MFA Creative Writing- Results

PhDreams

I have applied for an MFA in Fiction (begin Fall 2014) to all of the CUNY Programs in NYC as well as NYU.  Has anyone heard regarding their applications in these programs as of yet? 

I got rejected from USF Tampa about a week and a half ago, and today my waitlist letter came from Columbia College Chicago (my top choice).  I'm hopeful that there's still a chance I can get in, but kind of sad that I won't likely know for months yet one way or another :(

Does anyone know the status of Syracuse fiction notifications? Thanks. 

I know they have sent several rejections out (from what friends have said), it seems they notify as they go if you are rejected. So it is a good thing if you haven't heard anything thus far. My friend who applied for the fiction program got a rejection a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know when UF or University of Miami get back to their applicants? I can find almost no data from UF and it's becoming my primary Google search term.

What genre?

@mmt34c25 Fiction. There's more people talking about poetry, which is interesting.  :) Did you hear back from them?

No, I did not apply there, but I was going to say if you were poetry I wouldn't sweat it. Poets are notorious for being late with everything, all the time, always. However, from what I understand (and I may have already posted something similar to this in this thread) regardless of what program you applied to nonfiction applicants are usually notified first, fiction second, and poetry third. 

While this week is a big week to hear back from schools, March 10th is probably the biggest date to hear from schools. If you haven't heard anything by then (especially for fiction) it is probably okay to follow up with the school. Although you may want to wait an extra day or so. AWP was later than usual this year which I think is throwing a lot of schools off. 

I have compiled most of this information from an old professor who has served on selection committees. What he has told me thus far has proven to be fairly accurate. Hopefully this helps you some, I know it doesn't make the wait any easier really, but hopefully you will hear something soon.

Lastly, check out http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Creative+writing&t=a&o=&pp=25 if you haven't already. It might help some too! Good luck!

Hey, IU applicants!  Will one of you please dare to prod the admissions contact, again? Maybe she'll let loose some notifications if someone asks.... I can't bare this any longer!     

Hey, IU applicants!  Will one of you please dare to prod the admissions contact, again? Maybe she'll let loose some notifications if someone asks.... I can't bare this any longer!     

I'm on it!

From the history that is showing up on the admission results page it looks like IU is going to be awhile. I wouldn't say anything to them until next week at the earliest. I know, I know the wait is horrendous, but the last thing you want to do is to piss someone off if they haven't made decisions yet.

Yes! Way to test the ethical fabrics of academia, and perhaps receive a nugget of golden clarity!

Edit to say:  this forum culture is so surreal!!!!!!

Edited by pdh12

In the ideal world I'd love to facilitate workshops dedicated to exposing people to poetry reading/writing in faraway lands!

Which faraway lands? If Italy is one of them, sign me up to help out!

I want to teach.

Do you plan on going on to get a PhD then?

On 2/10/2014 at 1:00 PM, tj2424 said:

Alabama

Iowa

New Mexico

Arizona

George Mason

New Hampshire

WUSTL

Idaho

All for CNF. No word yet. This is going to be a long month. 

Have you heard from GMU yet? I have a friend that applied for the CNF program and she had an interview for a TA spot a few weeks ago. I am unsure if you applied for a TA spot or not and if any of this is relevant to you, but you might find this info helpful???? Good luck either way, you applied to great programs!

Speaking of PhD's, did you guys check out Denver's for Poetry? They only take those who haven't yet got a MFA. I know someone who got their MFA at UMass then PhD in Buffalo, NY....

I was thinking francophone and anglophone African countries and India for the faraway bits...I've worked for the government's State dpt. for African embassies and speak Urdu, so that's where I'd be able to communicate. I feel like there's not enough poetry in the world!!

Speaking of PhD's, did you guys check out Denver's for Poetry? They only take those who haven't yet got a MFA. I know someone who got their MFA at UMass then PhD in Buffalo, NY....

I was thinking francophone and anglophone African countries and India for the faraway bits...I've worked for the government's State dpt. for African embassies and speak Urdu, so that's where I'd be able to communicate. I feel like there's not enough poetry in the world!!

There is definitely a lack of poetry!!!

And I did briefly look into Denver's PhD for poetry, but I was attempting to apply to places that would not be near any of my immediate family members and my sister and her family live about 2 hours outside of Denver. Denver is beautiful (I lived there until I was 8), perhaps later in life I can return? I do think it is awesome they go for non MFA-ers.

I am keeping my fingers crossed to get into Cincinnati's BA-PhD program (Utah is a good program too, but I like Cin's way more). I just wish MFA's did not have such a stigma when it comes to going on to a PhD program. I got my BA in History and Sociology so it virtually impossible for me to go get an MA for easier admission into a PhD program. I just don't understand the stigma. 

I have considered PhD programs, but I thought I'd start with trying to get an MFA. Publishing is the path to teaching creative writing at the college level. Masters and PhDs expand your job opportunities, as you are able to teach a greater breadth of courses, but I only want to teach creative writing. 

I'm really just going one step at a time here and I'm open to variations in the future.

I did think about Denver. I was really hoping to get into UC Davis which is an MA.