What to do while waiting?

redheadedasian

My applications are in, and I've already decided to put this out of my mind, because everything I read is just upsetting me more. I heard from two very competitive schools that I am still being considered, but now I'm up against the very best, and both of their applicant pools grew quite a bit :(

So, I'm going to cut back on checking this site obsessively (once a day at the most), but what do I do to stop thinking about this? What are you guys going to do? I already coincidentally planned a hiking/camping trip with my boyfriend during the week of March 11, which is when I am expecting to hear from most of them, and I think a few days without internet will do me good - especially then.

Any ideas for before then? Let's give each other suggestions!

I find that taking some time for "me" helps keep me balanced -- I've been reading for pleasure, going out to the bars or parties with my friends at least once a week, and volunteering more.

I am on spring break march 10-17, so I will be home a lot (with not much to do, because my boyfriend can't take off work). I'll probably try to work out a lot and work ahead in my classes. then one of my bffs is coming to town to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with me! I'm guessing I will have heard from my top two choices by then, so we will either be celebrating (she already got into an Audiology program this fall) or drowning my sorrows in green beer.

I hear you on the gradcafe effect though. It's been hard reading everything in the SLP thread, but I don't think I'm strong enough to pull myself away. lol

I've been working, so luckily I can't wait around all day for the mail to get in. By the time I'm home the postal service already visits. Otherwise, I'm studying to get back in the swing of it, visiting friends, and very happy every Sunday... no offices are open & no mail to obsess over!

Buy a lot of cats and cuddle with them.

Lol! Thats exactly what I did! I just adopted this very sweet and very pathetic older stray who is blind in one eye and has (thankfully asymptomatic) feline leukemia virus. Poor baby was dumped in Brooklyn and hasnt stopped purring since I brought her inside. Shes helping me keep my sanity : )

I'm doing plenty of stuff and keeping my schedule busy, but nothing seems to be helping. I'm usually a great sleeper, but recently I've been waking up in the middle of the night, unable to fall back asleep. Last night, I ended up watching King Corn (the documentary) until four in the morning. As much as I try not to think about it, unconsciously, I think I'll be a mess until everything gets figured out in April. I guess it's the nature of the application process.

So now I have been accepted to NYU, but I missed the FAFSA deadline for my program. I can still apply for whatever financial aid is left, and again in the spring, but the idea of footing all that fall tuition is enough to keep me on my toes. I'm only a little less anxious to hear from the others.

It is nice to know I'm in somewhere, though. I have an interview for another program in about two weeks, and I think I'll be much less nervous :)

My work has been insanely busy with two major conferences within two weeks of each other. I get to plan those and call a billion people. Busy, busy, busy. But I somehow manage to still check my email, GC, and application statuses multiple times a day. :S