Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

One Berkeley admit and one Yale interview (when Yale normally doesn't hold interviews). The end is coming people!!!! The next two weeks are going to be a roller-coaster ;) !!!! and we are all on it!!! :D

This thread is stressing me out and my application season isn't till next year.....lol

That's why I don't tell people about this site.  It's great for advice, while you're working on apps, but it's hell in the Spring.

That's why I don't tell people about this site.  It's great for advice, while you're working on apps, but it's hell in the Spring.
A colleague of mine has gone ahead and blocked it on her various devices. Not a bad approach. I wish I had that sort of will, tho! I'd almost certainly find a way around it!

So true.  I love how supportive the people are here...but this website has become a terrible addiction in recent weeks! :P

Aww, I'd rather have some anxiety-ridden company while I wait! The rest of my roommates are, for the most part, big-time partiers that don't take their education seriously (along with the rest of this godforsaken university!). I don't have anyone to relate to as far as grad school stuff goes, so this site is absolutely awesome. If I'm going to fail at these applications, I at least want some company. Misery loves company, after all!

Could it have been a private heads up from the POI?  That's my situation at the moment -- haven't heard a peep from the school itself, but I know I'm in via my lord and master.  So admits may not officially be out, but someone's POI is excited.  Just putting that out there.  Please continue breathing XD

Heads up from PoI is possible, but lots of places are pretty disciplined.  The other thing that happens is that schools accept in batches based on their funding decisions.  So at least one school that has already admitted some people wont finish admitting people until midmarch.

Oh this site is absolutely insane. I know I won't hear anything from my American schools until at least the week of Valentine's Day but here I am, freaking out regardless. Aber's decision should come this week.

But...it's good to see everyone supporting one another in our insanity!

Is today the last day of relative peace and quiet? :unsure: I'll start doing my stretches.

Hey Berkeley applicants.. don't worry.... just because there's been one European admit, doesn't mean they're done. As you say, it could be a POI heads up, or they may not too everything in one batch. Don't give yourself a heart attack yet... there's a long way to go for us all. You're going to need that energy  :D *group hug*

I haven't heard a peep about anything from anyone. I'm still surprised that I'm pretty calm.. what's that about?! I get the odd bit of nerves, but on the whole doing fine. I totally think that's going to change this week.

ETA: annieca - good luck with Aber! I'm sure they'll want to keep you.

Edited by Sio68

One Berkeley admit and one Yale interview (when Yale normally doesn't hold interviews). The end is coming people!!!! The next two weeks are going to be a roller-coaster ;) !!!! and we are all on it!!! :D

Yale started doing phone interviews last cycle, and most students were interviewed in mid to late January. I don't know if they're still doing it this year, but the fact that only one has been posted on the results board this late in the month leads me to believe they may have dropped the interview from their application process.

Everyone else: CALM DOWN! You shouldn't feel discouraged because you haven't heard anything in late January. Second week of February is generally when you'll see most of the action. Some schools don't admit everyone at once and begin with their top applicants. Some schools place students on a waiting list (in most cases without telling them), only to admit students in March, April or even later. Sit tight, stay busy and avoid checking the results board or forums if it'll only make you worry further.

Everyone else: CALM DOWN! You shouldn't feel discouraged because you haven't heard anything in late January. Second week of February is generally when you'll see most of the action. Some schools don't admit everyone at once and begin with their top applicants. Some schools place students on a waiting list (in most cases without telling them), only to admit students in March, April or even later. Sit tight, stay busy and avoid checking the results board or forums if it'll only make you worry further.
Thanks for keeping things in perspective, Safferz! :) I'll try to remain calm over the next 3 weeks. That's proving much easier said than done, however...especially when the answers are slowly beginning to trickle in for other folks! Congrats to everyone accepted so far, and best of luck to all of us still waiting on decisions! :D

Yale started doing phone interviews last cycle, and most students were interviewed in mid to late January. I don't know if they're still doing it this year, but the fact that only one has been posted on the results board this late in the month leads me to believe they may have dropped the interview from their application process.

I'd love to know if anyone could confirm this! Maybe the person who posted the Yale interview could DM me? i'm trying not to stress too much, but I'd just love to know if I should be hoping for a request soon (or start to lose hope in the next few days) or if I'm jumping the gun.

thanks for the kind words about the typo on my app, everyoe. honestly i'm more concerned, looking back at it all, that my writing sample isn't quite as great as it could be. we'll have to wait and see, but if i get in nowhere this cycle, there is some seriously soul searching in my future i suppose.

anyway, enough whining from me. congrats to ther berkeley folks and let the excitement begin!

Well, in the midst of these mystery Berkeley acceptances, I just have to say -- I'm optimistic that programs seem to be notifying earlier this year. Let's hope this is a general trend!

I think it might be. Historically, most of the schools I have applied to start notifying mid-Feb. However, I've already started hearing back from schools! It's crazy! Best of luck to everyone. I really think we've gotten sucked into the accelerated notification season and I'm not complaining.

I got my reading list for both of my classes this semester and holy cow, am I going to be reading a lot! Well, let me rephrase that. I will be reading a lot to keep my mind off things. The reading isn't required, only *suggested*. But it's a good distraction. Also, as much as I love you guys, staying away from the forums is also helpful. Or at least, staying away from the thread "Is anyone else losing their damn minds?" thread. :/

Good luck everyone! I'll have a proper cuppa and cookies waiting at the finish line!

I think it might be. Historically, most of the schools I have applied to start notifying mid-Feb. However, I've already started hearing back from schools! It's crazy! Best of luck to everyone. I really think we've gotten sucked into the accelerated notification season and I'm not complaining.

I'm not complaining, either!  Desperately hoping that decisions really will be accelerated this season - I'd love to hear something this week...instead of 2-3 weeks from now! :wacko:  

I got my reading list for both of my classes this semester and holy cow, am I going to be reading a lot! Well, let me rephrase that. I will be reading a lot to keep my mind off things. The reading isn't required, only *suggested*. But it's a good distraction. Also, as much as I love you guys, staying away from the forums is also helpful. Or at least, staying away from the thread "Is anyone else losing their damn minds?" thread. :/

Good luck everyone! I'll have a proper cuppa and cookies waiting at the finish line!

Ha ha!  Reading more would be an excellent distraction from all the "Waiting it Out" forum threads...as supportive as everyone is there, it feeds my nervous, anxious obsession! :P Good luck to you, as well, annieca!