What are you reading for fun?

wildviolet

I know this is lame, don't judge! I'm reading the Game of Thrones books by George R.R. Martin. It's nice being able to read something without having to over-analyze it, as I had to do during my Master's. So long narratology, deconstruction, Bakhtin, Lacan, intertext, etc.!

I know this is lame, don't judge! I'm reading the Game of Thrones books by George R.R. Martin. It's nice being able to read something without having to over-analyze it, as I had to do during my Master's. So long narratology, deconstruction, Bakhtin, Lacan, intertext, etc.!

Hey, I'm reading the same. I'm half way through the first one. Probably should finish the first one and the second one before 2nd season comes out.

Edited by Nanomaterials

Hey, I'm reading the same. I'm half way through the first one. Probably should finish the first one and the second one before 2nd season comes out.

Cool. That's kind of my plan as well. I'm also halfway through the first book. So far it's pretty much been the same as the show. I wonder if HBO's doing one book per season? While I am enjoying the books, I will make one semi-pretentious literary observation: Martin's prose is nothing to brag about. He's better than some, but, of course, he's no Tolkien. And he definitely overuses the verb "to pad," as in "the wolf padded closer to Arya." I can see using it with animals from time to time, but he also uses it with humans! Tell me, how does one pad? I'll stop here because I've already gone overboard (Lit. majors will understand, I'm sure).

While I am enjoying the books, I will make one semi-pretentious literary observation: Martin's prose is nothing to brag about. He's better than some, but, of course, he's no Tolkien. And he definitely overuses the verb "to pad," as in "the wolf padded closer to Arya." I can see using it with animals from time to time, but he also uses it with humans! Tell me, how does one pad? I'll stop here because I've already gone overboard (Lit. majors will understand, I'm sure).

I'm de-lurking to wholeheartedly endorse this comment!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah! Fun thread!

I just finished Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides and Headhunter by Timothy Findley; both were great get under your skin type stories, for very different reasons.

I just started Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden and am conquering The World Without Us by Alan Weisman in fits and starts (it's a great read, but I find I can only handle it in incriminental doses).

I'm also supplementing with graphic novels. Y the Last Man and Transmetropolitan and Sandman are probably my favourite series, so I pick them off the shelf for a re-read every now and again (or to lend 'em out!). I've been a little stuck since I'm all caught up with The Walking Dead and The Boys. I'm currently carrying Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic around (everything by Gaiman is amazing, and this series is kind of young-boy-outcast-who's-really-a-wizard-before-Harry-Potter-made-it-cool; hell, the protagonist even has an owl!)

I did The Game of Thrones Series back-to-back last year, and am pretty evangelical about it, so it's nice to people (re)discovering it, prompted by the TV series or otherwise! While you might not deconstruct or invoke Lacan whilst reading it, I bet you could pull some interesting observations with a Barthes' Mythologies lens! Not to tempt the Lit. majors or anything!

Celebration of Discipline by Foster and Sacred Marriage by Thomas- but we're doing book studies on both. But it's not for school so it counts, right?

I have a list of books I want to read this summer before grad school starts up but somehow I don't see that happening. Over that last 3 years husband and I have picked up ~45 books at the annual library fundraiser booksale and I've read maybe two and one ended up being a textbook (how cool is it to use Blackhawk Down as a text?)

I am reading "The New York Trilogy" by Paul Auster. Currently on the first book, "The Glass City".

I CANNOT handle how genius and interesting and fascinating and incredible it is. Seriously. I am enjoying it immensely.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.

I have also just finished Animal Man Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison, and hope to pick up volumes 2 and 3 soon.

also, I find it funny that many of us bother to italicize or quote book titles. such graduate students... :lol:

Just started A Prayer For Owen Meany, just finished Life of Pi, and reading my vet-student-roommate's textbook on animal cognition for her comparative psychology course sparingly.

I love Life of Pi! Not sure if I really understand it, but I couldn't put it down!

I love Life of Pi! Not sure if I really understand it, but I couldn't put it down!

I actually thought the first ~300 pages could be slow at times (although I couldn't put it down either, I finished it in like two days) but the last 20 pages were excellent. I want to go back & re-read it, but I'm waiting a while before trying that.