Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Hi all! I'm new here as of yesterday, and, like an idiot, didn't realize this particular subject forum existed until this morning. I don't know if anyone might have seen my post in "Waiting it Out," but I know from a brief talk I had with a professor on Monday that Princeton's history department had their 'departmental meeting' about applications on Tuesday, and I was told that they would be making/confirming/bureaucratizing their decisions "within the next two weeks."

Looks like they might finally be starting to trickle out! Excuse me while I go and get absolutely nothing done at work from the anxiety...

Congrats to the UC Irvine acceptees! :D So glad some of us are finally starting to receive answers!

Hi all! I'm new here as of yesterday, and, like an idiot, didn't realize this particular subject forum existed until this morning. I don't know if anyone might have seen my post in "Waiting it Out," but I know from a brief talk I had with a professor on Monday that Princeton's history department had their 'departmental meeting' about applications on Tuesday, and I was told that they would be making/confirming/bureaucratizing their decisions "within the next two weeks."

Looks like they might finally be starting to trickle out! Excuse me while I go and get absolutely nothing done at work from the anxiety...

Welcome, akacentimetre!  Good luck waiting out the next couple of weeks...and best of luck with Princeton!  I believe NewEnglandNat attends that program - you may want to PM her. :)

Has anyone else gotten a notification from UCI? Any idea on what the funding packages are like?

Hi there! Congrats on your acceptance! I also received an email from UCI's graduate administrator offering admission.

The email was not very clear about funding. It did indicate that we should hear back in the next week or so, however. I think I will contact Igler for more information.

Hi there! Congrats on your acceptance! I also received an email from UCI's graduate administrator offering admission.

The email was not very clear about funding. It did indicate that we should hear back in the next week or so, however. I think I will contact Igler for more information.

Hey! Yes, I was given pretty much the same information. Although they did mention that if some other school offered a package, I am to inform them at once. If you do hear back from Igler, do let me know?

Hey! Yes, I was given pretty much the same information. Although they did mention that if some other school offered a package, I am to inform them at once. If you do hear back from Igler, do let me know?

Certainly! I am Carrie, by the way. What is your area of specialty?

For the UC Irvine acceptees, congrats!

I was also wondering if you guys applied for the PhD or MA program?

Thank you all. This was for a PhD. My feeling is that the admission process is still ongoing, so I wouldn't despair especially if you are applying for an MA.

Congrats to people starting to see admissions.  Be careful of what is called the Foothold Effect.  Some schools try very hard to be among the first school to admit so that you start imagining yourself there.  That way when other admissions come in you are comparing the new offer against the one you already have subconciously.

I know that it's early and a lot of you don't have admissions yet, but you need to start to think about things differently.  Once the school has admitted you, they want you very badly.  The professors have invested a lot of time in your applications, they've fought battles to get who they want, and at most places made bitter decisions about who they could and couldn't fund.  You need very quickly to get past the "they like me, they really like me!" feeling and be prepared to think about this very rationally.  You are talking about 5-9 years of the rest of your life.

For those of you waiting on Princeton specifically I will tell you that the essential decisions have already been made, but you must remember that the raft of candidates has to go to the graduate school and packages have to be put togeather.  They're all the same package yes, but they actually have to assemble all the stuff.  I would not expect a decision from Princeton on a friday, but that's not hard and fast, it's just a matter of the way the department functions.  Spring classes start on the 4th here, so although I would put money on decisions coming out on the 7th of Feb, it could be earlier if the bureaucracy wants to get it done before classes start.

Geez, thanks, Nat, for bringing back memories from last year. :wacko:  At least the early notifications worked out just fine... still in  :wub:

The most agonizing part actually was waiting to visit the campuses, which didn't happen for about 10 weeks!  I swear that was even worse than waiting for decisions  :blink:

Back to my advice a few pages back- talk to a close friend or mentor who is steady and can help you keep your eyes on the road- your truly top choice.   (No, not that top choice who ended up giving you the best funding package but the top choice that FITS with a solid funding package.)  B) 

For the UC Irvine acceptees, congrats!

I was also wondering if you guys applied for the PhD or MA program?

Thank you all for the kind words!

I applied to the Ph.D. program as well. They may have reviewed the Ph.D. apps first (that is, those who applied to the program and for funding). If you haven't heard back yet, I wouldn't worry. I think that the program had two or more deadlines (December 15th and I believe sometime in early January). My guess is that they looked at the apps that Ph.D. apps that requested fellowships/funding first.