Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

Are you one of the authors? :P

unfortunately Fox sued me to pull my unauthorized biography of Homer Simpson off the bookshelf ... there were explosive stories in there let me tell you! Child abuse; industrial fraud, waste, and abuse; domestic violence; potential treason; .... it would've been a BLOCKBUSTER!

unfortunately Fox sued me to pull my unauthorized biography of Homer Simpson off the bookshelf ... there were explosive stories in there let me tell you! Child abuse; industrial fraud, waste, and abuse; domestic violence; potential treason; .... it would've been a BLOCKBUSTER!

Not to mention racism.

Not to mention racism.

We did discuss that slightly ... Homer's involvement in the New Black Panthers was something I couldn't get too many sources to even talk about off the record ... they feared retribution ... but one source .... whom we shall call "Sart Bimpson" was very helpful with some details

We did discuss that slightly ... Homer's involvement in the New Black Panthers was something I couldn't get too many sources to even talk about off the record ... they feared retribution ... but one source .... whom we shall call "Sart Bimpson" was very helpful with some details

Sart Bimpson... brilliant. :lol:

After being accepted to all three schools to which I applied:

Mom: "You should have applied at better schools. Then you could have gone to them instead." :| Thanks, mom. Jerk.

Fellow UG student: "You should have applied at only one school instead of wasting all that money. Speaking of money, how much did School X give you? I want to know because I'm going to do my MA there and they'll probably bring my funding up a bit higher since I have a 4.0. It's nice to have a modest idea going in, though, so how much?" Thanks. JERK! My response was "graduate students don't talk about funding because its impolite." : /

My favorite so far?

"Don't worry about it. It's your destiny."

....and they weren't kidding. And they didn't say it just once.... it's the latest comment on all grad school related facebook posts.

Well. Let's hope "destiny" works in my favor?

Damn you were destined to a PhD? Damn my stars!

Family member: "What? It is only a ten people program? And they still didn't reject you yet?"

Me: "........." (i know that you despise me a lot, but don't need to make it so obvious. I really don't want to start a fight.)

Just remember these words

This girl in my office the other day asked me "getting a PHD... takes what another few months or so?"

......I've gotten that at least four times in the last week. I mean, I wish but seriously....?

4. "Oh, you got accepted to [unfunded master's at a name brand school]? WOW CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!" vs. "Oh, you got accepted to [a top-ranked doctoral program with full funding for five years but much less local name recognition]? That's nice!"

Lmaooooo. Indeed. Additionally, I hate people telling me I'll get in somewhere. Their confidence in me makes me think of how much they are underestimating the calibre of students who have more experience than me at this point in life, and how 2.5-5% acceptance rates for my program do NOT equal make getting accepted "for sure, to one of those places." The assurance and nonchalance makes me want to revert back to the gem of immaturity, "I didn't get in so now what, huh!"

4. "Oh, you got accepted to [unfunded master's at a name brand school]? WOW CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!" vs. "Oh, you got accepted to [a top-ranked doctoral program with full funding for five years but much less local name recognition]? That's nice!"

Lmaooooo. Indeed. Additionally, I hate people telling me I'll get in somewhere. Their confidence in me makes me think of how much they are underestimating the calibre of students who have more experience than me at this point in life, and how 2.5-5% acceptance rates for my program do NOT equal make getting accepted "for sure, to one of those places." The assurance and nonchalance makes me want to revert back to the gem of immaturity, "I didn't get in so now what, huh!"

If only picking a school was like picking a Brooks Brothers suit over a Wal-Mart (is their clothing line still George?) suit, wouldn't academia be MUCH easier?

Best part of applying to graduate school: people getting confused and thinking you are there as an undergrad.

Conversation on the airplane last week:

Guy Next To Me (GNTM): Where are you headed this early?

Me: I'm going on an official visit to the engineering school at (Insert Ivy League University here).

GNTM: Are you already admitted?

Me: Yes

GNTM: Oh, what is your GPA? I have a son who is also thinking about applying there for a PoliSci degree.

Me: Well, I have a 3.97.

GNTM: My son should definitely get in then because he has a 3.98 and a ton of extracurriculars.

Me: I am entering the PhD programs. That 3.97 is my college GPA.

GNTM: Oh....... (awkward silence)

Best part of applying to graduate school: people getting confused and thinking you are there as an undergrad.

Ah yes, the confused airplane fellows! No one assumes I'm a [future] graduate student. As a female, I appreciate that. But actually, I was caught off guard when someone had a son in a PhD program, too. I'm usually not prepared to relate to anyone!

My brother is auditioning at undergraduate schools, and I've come with him to most of his auditions, and at every school people tried to direct me to my audition room. I don't think I look 17-18 at all, either in face or dress, but as long as other people think so, then HOORAY!!

Ah yes, the confused airplane fellows! No one assumes I'm a [future] graduate student. As a female, I appreciate that. But actually, I was caught off guard when someone had a son in a PhD program, too. I'm usually not prepared to relate to anyone!

My brother is auditioning at undergraduate schools, and I've come with him to most of his auditions, and at every school people tried to direct me to my audition room. I don't think I look 17-18 at all, either in face or dress, but as long as other people think so, then HOORAY!!

Oh time for me to get my shots of botox! I will NOT be denied my 2nd youth!

No most of it is still trapped in Cali-fo-nye-ay!

You must not live in South Florida. I go to school in Boca. ALL of the radio ads are for liposuction, botox, breast augmentation......It's gross. It was so weird when I first moved down from New Hampshire.

You must not live in South Florida. I go to school in Boca. ALL of the radio ads are for liposuction, botox, breast augmentation......It's gross. It was so weird when I first moved down from New Hampshire.

so you're saying I need to relocate .... ?

Oh yes. We have all your botox and other age-defying needs down here. In abundance.

Peace out academia! I'm off to find my plastic barbie sugar momma! Who needs funding!

This isn't an experience about what was said to me when applying forgrad studies, but I had a similar experience where I didn't "look" the part.

It happened when I was leading a group of undergraduates to another classroom for an exam after we had been kicked out by an old grumpy professor who didn't care that my graduate supervisor had booked this room months before so that the class could be split up while writing the exam.. (a different story).

On my way to the other classroom (where the professor had the rest of the undergraduate group writing the exam) I heard a voice shouting down the hall behind the line of us asking, where is your grad assistant/ are you the g.a?

This was asked to the tallest person in the group, an undergraduate who was 17 years old.

I was the shortest person in the group (and 26 years old), but I guess, I didn't look the part...

(the question intended for me being that another room had been found that we could use to remain in the split two groups).