Final Decision Thread

gah, Trip. Why are they taking so long? Especially if some have declined!

I feel like I'm gonna hear at least something this week, regardless of what it may be... at least my spring break is next week so I don't have to worry about concentrating on lesson plans and readings at the critical moment.

You're right, but I'll try to temper my enthusiasm. I'll be positively ecstatic either way. I lean Rutgers though... we'll see what happens.

At any rate, I can't take the pressure anymore. I'm gonna pull a Sammy:

That scene usually makes me burst into tears, though your comment "pull a Sammy" made me chuckle.

I mean, with the music and the acting, especially the painful urgency in Caden's voice--how can anyone not cry?

Trip, if I ever run into you at a conference or something, I'm totally going to get us into a deep Synecdoche, New York conversation. Just sayin. :D

That scene usually makes me burst into tears, though your comment "pull a Sammy" made me chuckle.

I mean, with the music and the acting, especially the painful urgency in Caden's voice--how can anyone not cry?

Trip, if I ever run into you at a conference or something, I'm totally going to get us into a deep Synecdoche, New York conversation. Just sayin. :D

It is a wonderful movie. I've never seen anything so complex and mindbending, yet so affecting at the same time.

I also love the "Dear Diary, I am afraid I'm gravely ill..." part. And the preacher scene. And the end. Basically everything.

Edit: Sorry that doppio and I hijacked the thread. My b.

Edited by TripWillis

fulbright in frankfurt for a year, then yale comp lit phd, which has authorized a deferral. peace out grad cafe.

Might be doing the same thing, except to Russia...wish Fulbright would hurry up with the notification! Either way, hope to meet you in New Haven someday :-)

I think English majors are destined to love it while everyone else hates it.

Indeed! It's a pretty divisive film, though it made a lot of 'Top 10' lists.

Also, Synecdoche, New York is my favorite movie of all time!

I wouldn't say it's my favorite film, but it's definitely in my top 10. I agree with Ebert's declaration: it was probably the greatest film of the decade (2000-2009).

Anyways, sorry for hijacking this thread! Return to posting the results of your awesome application seasons. ^_^

pelevin fan and vordhosbntwin, I take my hat off to you. Well done.

Bahahaha. I mean, thank you, and absolutely well done by vordhosbntwin. But I actually went 1 for 6 this application season, so I'm chalking this one down to dumb luck more than anything I actually did. On a completely unrelated note, saw in another thread that you have a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy tattoo!?! LOVE LOVE LOVE that book/the series. Great choice :-)

Bahahaha. I mean, thank you, and absolutely well done by vordhosbntwin. But I actually went 1 for 6 this application season, so I'm chalking this one down to dumb luck more than anything I actually did. On a completely unrelated note, saw in another thread that you have a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy tattoo!?! LOVE LOVE LOVE that book/the series. Great choice :-)

Well hey, you only need one acceptance, right? And a Yale admittance is something to be proud of :) A Fullbright would really just be the icing on the cake. I should have applied for my year and I didn't, perhaps that's why I'm so impressed!

Haha thanks! I like how many people have enjoyed the series - it makes my tattoo(s) a good conversation starter!

Just accepted my offer from CUNY :)

But... still waiting for an ECF, so if you one of the 16 funded people who has yet to accept/decline, make up your mind soon, pretty please!

Turned down an ECF today, hopefully it gets passed along!

I'm still in limbo between UW-Madison and McGill University... ugh, what nice problems to have, I suppose.

(And Synecdoche and Douglas Adams both rock hard core.)

Just accepted my offer from CUNY :)

But... still waiting for an ECF, so if you one of the 16 funded people who has yet to accept/decline, make up your mind soon, pretty please!

So excited for you! I hope we both wind up there, but if not, I hope you get my ECF! B)

BTW, 16/28 funded?? Wow... CUNY is weird, but I love 'em.

So excited for you! I hope we both wind up there, but if not, I hope you get my ECF! B)

BTW, 16/28 funded?? Wow... CUNY is weird, but I love 'em.

The woman I corresponded with (Carrie Hintz?) said that 16 people who have been offered ECFs have not communicated w/ her at all regarding accepting or rejecting the offer. I don't know how many offers were made total. I think at this point I have decent odds of getting one, but who knows! Also one of my undergrad profs is trying to get me a first year teaching position because I will be on the hook for out of state tuition the first year and needing more than the ECF anyway.