Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

In my case it was...

Now you're going to go back to school? At your age? When are you going to get married?

Or... so, you're going to be poor for the next few years?

But wait until you take your exams. My MA exam is in less than 3 weeks and I'm tired of hearing people saying..

- Nah! That's a piece of cake for you!

- You're going to be fine, I'm sure you'll rock it!

- If there's anybody who can pass, it is you!

- (Literature student in my department - I'm in the Linguistics track) Oh, c'mon, everybody passes the exam anyway! (Yeahhh!! In the Lit track, people in the Linguistics track do fail and I have several examples to prove it).

- (Coming from my parents) Don't be stupid! How can you fail? We have complete faith in you! You're a genius!

(Don't they realize that that actually puts more pressure on me and makes me more nervous? I know they mean well, but it only makes things worse)

In my case it was...

Now you're going to go back to school? At your age? When are you going to get married?

Or... so, you're going to be poor for the next few years?

But wait until you take your exams. My MA exam is in less than 3 weeks and I'm tired of hearing people saying..

- Nah! That's a piece of cake for you!

- You're going to be fine, I'm sure you'll rock it!

- If there's anybody who can pass, it is you!

- (Literature student in my department - I'm in the Linguistics track) Oh, c'mon, everybody passes the exam anyway! (Yeahhh!! In the Lit track, people in the Linguistics track do fail and I have several examples to prove it).

- (Coming from my parents) Don't be stupid! How can you fail? We have complete faith in you! You're a genius!

(Don't they realize that that actually puts more pressure on me and makes me more nervous? I know they mean well, but it only makes things worse)

"Pressure? Don't be silly dear ... I'm only trying to help" ... an HONEST to goodness reply I once overheard from this woman, after her kid told her off for her overbearingness (pending Trade Mark)

via email at 7:30am

7:30 - mother: good morning dear, i hope you had a nice evening after I spoke with you. I have a doctor's appointment at noon so you'll have to call my cell if you need me. By the way, you got a letter from George Mason yesterday. Have a good day. Love, mom.

7:31 - me: rejection?!?!?!

8:05 - mother: of course not honey

8:05 - me: so it's an ACCEPTANCE letter?

8:17 - mother: yes

I've called you everday since Jan 15th to ask if Mason sent a letter and when I finally stopped asking because I've given up hope THIS is how you notify me?!?!? Via email at your LIESURE even though I know for a fact you're sitting at you desk at work, not working?!?!?!

7:30 - mother: good morning dear, i hope you had a nice evening after I spoke with you. I have a doctor's appointment at noon so you'll have to call my cell if you need me. By the way, you got a letter from George Mason yesterday. Have a good day. Love, mom.

I've called you everday since Jan 15th to ask if Mason sent a letter and when I finally stopped asking because I've given up hope THIS is how you notify me?!?!? Via email at your LIESURE even though I know for a fact you're sitting at you desk at work, not working?!?!?!

Maybe it's b/c she knew you got into FSU and wanted to subtly tell you how AWESOME it is to be a Nole?

Lol ... time won't now emit ... lol

I know I'm not the only one whose noticed (or am I?) but not a whole lot of physics applicants on this thread ... is it possible those crafty b'sterds have bridged the time-space continuum so they don't have to wallow in the wait process?

They just figure out what the decisions are and hang out laughing at everyone else. Given some of the physicists I know, that's exactly what they would do. Haha.

They just figure out what the decisions are and hang out laughing at everyone else. Given some of the physicists I know, that's exactly what they would do. Haha.

now if they only had foreign accents would that complete that image for me!

This, after telling someone that I work as an instructor at my university and I'm applying for a PhD.

"Oh, you're applying for a PhD. But have you ever had a real job?"

Apparently, I don't have a real job. I just get paid for imaginary work.... sigh.

From my parents, "Why do you want to escape from the real world by doing a PhD?"

From my parents, "Why do you want to escape from the real world by doing a PhD?"

Agh, people say that to me all the time too! Or they think that grad school is just College 2.0 and that I simply don't want to be in the "real world." Please. Grad school is a job. I'll just happen to get paid less, work long hours, and learn constantly about things I enjoy. :)

Haha! I like how your mom is all nonchalant about it even though you've been waiting for ages to find out. :rolleyes:

Agh, people say that to me all the time too! Or they think that grad school is just College 2.0 and that I simply don't want to be in the "real world." Please. Grad school is a job. I'll just happen to get paid less, work long hours, and learn constantly about things I enjoy. :)

Screw anyone who advocates being in the "real world" ... they can have their misery ... at least academia is a thing of passion

Brace yourselves, I've been keeping a list of the insensitive stuff people have said to me throughout this process in order to try and get a laugh out of all the misery. ^_^

• "Just like... don't think about it." Silly me! I should have thought of that!

