MFA Creative Writing- Results

PhDreams

I just heard back from UC Davis! I got accepted into their Creative Writing Program for fiction!! This is the first time I've heard back from a school, so I'm feeling really optimistic. I just hope this isn't some weird and twisted trick. 

Congrats!

I definitely feel like a crazy person these last few days... The sane part of me knows that checking Apply Web twice a day won't actually make a difference -- especially when it'll probably be another week or two before the first big wave of acceptances start going out. Does that stop me from doing it? HELL NAH.

gilbert -- Going big there, huh?  ;) Best of luck to you, and everyone else!

Also, though it might do more harm than good depending on your temperament, I encourage you guys to check out the MFA Draft '14 Facebook group. It's been both a big help (there are other people out there!) and a huge source of anxiety (OH GOD OH GOD, maybe a Cornell acceptance went out??) but I at least like to know what information is floating around!

jjinx - thanks and good luck to you too! it's "go big or go home" right?  :)

actually what it is: a major career change for me and given my family situation and such, Iowa seemed like the only place my partner would be willing to move to/for...at least at present. we'll see what happens...a rejection could either convince me the whole thing isn't for me or that I should apply to a slew of schools next year. so for now I'm hanging out nervously with a single toe dipped in the pond.

congrats fancy123 on UC Davis!

and thanks for the tip on the MFA Draft '14 group jjinx.

I actually use MFA Draft! Haha, and that Cornell reference, jjinx. I swear, we can take the comments and posts on that facebook wall and turn it into a comedic/satirical/maybe a little romance novel. I love it there! 

Oh, I see we are each other's competition!

Waiting for decisions is absolutely excruciating. I feel crippled, and hope this experience doesn't have a lasting effect...

For a poetry MFA I applied to:

Indiana

Columbia

UMass Amherst

Kent (accepted)

Aberystwyth (accepted)

And for a Phd (CompLit/Translation):

Binghamton

Umass Amherst

UMich

And Erasmus Mundus Masters in Cultural Narratives

I'm kicking myself now...I should've applied to 20 more schools! I dread and long to hear of their decisions.

And the process has been a nightmare. For my Columbia app, one of my references didn't submit their letter!!!! GAH!

Hello! I'm so glad to have found this place.

I applied for Creative Nonfiction/Memoir at these schools:

- Wyoming

- Alabama (Tuscaloosa)

- Stony Brook (Accepted)

- Minnesota 

- Iowa

- Montana

- Oregon State

- Washington University in St. Louis (WashU)

- Rutgers-Newark

- Sarah Lawrence

Good luck, everybody!

Hey there!

I decided on a whim to apply to MFA programs. I have wanted to since I graduated in December with a B.A. and then decided to take the scary plunge of applying.

I applied to:

WCSU

Yale

Fairfield U

Southern NH U

NEC

Sewanee

SCAD

Cedar Crest U

WashU

Lindenwood U --- Accepted

I've only heard from one so far via email. I hope to hear from more soon but my university has taken a while to process and send out my transcripts, therefore, it's not looking great unfortunately. I sent out my first transcript request on the 31st of January and a few universities haven't notified me if they have received them or not. Sigh.

Aaaand there was a pre-Valentines Day slaughter on the Cornell front. (I got my first rejection this morning via generic email from Cornell for fiction (does that sentence need more prepositions?).) Oh, and hello new people!! 

Yes, I was just rejected from Cornell (poetry) this afternoon. I should've spent more care/time on my application, but I'm still optimistic about the future. This was my first time applying to graduate school, and I'm pretty sure I forgot a few copy/paste school name changes in my statement of purpose. Cornell's letter definitely said how much I'd love the Umass translation program.... oops.

Hey! Does anyone know anything about the University of Kent's Mst in Creative Writing program? I was accepted and it's only two semesters long, which seems ideal for attaining a degree so quickly. Students spend one semester in Canterbury and one in Paris (and I translate French!). By I can't quite get a feel for Kent's ...quality...

I've been browsing this forum for a minute finally decided to join. Got an interview for SAIC's MFA in Writing yesterday. Anybody else apply there this year? Any current students care to share their experiences? 

It's the only school I applied to.

I applied to 7 and found out in the past two weeks that I got into my top two!

Washington University in St. Louis for poetry (heard back February 4th)

Columbia University for poetry (got a phone call from Lucie Brock-Broido on February 11th at like 11pm lol).

I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia how much money they're going to offer, but it's hard to compete with the full-ride at WUSTL.

Good luck everyone :)

Found out I got into Columbia for Poetry on the 14th. Happy Valentine's Day to me! 

Still waiting to hear about funding ::fingers crossed::

Good luck to everyone!

Hi Decaf, looks like we're in the same boat (in at Columbia but haven't heard the funding numbers either).I don't know about you, but I'm going crazy waiting--if it weren't for the money, I'd go in a heartbeat.

Hi Decaf, looks like we're in the same boat (in at Columbia but haven't heard the funding numbers either).I don't know about you, but I'm going crazy waiting--if it weren't for the money, I'd go in a heartbeat.

It seems so. Apparently they aren't going to be able to confirm funding info until mid-March. Ergh! I'm so grateful and thrilled because it's Columbia, but it's so hard waiting to hear about funding, because yeah, that is a huge, huge, huge, huge factor in whether or not I can go. 

I did know it was pricey when I applied, but I honestly never expected to actually get in. Lol. 

It seems so. Apparently they aren't going to be able to confirm funding info until mid-March. Ergh! I'm so grateful and thrilled because it's Columbia, but it's so hard waiting to hear about funding, because yeah, that is a huge, huge, huge, huge factor in whether or not I can go. 

I did know it was pricey when I applied, but I honestly never expected to actually get in. Lol. 

Congrats on getting into Columbia. I got in two years ago for fiction, and after anxiously waiting to hear about what sort of funding i could get, heard back a month later (on apr 4). I was informed by email they were able to offer me 10k. I knew that sometimes more funding becomes available when people turn down their offers, and so I wrote an email back asking if they could offer for assistance. No such luck. I didn't go to Columbia. 

Like you, I felt (and still do) grateful and thrilled to have "gotten in" to Columbia...the acceptance alone gave me a confidence boost and the courage to quit my lousy office job and write full time. I don't regret not going to the school because the debt would have been huge, and I have been able to grow as a writer regardless (without the huge price tag). 

Even so....not going was an awfully hard decision to make, one I wish none of us had to make. I hope that you won't be put in that position.

Good luck!

I applied to 17 places for an MFA in Fiction. I only applied to places that generally offer full funding to most or all students. So far I've heard from five--four rejections and one acceptance. Here they are: 

USF Tampa - Accepted

U Kansas Lawrence - Rejected

UCF Orlando - Rejected

New Mexico State U - Rejected

Texas State San Marcos - Rejected

I'm happy to have one acceptance, but of course I'm hoping for some more. Congratulations to everyone who got in somewhere already.

Edited by KingWalnut