Final Decision Thread

Perhaps it's a bit premature, but I thought it'd be nice to create a thread to track where members officially decide to go with their graduate decisions, allowing for a quick list of where GCers are headed and maybe helping to put people in contact with each other. Most of all, it's nice to celebrate all the great news people hear back and get a macro look at what directions the community is headed for.

Anyway, if you've made a final decision, I think it'd be great to post in here and I could edit together a list in the OP every once in a while. If possible, it'd be helpful to list type of program (MA/PhD), department (English/Rhet/Comp Lit et al.), and even a brief detail of interest area (19th-Century Lit, Victorian, French et al.). If anyone else has suggestions for additional "archival" data, please let me know.

Not sure how many people have decided already, but bump this again closer to April if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

*Bump*

So, I guess I've decided. I'll be spending my next year learning to love whisky, tartan, and gusting winds. Also, linguistics.

I'll be going to the University of Edinburgh in the Fall.

By posting this decision, I also finally have removed myself from the lit/rhet/comp world for the next year, because it's the only program I applied for that is in the Linguistics department, not the English Department.

Exciting things await!

*Bump*

So, I guess I've decided. I'll be spending my next year learning to love whisky, tartan, and gusting winds. Also, linguistics.

I'll be going to the University of Edinburgh in the Fall.

By posting this decision, I also finally have removed myself from the lit/rhet/comp world for the next year, because it's the only program I applied for that is in the Linguistics department, not the English Department.

Exciting things await!

This actually sounds really awesome. Congrats, antecedent!

Arizona State University for me! I never really pictured myself in Arizona until now....it's funny how getting a fully-funded offer can change your opinions about your ability to withstand certain climates.

Arizona State University for me! I never really pictured myself in Arizona until now....it's funny how getting a fully-funded offer can change your opinions about your ability to withstand certain climates.

AZ is a beautiful place to live 9 months out of the year - try to stay exclusively indoors or go somewhere else for 3 months if possible. I hate the politics here and the education system is not very good (I should know, I'm a HS teacher here) but you can see the desert, mountains, pine trees, snow, etc. all in one day if you time it right. The Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Sunset Crater, Meteor Crater... there are so many wonders to be seen. I am so glad I have lived here the last 3 years and I hope you enjoy it! Congratulations on deciding your future :-)

Thanks! Salt Lake has three months of winter where everyone pretty much stays indoors, so I figure Arizona will just kind of be the opposite of that :) Congrats on your acceptance as well!

This actually sounds really awesome. Congrats, antecedent!

Yeah, I've cheered up a lot about things since having made my decision. It feels good to have a plan and a home at a great program!

Thanks Trip :)

Congrats to everyone, glad this thread is getting some use as we're about three weeks from the deadline. I kind of took for granted that you could edit your initial post, but can't seem to find a way to do so? Any ideas?

As of now, I'll add the list into this post:

University of Arizona (Bandreac, Ph.D)

Arizona State University (eriksmegs)

University of Edinburgh (antecedant, Linguistics)

University of Miami, Ohio (perrykm2)

Purdue University (Jbarks)

University of West Virginia (jywayne, Ph.D)

Edited by Galoup11

Congrats to everyone, glad this thread is getting some use as we're about three weeks from the deadline. I kind of took for granted that you could edit your initial post, but can't seem to find a way to do so? Any ideas?

Over in the Fulbright thread, someone created a spreadsheet in Google Docs that anyone can access but only a select few can edit. But it's an idea; we don't even have to have a spreadsheet, it can just be a document with names and schools on it, then post the link to the document here. If you have a gmail account, you can access the document from your Google account anytime after you've opened the initial document.

Over in the Fulbright thread, someone created a spreadsheet in Google Docs that anyone can access but only a select few can edit. But it's an idea; we don't even have to have a spreadsheet, it can just be a document with names and schools on it, then post the link to the document here. If you have a gmail account, you can access the document from your Google account anytime after you've opened the initial document.

Good thinking; threw things in a spreadsheet really quickly, and gave permission to anyone to edit (hopefully my good faith won't prove to be naive). Link is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahfz1Ku8EJp4dExDLWN4Z3N4dUtUWHAxMkh4MldZMEE

Good thinking; threw things in a spreadsheet really quickly, and gave permission to anyone to edit (hopefully my good faith won't prove to be naive). Link is here: https://docs.google....WHAxMkh4MldZMEE

Well done! I edited it to add my degree type (M.Sc. - weird Scottish terminology for a Masters).

I can't wait to add my PhD admit to a list like that in two years. It WILL happen, damnit!