Washington DC - Area International Affairs Schools (Admissions)

PrattIAFF

@disintegrate - I think it depends on what you want to do with the degree. From a purely economic perspective, you need to look at the cost of the degree as the sticker price plus the interest you'll pay on any debt you incur. Then you need to see if your future job/business will allow you to pay this off, how long you expect it to take, and then decide if that cost is worth the degree. I would basically produce two personal financial projections of the future, with and without the degree, and then take a call on its value. Don't forget to incorporate 2 years of lost income (assuming you'll be a full-time student) in this model.

Writing this makes me wonder if a tool for this already exists. Will google!

Good luck!

Yeah, i think the "IDEV fellowship results first out" theory makes sense, if this can offer you peace of mind.

I hate to derail your theory by I heard and I'm in the intl trade & investment policy program. Perhaps they are considering anyone who hasn't heard for a more competitive fellowship?

@MYRNIST--when I was talking to a current student at ESIA about funding, she said that it really varied by department within the school because each department has its own pool of dedicated funds (presumably from grants/foundations/alumni) so if you're applying to a different track than the people who have gotten notifications, that might be why you haven't heard yet.

@disintegrate @wantgrad--I definitely agree with needing to look at the total cost package. For example, if I get into SIPA with no funding it's a hard choice, because $150k in debt for total cost of attendance for two years (can't forget to include housing/living costs in that calculation!) is a lot of money. You have to look at projected earnings, estimated monthly loan payment (including undergrad debt), etc to see if the math adds up. Pretty sure that at the very least, the Direct Loan site has a student debt calculator so you can see what your monthly payment will be like.

One thing to remember is that your federal loan debt can be forgiven after 10 years in NGO/gov't work so if you're planning to go into the Foreign Service etc, and are willing to bet that the PSLF program will be around in a decade, you can write off half your loan payments when calculating affordability (and enroll in the Income-Based Repayment plan to make sure you don't starve). However, I need to double-check and make sure that Grad PLUS counts for PSLF eligibility.

Just putting this out there and I'm curious, (I don't think I could) would anyone out there turn down significant funding at one place and incur $50k+ of debt to go to another program?

@Clay Made--Actually, if you look down the thread page a bit there's a discussion on UCSD where I shared my thoughts :)

@fenderpete--there are definitely people out there who would incure $50k+. For me, $25k/yr is worth it in a way that $75k/yr is not. It also depends on the relative strengths of the programs and their prestige, and what monetary values you can place on them. If I got significant funding at UCSD, for example, but found out I got into JHU-SAIS with enough funding to make costs only $25k/yr, I would go for JHU-SAIS. Name brand, alumni connections, and location in DC so I could get an academic-year DC internship would be worth that extra money to me. When I applied to expensive schools I thought hard about my price tolerance, because I was realistic about my funding chances, and $25k/yr is not over that limit for me.

The admission results of WWS have just come out guys ! Refresh your email inbox !!!

I'm not in but no nig deal, I wasn't banking too much on that one.

Good luck ya all

Just got in Fletcher MALD ($20K/year) and SAIS (with conditional acceptance based on economic prerequisite completion, which means no summer time fun !I) also nothing yet about a fellowship. So still undecided between all my options.

Congratulation on all of you, we're a fantastic group on this thread and so much more is ahead of us.

So it appears all admissions decisions are out. However, I have heard that MSFS released the decisions today, yet I have not received anything. What could that mean?

So it appears all admissions decisions are out. However, I have heard that MSFS released the decisions today, yet I have not received anything. What could that mean?

Don't Worry. Georgetown SFS stated that they are only 'beginning' to release their decisions as of the 15th, and it will continue until April 1st. Furthermore, they stated that the order of admission-notofications have no significance (debunking the theory of "acceptances are first the week, rejections are the second week, etc.")

Check out the link: http://msfs.georgetown.edu/admissions/

Edited by Learn619

@disintegrate - I think it depends on what you want to do with the degree. From a purely economic perspective, you need to look at the cost of the degree as the sticker price plus the interest you'll pay on any debt you incur. Then you need to see if your future job/business will allow you to pay this off, how long you expect it to take, and then decide if that cost is worth the degree. I would basically produce two personal financial projections of the future, with and without the degree, and then take a call on its value. Don't forget to incorporate 2 years of lost income (assuming you'll be a full-time student) in this model.

Writing this makes me wonder if a tool for this already exists. Will google!

Good luck!

If you're thinking in purely economical terms, in addition to wantgrad's post, I think some people also need to consider other degrees/career paths as well. I find myself in this position now.

Edited by nouveau.ukiyo

Anyone who has been accepted to Georgetown heard about funding yet? I heard about my acceptance over a week ago but no info on funding yet. I was told that they prefer student employment as a form of funding, any insight into this?

• 11 months later...

So this hasn't been updated since last year, but I just emailed American University's SIS. They don't expect to release decisions until "late March or early April." I was hoping that they would get the results out as quickly as last year, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

GW (Asian Studies) Vs American (Int'l Affairs - Regional and Comparative) VS UCSD (Pacific International Affairs)

Right now I have George Washington and American in the lead for their overall IR rankings and their presence in Washington, DC.  It has been harder for me to find information regarding their reputations for excellence in Asian politics / studies, and I wanted to ask your opinions.  I know this may vary regarding my plans--initially I plan on doing a terminal MA focusing on China (with a focus on either strategic thinking of Chinese policy-makers and elites; or alternatively on strategic relations between China and India).  After my MA, I would like to work at a think tank / NGO / or even a business in Asia if I am not already working for State.  I could see myself returning for a PhD after work experience.

Thank you!

GW (Asian Studies) Vs American (Int'l Affairs - Regional and Comparative) VS UCSD (Pacific International Affairs)

Right now I have George Washington and American in the lead for their overall IR rankings and their presence in Washington, DC.  It has been harder for me to find information regarding their reputations for excellence in Asian politics / studies, and I wanted to ask your opinions.  I know this may vary regarding my plans--initially I plan on doing a terminal MA focusing on China (with a focus on either strategic thinking of Chinese policy-makers and elites; or alternatively on strategic relations between China and India).  After my MA, I would like to work at a think tank / NGO / or even a business in Asia if I am not already working for State.  I could see myself returning for a PhD after work experience.

Thank you!

I have the same dilemma. Even I'm trying to decide between GW(Asian Studies) and AU SIS( Int'l Affairs- Comparative and Regional Studies).

My interest is in foreign policy of Asian countries especially China and India. I'd like to go back to journalism after my master's.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these schools? Particularly on how strong the Asia component is?

I have the same dilemma. Even I'm trying to decide between GW(Asian Studies) and AU SIS( Int'l Affairs- Comparative and Regional Studies).

My interest is in foreign policy of Asian countries especially China and India. I'd like to go back to journalism after my master's.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these schools? Particularly on how strong the Asia component is?

I misread Georgetown SFS's notice - I am actually waitlisted as well.

Edited by kingchupacabra

I misread Georgetown SFS's notice - I am actually waitlisted as well.

So which one are you leaning towards? I'm somehow attracted towards SIS(American) but I'm not sure of its reputation globally. Have you spoken to any students at any of these schools?

@av260987 I'm a journalist too, planning to return to the field after graduation. starting to weigh if a 2 year degree will help this career path but im really interested in having the background...would love to talk more if you're interested!