• "Why did you apply?" I have to justify my existence to myself and several admissions committees daily already. Go away.

• "So what are you going to study?" Honestly? IF I get in, I'll do whatever they tell me to do and love the heck out of it.

• "So how are you doing?" Honestly? Been better. What I'll tell you? "Fine."

• "Guess you'll just have to wait and see..." OMG! You're like, totally wise!

• "This waiting is just AWFUL!" Must be tough. I mean you already got into 3 schools and I haven’t heard a thing, but still.

• “You look exhausted!” Great, I’m already stressed and now I’m self-conscious.

• "What are you doing after you finish undergrad?" Don't know yet. Wish I did. What I do know is that I dislike you right now.

• "Why can't you just turn off the stress?" Probably the same reason that you can’t just turn off being an insensitive jerk.

• "What's your first choice?" The place that wants me.

• “What’s your back up plan?” I prefer not to think about it. But probably a cardboard box.

• "Where did you apply?" Do you really want the full list or can I save the oxygen?

• "What's your GRE score/GPA?" 1) That's personal and 2) That's not the only thing that matters.

• "Wouldn't you rather get a real job and make some money?" See, for some of us, the money isn't important.

• "You still haven't heard? That’s bad. Isn't it time to give up on grad school already?" Thanks for the vote of confidence.

• "What are you gonna do if you don't get in?" Thank you for reminding me that is a distinct possibility.

• "Why are you always SO worked up about this? It doesn't even matter!" Well it kind of matters to me but I mean, no big.

• “It could always be worse.” I know that. It could be MUCH worse. But just because it could be worse doesn’t mean I don’t get to feel bad right now.

• "So uh... what are you gonna do after grad school?" How about we cross that bridge AFTER I get decisions.

• "So when are you going to hear back?" If I knew do you think I'd be in this constant state of full on panic?

• "Did you hear that [person] got in to all his schools already?!" Sure did. And while I’m happy for them, please don’t remind me about everyone else’s results.

• "Don't worry, good students like you don't go without any offers." Um, yes they do.

• "But I mean, you're SO SMART, you're gonna get in everywhere, so just stop worrying." Because smart is clearly all that matters.

• “Aren’t you excited for graduation?” Please don’t say the g-word…

• “I’m so excited for you!” Well, that makes one of us because right now I have no reason to be excited.

• “You have to get in SOMEWHERE…” Actually that’s a common misconception.

Edited by SapphireSeaLion

Brace yourselves, I've been keeping a list of the insensitive stuff people have said to me throughout this process in order to try and get a laugh out of all the misery. ^_^

Oh dear LORD ... I salute you!

"So what are you going to study?" Honestly? IF I get in, I'll do whatever they tell me to do and love the heck out of it.

• "So how are you doing?" Honestly? Been better. What I'll tell you? "Fine."

• "What are you doing after you finish undergrad?" Don't know yet. Wish I did. What I do know is that I dislike you right now.

• "What's your first choice?" The place that wants me.

• "Where did you apply?" Do you really want the full list or can I save the oxygen?

• "So uh... what are you gonna do after grad school?" How about we cross that bridge AFTER I get decisions.

• “I’m so excited for you!” Well, that makes one of us because right now I have no reason to be excited.

While I get some of them, especially the "you look tired" one and the really nosy ones, the ones above to me just seem to be expressing interest in you as a person with things going on and I fail to see how they are insensitve, though I certainly understand that perhaps it's more that you are oversensitive, because I became that way myself. Just do a little reality check sometimes, because there is a difference between someone being insensitve and us being overly sensitive, even if they look the same to us in the moment. I swear I was getting to the point of being "OMG, you said hello to me! How DARE you aknowledge my existence while I'm applying to grad school! The nerve!" :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by v834

AMEN to that! What I told my parents was, I have to go to grad school to prepare for my dream job (doing research) by getting a MS/PhD, therefore I am actually PREPARING for the real world.

Screw anyone who advocates being in the "real world" ... they can have their misery ... at least academia is a thing of passion

Yeah, I mean, to each his own! We can't ALL be white-collar rats running the corporate rodent-race.

Yeah, I mean, to each his own! We can't ALL be white-collar rats running the corporate rodent-race.

I believe the words of one Mr. Homer Jay Simpson evoke my sentiments in this matter: " Never. I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors - oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer Simpson?""