Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

A very formulaic form letter, that one was. The rejection letter is a pretty boring genre, at least as far as graduate programs go.

They didn't even bother to type my state in the address or to put a space between my city and its zip code.

Edit: I just noticed I didn't get a space between my first or last names, either.

Edited by czesc

Hey, y'all.  De-lurking after months of being a creep to congratulate all of you on your acceptances, and sympathize all over your rejections, and ask if anyone has any further dirt on NYU?  Apart from what seems like their characteristic all-over-the-place approach, I feel like someone said something about joint program applicants being the ones that are hearing now.  Does anyone know----what are they hearing?  Should I be worried?  My field is post-war American Jewish History, and I am dying in the echoing silence.

Thanks, everyone!  I hope you are all having lovely, lovely evenings.  Cake and bourbon, all of that.

They didn't even bother to type my state in the address or to put a space between my city and its zip code.

Edit: I just noticed I didn't get a space between my first or last names, either.

:lol: hahaha, same here! 

I mean, I knew I was probably going to be rejected because they stated that they weren't going to admit any applicants in the Medieval field, but TWO professors encouraged me to apply and told me that they would love to work with me. Total bummer...

at least they encourage us to continue our interest in history. i wasn't going to, but since i have their encouragement...

I just burst out laughing in the library and had three tables by me turn and glare. Thank you so much for that dry dry dry humor.

To anyone waiting to hear about Notre Dame, I have a friend who interviewed there today. She said all of the finalists for the history PhD were there. It sounds like if you didn't do an interview, it's highly unlikely you'll be admitted. 

To anyone waiting to hear about Notre Dame, I have a friend who interviewed there today. She said all of the finalists for the history PhD were there. It sounds like if you didn't do an interview, it's highly unlikely you'll be admitted. 

That's disappointing. Too bad.

I have not received any replies from the Ohio State University History PhD program yet. What do you think this means, folks? 

I hadn't heard anything from OSU as well, and I sent an e-mail to my POI and asked that I am already rejected or not. Then he wrote that I was recommended by the particular faculty (Islamic), yet it is still not clear how many PhDs they are going to take this year. That means, I think, they sent all acceptances except a few ones, and currently they are trying to decide on the last few ones.

I was accepted to OSU and heard from a POI via email in late January. Then I recieved an official acceptance letter (with some vague information about funding and a fellowship) in early Feburary. Visitiation Day for accepted students is March 22, so I'm not sure what that means in terms of people who haven't heard anything back yet?

What is the consensus on contacting POI to ask about decisions? Is it bad form? Should I just tough it out until the letter/email shows up or is it ok to call/email them? Ultimately,  I don't want to mess anything up or make them think I'm desperate etc. (Though, I am.) 

I don't think so, and I'm sure you're not the only one to contact them. And if an administrator or a graduate director rolls their eyes privately, they would most likely never chastise you for it. Worst that happens is they don't respond or respond saying "We don't have a decision yet and will let you know by the end of March", best is you have some new information you wouldn't have had otherwise.

I just wouldn't contact my POI because I'm trying to make as positive an impression as possible, and don't want to come across as pestering. With anyone else, that isn't really an issue.

and it's officially after 5pm on the east coast, so it looks like another week with no acceptances. here's hoping none of my remaining schools pull a northwestern-style sunday evening nightmare.

congratulations on getting in History Time! even a "backup school" is better than no school at all, and a huge compliment to your abilities