: well I really hope your right because other wise you'll be stuck in the middle of no where Canada, living in your parents basement

Thanks for making me worry less ....sigh

Oh believe me! I did want to slap, not only is linguistics a science, its dam competitive, the only people in the field are really smart. Yeah rent free, its just an american liberal arts degree isn't really going to get me a job, (a MA would). So yeah I have a lot riding on the next few weeks....

Some of my favourites:

1. Why did you apply to the University of Calgary? it's cold there.

2. You'll get in, don't worry. You went to UofT

3. You mean you'll have to move to Kitchener? But that's an hour away, where will you live? - my mother after I told her I applied to Wilfrid Laurier.

4. "Thank god" - my bf after I told him I got rejected from the University of Calgary (I live in Toronto and he obviously doesn't want me to move)

5. Just keep drinking and you'll forget that you even have applications roaming around Canada

Some of my favourites:

1. Why did you apply to the University of Calgary? it's cold there.

2. You'll get in, don't worry. You went to UofT

3. You mean you'll have to move to Kitchener? But that's an hour away, where will you live? - my mother after I told her I applied to Wilfrid Laurier.

4. "Thank god" - my bf after I told him I got rejected from the University of Calgary (I live in Toronto and he obviously doesn't want me to move)

5. Just keep drinking and you'll forget that you even have applications roaming around Canada

I'm sorry but I've been to Calgary before (and not a Native Canadian so that could explain my question but ...) how can anyone hate on Calgary? It is so gorgeous there!

Oh believe me! I did want to slap, not only is linguistics a science, its dam competitive, the only people in the field are really smart. Yeah rent free, its just an american liberal arts degree isn't really going to get me a job, (a MA would). So yeah I have a lot riding on the next few weeks....

family and unnecessary stress seems to be a common thread in a lot of these postings on the "s*** people say ..." list

Edited by oseirus

family and unnecessary stress seems to be a common thread in a lot of these postings on the "s*** people say ..." list

It's true. Also the assumption that grad school and children/family life are mutually exclusive. Why is that? And are only ( or mostly) women assumed to be unable to attend higher education and have a home life or are there men out there being faced with the same assumptions?

Professor: Well, you'll get into 6 of your 7 schools you're applying to. The 7th school will just be an idiot for not taking you. But you should worry more about funding.

Yeah, because I can definitely afford out of state tuition without funding. That, and isn't a *little* hard to get funding if you don't get accepted to the program?

Yeah, because I can definitely afford out of state tuition without funding. That, and isn't a *little* hard to get funding if you don't get accepted to the program?

Lol. If you find a way to get funding somewhere that rejected you, feel free to pass that info along. :rolleyes:

It's true. Also the assumption that grad school and children/family life are mutually exclusive. Why is that? And are only ( or mostly) women assumed to be unable to attend higher education and have a home life or are there men out there being faced with the same assumptions?

Well that's simple to explain: people think all students are the same ... i.e., no source of income and no ability to raise a family ... now granted grad students aren't exactly living in the lap of luxury (except those damn philosophy students! their shiny ivory towers, I tell you what!) but usually most have a stipend of some kind AND a supportive spouse/partner/couch dweller that they can plan these things with ... but again that isn't the stereotype so it is unfathomably to most to think of that dynamic ... at least that's my take

"You only applied to ONE program?!?"

Just got accepted! No longer need to defend myself from incredulous looks/questions! :D

Hahaha! So this is the second time I'm going to grad school and it is again the second time I've applied to only one school. The first time was because I was only interested in that program. This time it's because it IS the only program that exists for someone with my background (and I've been admitted to both so no need to defend myself anymore).

My boss "You should write your disseration on [program I am currently working on]" me: "Uh, I want to study electrical engineering and not of the kind that's even remotely related to this." Boss: "lalalalala you should go to MIT and write your dissertation on [current program]". Oi. :rolleyes: My project is cool and all, but this program is his baby and his kool-aid ain't my kool-aid!

Edited by v834

Coffee shop patron: What are you studying?

Me: I'm studying for a math exam in two hours.

Coffee shop patron: *long diatribe about chaotic systems in simple circuits*

Me: I'm studying for a math exam in two hours.

Coffee shop patron: Are you working on a masters?

Me: No, I'm still waiting to hear back from graduate schools.

Coffee shop patron: You should study chaotic systems in...

Me: I'm studying for a math exam in less than two hours.

Coffee shop patron: Chaos...

Me:

desk%20flip.jpg

Edited by sansao

I'm sorry but I've been to Calgary before (and not a Native Canadian so that could explain my question but ...) how can anyone hate on Calgary? It is so gorgeous there!

I've never actually been to Calgary before but it's funny that someone would think that a cold winter would stop me from applying to a school. I mean I would probably be inside studying all winter anyways lol

This, after telling someone that I work as an instructor at my university and I'm applying for a PhD.

"Oh, you're applying for a PhD. But have you ever had a real job?"

Apparently, I don't have a real job. I just get paid for imaginary work.... sigh.